Daves C & W Works

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Re: Daves C & W Works

Post by john coffin »

Interesting Dave,
to me it looks more like BR Maroon not sticking to the teak rather than late dark teak, but then I prefer it newer anyway.

Interesting idea though.

Paul
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Yes Paul it does, but that is only the base coat, top coats to be applied and hopefully
the colour will change.....if not.........................
john coffin

Post by john coffin »

AM sure a dust coat of wonderful powder yellow would solve all the problems :roll:
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Well I hope you feel this is getting better Paul.
As the experiment continues I've lined a bit of it, very poorly on the ends, the lining is done with a brush and cocktail stick to get rid of the blobs,it looks a lot better in real life, photos are very cruel. I'm not sure yet about the brown teak, but it's not too bad considering it was maroon.
I will bring it along to Wakefield this Sunday for comment if any of you call in on the LNER Soc Stand.
Anyway some pics.
Attachments
IMG_7758a.jpg
IMG_7759a.jpg
IMG_7760.JPG
IMG_7761.JPG
john coffin

Post by john coffin »

Yes, Dave, much better :twisted:

Have you thought of other methods for the lining though??
Instead of a brush which is inherently unstable why not a coffee stirrer, wooden or plastic?
They can be dragged over paint, then dragged over the beading, or even a small sponge will
do the same.

Paul
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

No Paul I had not, I will try your method, thank you, the beading on the Hornby carriages is very fine.
john coffin

Post by john coffin »

Thinking more, it might be sensible to use cotton buds, since they will both
take paint well, and are quite "solid".

Plus of course they are cheap!

P
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

I think a modest tidy up with a sharp edge could be all that is required?

See you on Sunday Dave.

John
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Thanks Paul I'm not sure the cotton bud will work as the beading is so thin I feel it will cut into it.
Nothings cheap to us in t glorious north.
Hi John, yes I will see you Sunday, I will get there as soon as I can, let the door know I'm helping you, plus I will have the timetables
with me that JW passed to me for you. Are you bringing anything nice to look at ?.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Even a dirt-cheap bow-pen (the only kind that anybody as careful with money as I am is ever likely to have) can be honed so as to produce very fine lines of enamel paint once the technique has been acquired. I do admit though that my pen can still be infuriatingly difficult to use on occasions, possibly when I'm in the wrong mood and have no time to waste.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Well a great day was had yesterday in Wakefield at the model railway show, lots of LNER/NER talk and the usual mob who have been let out of the asylum for the day, as John and I manned the LNER Soc stand. Nice to see all you members who made yourselves known.
Scottie Dog brought some of his superb NER carriages and a NER A set found its way to York, plus a couple more 3rds as strengtheners, thank you.
Mr King brought one of his superb ECJS dia 79 kits and bucket seats, it was as if Santa came early.
Jonathan was sporting his new look, I could not decide if he looked like Hitler or something you would frighten your children with, but the ladies of Wakefield seemed to find him attractive.
The Whitehouse twins were busy building teaks at a rate of knots, I still don't know if I'm talking to Clive or Richard even though they were wearing name badges....they could have swapped them around you know.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

I remember last year that one of twins was wearing 2 name badges, total confusion.

Yesterday, Richard was doing most of the building, I think.

Great to see everybody. I will be arranging a trip to York in the new year.

John
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Great John it's about time we had a works day out.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

The Hornby thing is progressing well, just glazing to refit, paint the roof and add correct pattern steps to the bogies. It's renumbered to a southern area carriage, I think in reality a 1937 built carriage but as I'm at work I can't remember the date now, I could not find a NER version for my time frame the nearest date being early 40's.
Also started whilst some paint dried a Dia 79 ECJS dinner as supplied by Mr King, these are absolutely brilliant castings and a credit to him.
Clive's (Whitehouse) parting shot last Sunday at Wakefield Show was....so we will see it finished for next years Scalefour North
and my reply was 4 letters and 3 letters....but you never know now, but don't hold your breath.
Attachments
IMG_7766.JPG
IMG_7765.JPG
IMG_7764.JPG
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

In the back ground I have been busy with another BG, and following on from the Hornby experiment
this will be finished the same way. Some may remember I built 2 of these many years ago, well this one is to
replace one I gave away, and has also had the steps added, I forgot them first time round on the early builds and had to glue them on
later not a very satisfactory solution. So far just painted in etch primer yesterday, gently warmed under the grill, quick spray outside
back in the still warm grill and repeat on other side...and before all you elf & safety people start, yes it's inflammable but the grill
was turned off before it was put under (don't try this at home unless supervised by an adult, usual T's & C's apply)
Also had a bit of spare time whilst off work with a man cold so tidied my work room up, I was working in an area of about
one carriage laid on it's side, floor covered and bits everywhere......I found lots of things I thought I had lost
and lost several thing I thought I still had...such is life.
Mr King of this parish has very kindly sent some notes on the Dia 79.... which very timely has stopped me making a balls up of it, thank you.
Attachments
IMG_7768A.jpg
IMG_7767A.jpg
IMG_7770A.jpg