Daves C & W Works

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Daves C & W Works

Post by Dave »

Although I work next to the river, and it's flooding, we seem to be able to get there with no problems....bugger, so starts the next 3 day week, roll on the start of the weekend (Wednesday).
Well the BR livery has started to be covered up with lovely teak. As it's a 1938 built item, the teak
will be finished as very new, hence the orangey golden brown colours, when varnished it will look a lot better....I hope.
Attachments
IMG_8197.JPG
IMG_8311.JPG
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Stalag Luft 15 Hut 2.
Well life here is fine at the moment, the guards are fair allowing us out every now and then, and telling us about their
holidays in Poland.
Before we were incarcerated, several weeks ago John Smart and I met Scottiedog in the Maltings, and carriages were exchanged. Well I got a red cross parcel from Colin at Alan Gibsons the other day., lots of carriage wheels. So I have now regauged them from em to oo. These ex NER carrriages are exquisit and will join the others, just need a G5. Pics show the carriages.
I have not managed a lot of modelling since the last post, lost my mojo, getting the carriages rewheeled has helped, plus I have restarted work on the little BG.
Anyway must go lights out soon.
Attachments
IMG_0027.JPG
IMG_0028.JPG
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

I think Mr Fozard was rather under-rated as a modeller. What beautiful models they are.

Since our meeting in The Maltings little modelling has happened, that perhaps is no surprise. I have no need to re-gauge either.

(I wonder if I can get a 4-carriage portion of NE excursion stock running on Clayton, going through to Halifax?)

However, much is happening on the WTT copying projects.

John
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Your reappearance Dave much appreciated by those of us well south of the Equator. It has livened up life in our little 'bubble' (our Government's term for the small group we're only allowed to interact with - just the memsahib and me in our 'bubble' - and therefore excludes any modellers so look forward to seeing more from you on the forum).

Graeme L
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I'd never have thought of hardening the paint in the crock-pot. Does it work well? Or is that a crack-pot idea?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

I agree John, keep up the good work on the timetables.
Graeme, thank you for your kind comments, for you I will try my best. Take care.
Atlantic, no it does not work, but it makes them very tender mmmmmmm.

I think I need to get out more after that.......GUARDS
iainkirk
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by iainkirk »

JASd17 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:13 am I think Mr Fozard was rather under-rated as a modeller. What beautiful models they are.

Since our meeting in The Maltings little modelling has happened, that perhaps is no surprise. I have no need to re-gauge either.

(I wonder if I can get a 4-carriage portion of NE excursion stock running on Clayton, going through to Halifax?)

However, much is happening on the WTT copying projects.

John
It is sad that Mr Fozards etches are no longer available.
His passing was a tragic loss; a lovely bloke and, agreed, a talented modeller.
Perfection is impossible, however I may choose to serve perfection - Robert Fripp
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Stalag Luft 15 Hut 2 update.
I agree Iain.
Well I sorted my workbench out as an inspection was due....we don't want privileges withdrawn do we in these times. Lo and behold I found the lost glazing from the Hornby brake comp I had repainted, so glazing complete, plus I finished making the bogie stepboards and got those fixed, nearly finished, just a few odd bits to do. The little BG has moved along a bit too, I am going to alter the teak,it looks a bit too chessboard if you know what I mean (I don't). The guards have made us sample daytime television to try and break us....never, we tell them about our holidays in Scunthorpe...ha.
Attachments
IMG_0035a.jpg
IMG_0037a.jpg
IMG_0038a.jpg
IMG_0039a.jpg
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

Holidays in Scunthorpe, now I know where your tan colour came from.
going down the main drag and get an overall David Dickenson!!!!!!

Good work Dave, I am sure the guards will eventually understand that
you a recidivist modeller and cannot be changed or cured.

Paul
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Lovely work Dave, glad to have you back.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Well Paul at least the colour is not self applied like Mr Dickinson's.
Thank you Manna that is very kind of you.
Well not a lot to show at the moment, been lining the BG, what a mind numbing task, when I get a bit more done I will post a pic.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Dave wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:06 am Stalag Luft 15 Hut 2 update.
I agree Iain.
Well I sorted my workbench out as an inspection was due....we don't want privileges withdrawn do we in these times. Lo and behold I found the lost glazing from the Hornby brake comp I had repainted, so glazing complete, plus I finished making the bogie stepboards and got those fixed, nearly finished, just a few odd bits to do. The little BG has moved along a bit too, I am going to alter the teak,it looks a bit too chessboard if you know what I mean (I don't). The guards have made us sample daytime television to try and break us....never, we tell them about our holidays in Scunthorpe...ha.
Seeing as you mention chessboards - look out for someone tying a knot in the cord of the ceiling lamp... :P
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

That was Stalag Luft 17, Dave's tunneling out of Stalag Luft 15, mind you he might bump into the the tunnel from SL17.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Stalag Luft 15 Hut 2...still confined to quarters.
I will 65447.
Manna, gave up on the tunnel, lost my way, still now enjoying the sun instead, a supply of beer has been delivered.

Well the lining is now complete and the transfers are being applied. What a ball aching job lining is.

A bit of light relief last night (stop sniggering), John and I video called Graeme in New Zealand, I was amazed he was not upside down, but John and I seemed to end up mirror imaged, how we laughed.
Attachments
IMG_0040.JPG
IMG_0041.JPG
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Well as still confined to the hut I look forward to the video chat tonight with the far flung edge of the British Empire
and the nearer bit of Leeds area, beer is in the fridge, no doubt tea in the colonies.
So a start has been made on the cell box for the little BG. Plus during a rash moment (not that type of rash matron) I started to teak another
Hornby Comp, which I had got cheap from some toy fair and had stripped down and put away. I'm going to try Mike Trices method on this one, seeing as he sent me a video, seems a shame not to try as I have all the items. The only difference is, asit was a blood and custard version I have painted, roughly the bottom with Vallejo 016 Golden Yellow, we will see how it goes.
I have so many things to finish I keep swapping around so I don't get bored, plus adding more music to my ipod, a bit of Wilko Johnson, and some Ten Years After.
Attachments
IMG_0044.JPG
IMG_0045.JPG