Daves C & W Works

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Daves C & W Works

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I struggled and swore for years Dave, on account of the limitations of aerosols and / or just brush painting. I then bought a Humbrol mini-sprayer, running that off canned gas or a well-inflated spare car tyre. It was an improvement on previous options but still caused problems and profanity because of the limited supply of propellant at a sustained high pressure. The passive collection of paint, just sucking it up through a tube, required the paint to be quite thin to suit the limited vacuum that the flow of propellant could produce, and there just wasn't enough power to blow even the tiniest stray solid paint particles out through the nozzle. I kept having to strip the thing down to clear blockages. I then got a Precision paints re-fillable aerosol and rather liked it, bar the cost of the cans of the special propellant (and you couldn't use the far cheaper lighter-gas instead for most of the paints that I used). The nozzle hardly ever blocked and I was able to get a good finish quickly in a very limited number of coats. Precision paints then changed hands and stopped supplying the propellant at shows. The only way then to buy the propellant cans was by post, uneconomic except by the dozen, but even when stored in perfect conditions the gas slowly leaked off! Later they stopped supplying the propellant altogether.
In the end I released the moths from my wallet and bought a proper compressor with a proper tank-shaped air tank, the kind that lives in a shed or small workshop, not a desk top miniature, and it was immediately obvious that I should have bought one years earlier. It just works! The Humbrol mini sprayer has gone too, having entirely ceased to pick up paint and refusing to respond to every cure that I attempted, replaced by a basic Badger single-action airbrush. No complaints. Go on, treat yourself.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

Now we know what this heat wave is all about, the Moth's from Graeme's wallet have congregated above England
and shut off the rain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :roll: :o

Although I have not yet tried it, I do have a HVLP spray set, which is the modern way to paint houses etc,
and I am sure that too would work with the proper paint. Certainly more cost effective probably than a
badger and big compressor.

It is surprising that Badger propellant seems to stay in the cans, but Precision cannot make theirs wonder
what they are doing differently from other manufacturers like Halfords??

If you do a lot of spraying, then you need to consider a compressor, because of the cost of propellant.

Paul
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Thanks Graeme and Paul, I will have to get a compressor and airbrush.

As well as working on the D49 I have also been altering the Rapido LNER gunpowder van and the Oxford GER van.
Both are finished as supplied in very pale supposedly LNER grey which as we all know is not correct, it should be a dark grey.
So the lettering was rubbed off with IPA and a coat of Tamiya panzer grey applied, it's so handy the Germans used LNER grey. Lettering to follow, just got to decide on the number for the GER van.
Attachments
20220814_155958.jpg
20220819_132625.jpg
20220814_155946.jpg
20220819_152004 a.jpg
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Transfers applied and a coat of Humbrol matt cote applied to seal transfers, just needs weathering.
Attachments
20220820_173723.jpg
20220820_173706.jpg
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

One more thing you could do on the GE van is to correct the brake lever on one side as Oxford has modelled the van incorrectly with Morton clutches on both sides. You'd need to check a photo to make sure you did the correct side in relation to the brake rods.
Andrew
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Thank you Andrew, I was aware of the double clutch and I don't know if I can be bothered to alter
it as when running on the layout I wonder if it will be that noticable. I intend to run it on the next Ingelby
running day and will decide if anyone comments. No doubt Jonathan will comment now if he reads this.

I had a good day out today at the expoEM Summer event in Wakefield, it was a pity John had to go on holiday and miss it :lol: .
Nice to meet up with so many friends and traders, spent far to much money, but then I would only spend it on gas and electricity
this winter and it was a warm sunny day and winter is a long way orf.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Well having finished the Rapido gunpowder van apart from weathering it and whilst looking for something else I
discovered I had made a mistake with the numbering....as usual. Thinking I would just renumber it by adding 1 to
the number 11 and getting 12 it would be still be in the series.................oh no in reality the wagons were
numbered 147507 to 511 and 260928 to 947. Info for anyone else to avoid my mistake. So I took the 2 off and
replaced it with a 0. Good job nobody spotted the mistake :oops: .

Whilst at Wakefield last weekend I bought a 3d printed NER dia K1 cattle wagon it seems a nice kit. I've replaced the
printed buffers with 51L buffers and added handrails and bars. The bars have holes in the body to locate them, just needed
drilling out. I'm waiting for a replacement roof that was missprinted and spotted by Mr King bless him.
The wagon is by Furness Railway Wagon Co
Attachments
20220827_111821.jpg
20220826_145421.jpg
20220826_145434.jpg
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

A few days ago I sent a drawing of a BG regulator box to Floyd Kraemer who made the buffet car seats.
He has very kindly produced these, and today 4 arrived. So my BG's can have these added to their underframes.
The boxes are exquisite with bolt detail and a very thin handle, amazing.
Pictures attached, these show the box as recieved and not primed yet, once painted I'm sure the detail will be more noticable.
Attachments
20220915_134632.jpg
20220915_134655.jpg
20220915_134705.jpg
20220915_134716.jpg
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Evening all and I hope you have all had a good Christmas.

Back in about 2019ish I cut out the floor to a NER H4 stores van, I have just found the drawing I did and have restarted the model.
The floor has been adjusted to suit the raised tanks and the sides have been started.
Attachments
H4 FLOOR.jpg
H4 SIDE.jpg
Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

Afternoon Dave, very good Christmas thanks, hope you did too?

Interesting vehicle, the H4 Stores van: is it fairly similar to the H2 and H3 and were they all originally built as stores vans or were they converted from other vehicles?
Chas
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Thank you Chaz I did.

To answer your question, there were 5 diagrams of stores vans, all of them specially constructed for the job, H2 to H4 were similar.
Dia H1 was an early 6 wheel van with horizontal boarding, I don't know how many were built, prob. 1.
Dia H2 was a vertically boarded bogie van with a central birdcage lookout on the roof 2 built in 1902 no.s 2 & 5323.
Dia H3 was a vertically boarded bogie van 2 built in 1902 no.s 23286 & 63229.
Dia H4 was a steel bodied van bogie van 1 built in 1909 no. 84.
Dia H5 was a steel bodied 6 wheel van built in 1910 no. 33630.

I hope that helps.
I made a model of the H3 a couple of years ago, but can I find it...no, heaven knows where it is.

I managed a bit more today and discovered I had cut one of the sided too high, should be easy to rectify I hope, depends if the windows are to big.
Picture shows a bit of progress and part of the cad drwg I did at work for it.
Attachments
H4 SIDE (2).jpg
Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

Thanks Dave, very interesting. Added to my to-do list...
Chas
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

I don't have your H3 stores van Dave, but here is the last time I saw it, on Tony Wright's Little Bytham layout.
DSC_4806 Dave Jobling's Stores Van on LB smaller.jpg
John
Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

Lovely looking model!
Chas
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Thanks for posting that pic John, I wish I knew where it is hiding, it's one of the reasons I'm building the H4 to replace it.
It will turn up when I finish the H4.

Thank you Chaz, earlier on in this tangle of mutterings you will see how I built the H3.