Daves C & W Works

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Daves C & W Works

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

With the amount of time everyone has at the moment, got to be at least an hour !

Lets start off, Thompsons re-build of Great Northern.....................Bad Idea :lol: :lol:

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Ok Manna who's this Thompson bloke your on about.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

You know the guy, thought the A1/3's needed a bigger pair of.........

manna
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

dt.jpg
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

manna
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

:lol: :lol:
You two are like Laurel & Hardy
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Don't worry Dave, it will soon be over. There's a prisoner in hut C who produces excellent forgeries. He is working on an Ausweis for you right now. In fact, he has asked you to confirm the correct spelling of Jobbo.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

... and he said "Good Luck".
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Hope he can do 'All line rovers'.

manna
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Morning Graeme, that is very kind of him, yes that's how it's spelt, don't add El or 'the merciful' or I will be stuffed at the border.

Well you lot are certainly entertaining, made me laugh.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

A bit more done, I've fitted a beautiful little dynamo to the underside. This is a 3d print
that Mike Trice very kindley gave me last year, so this is the first time I have had a chance to use one.
Drips added to the roof a over the doors and the cornice painted, lining and transfers complete, so nearly finished now.
Attachments
IMG_0067.JPG
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Another update from Stalag Luft 15 Hut 2.
Lots been achived with this dull cooler weather, but nothing major, just little things that take time finishing jobs.
1st, The little BG, roof fixed and I was not impressed with the fit, so a lot of sanding and cutting and a bit of filling, but it sort of fits now. I also modified the ends slightly to allow the roof to sit down, this involved cutting little flats at the edges as the ends do not allow for the flats on the underside of the roof moulding. To improve the look and cover the still poor joint I added the cornice using 15 x 30thou plastic strip, I think it really improves the look, but very fiddly to apply. I started in the middle and worked outwards. Just needs couplings and some lamp irons fitted and its done I think.
2nd. As the above is nearly complete and keeping the theme going I dug out this old Kirk non-vestibule carriage, built in the 70's, infact my second Kirk kit I built, but never finished, a theme here I think. So as the roof was never finished I decided to finish it, pics show the work. I had painted the body and applied transfers when I built it, there is some new teak to represent a repair, not much to do and it will be finished.......not to soon either.
3rd. The first Kirk kit I ever built, bought by mistake thinking in those days it was a vestibuled BG...oh how we learn. Anyway cornice painted teak, and lable boards being applied, cell box stay added.

Remember stay at home, go to work, but stay at home etc etc.
Attachments
IMG_0071.JPG
IMG_0068.JPG
IMG_0069.JPG
IMG_0072.JPG
Last edited by Dave on Tue May 12, 2020 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

The pic of the full brake as mentioned above.
Attachments
IMG_0070.JPG
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

That bit of fiddling about to accommodate the flats on the edges of the roof does make the Kirk end look more like what it should have been "straight out of the packet" - but wasn't.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Thank you Graeme, I am very pleased with the result and it now means I have to upgrade all my other Kirks...bugger, it's like painting the Forth bridge they are never finished, you are always upgrading as you get better.
That end view of the little BG is a very cruel close up showing every blemish, it does not look that crude in real life, strange how the camera shows it up ...always.