Daves C & W Works

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Daves C & W Works

Post by Dave »

Thanks Jonathan.
During my discussion on these with David on the NERA stand, we concluded that as they seemed to be painted engineers red in BR days (I have been told by 2 people they remember seeing them in red or maroon) they probably were engineers blue in LNER days. Which is why I'm building one as I thought another blue van would look nice with the 2 stores vans. As you say it's pure conjecture and not based on any known historical fact.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Jonathan,

I wonder if colourisers (?) work better with later b/w film types? That is 1950s and 1960s rather than 1920s and 1930s.

I find the people who colourise b/w photos think they are doing everyone a favour, when in actual fact in most cases they are introducing errors, which many people will not find, including model manufacturers.

The Gresley Society have some of the worst examples in the GO.

John
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Been very busy with life so not a lot of done on the model front.
Still the Pooleys van has had a coat of Halfords grey primer and the tiresome task of adding rivets,
The van sides have been part assembled, when the rivets are finished the 2 halves will be painted
blue, then glazing will be added and the van assembled.
Attachments
20230417_122716.jpg
20230417_122726.jpg
Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

JASd17 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:16 pm
I find the people who colourise b/w photos think they are doing everyone a favour, when in actual fact in most cases they are introducing errors, which many people will not find, including model manufacturers.

John
I think you're right there, John. One of the problems with the Interweb is the way that things that are perhaps less historically accurate appear later in searches alongside material of a more scholarly nature: google doesn't distinguish in the way that we do. Not only that, but the captions - or excerpts of web pages that appear under photos on initial search results - frequently don't make the origin of the material clear, even if further reading clarifies.

Well, people probably said much the same thing when Johannes Guttenberg was talking up his new printing press in the pubs and bars of downtown Mainz in the 1450s: "people will just believe whatever he puts out", they probably said, "it's not like a handwritten manuscript that we know is true..."
Chas
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Chas, I wasn't there, but your point is well made!

John
Dave S
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Dave S »

For historical accuracy I'll think you'll find it was Oliver Cromwell who said "don't believe everything you read on the internet"
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

An often repeated fallacy. In fact it was:
images.jpg
images.jpg (6.31 KiB) Viewed 5016 times
Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

Dave S wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:14 am For historical accuracy I'll think you'll find it was Oliver Cromwell who said "don't believe everything you read on the internet"
jwealleans wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 9:28 am An often repeated fallacy. In fact it was:
images.jpg
Gents, excellent quotes both - can't make up my mind which I like more! :lol:
Chas
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

JASd17 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:16 pm I find the people who colourise b/w photos think they are doing everyone a favour, when in actual fact in most cases they are introducing errors, which many people will not find, including model manufacturers.
So long as the colourised image is clearly stated to be so (ideally with some reference to the method employed) there is no great problem. After all, no 'perfect' colour image is possible, because colour is an artefact finally of each individual's vision system, dependent on many external and not fully controllable factors. (As a 'divergent trichromat' I am regularly aware of this.)
Dave S
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Dave S »

jwealleans wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 9:28 am An often repeated fallacy. In fact it was:

images.jpg
Only just seen this, I can confirm that it isn't a fallacy as I've seen the original etchings for Cromwells avatar.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Well very slow progress on the Pooleys van, I blame brexit and the shortage of skilled labour down at the works.
The imps are demanding payment.......disgraceful, next they will want food, back to victorian and tory values....

Still the body has been assembled, sprayed in white primer, windows glazed and bits of wire added.

Well while the workers struggle on I'm orf to the pub, I think I deserve a drink supervising them.

I hope to see the usual mob on Sunday for the last run on Ingelby before Dr Beeching closes the line, it will be a sad day.
Attachments
IMG_6776.JPG
IMG_6777.JPG
IMG_6778.JPG
IMG_6779.JPG
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Ingleby facing Beeching? Only been open a short while hasn't it? Do explain for the uninformed peasants please. :?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

That's really one for Scottiedog, but I'll do my best and he can correct me as and when he passes this way.

Ingleby has been built in leased premises. The lease is up for renewal and acceptable terms for that renewal have not been made available. Therefore the premises will need to be vacated.

The layout has been designed with this prospect in mind and will migrate back to Scottiedog Towers in its original end to end format.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Less drastic than it might have been then. Good job he built-in a Plan B.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
swhite01
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by swhite01 »

Great modelling on the van Dave a real inspiration,
Steve