Daves C & W Works

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Re: Daves C & W Works

Post by Graeme Leary »

Hi Dave,

Looking vg and have you used the 16BA cheese head bolts for the thingamejig holding the top of the electric jumper cables as previously discussed or are the ones in your pic part of the moulding of the kit? Your BG end is a vast improvement on the earlier Hornby model ends, although their recent manifestation of carriage ends are more accurate.
Speak Friday.

Graeme L
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Morning Graeme,
Yes they are the little 16ba bolts, look back 2 pages I think and there is a pic of them installed before painting.
Beers in the fridge ready for the chat, you will have tea no doubt as it will be breakfast for you, John will be on cooking sherry no doubt.
Whilst chatting last night to Paul Craig via tins and string between huts, he kindly pointed out that the pic of the end of the little BG is not symmetrical, I had noticed that the buffers were out but as I drilled them out through the moulded ones and fixed them not a lot I could do. So looking again Paul is correct, as usual. As I did not build the thing we thought the ends were molded like that as both ends are exactly the same. Afterwards I wondered if the builder had filed the ends to suit the narrow body width, I think mr Kirk may have made one end fits all. Anyway it now annoys me, thanks Paul, but I can't alter it, and when it's on the layout you will not notice.........I hope.
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

Dave,
must confess that despite knowing you quite well, I felt it was a bit cheeky of me to comment on your work, in view
of my lack of modelling prowess, and recent modelling, but from sorting out some of my stuff for new test etching, I know there are things
I miss from being so close.

Now I have to pray that the modified artwork for the GC tender is ok :oops:

Good to talk, but we must get a better quality piece of string, the tin cups seem fine, I think we have been too cheap on
the string to buy, but what do you expect from a Yorkshire man and one from Lincolnshire :roll:

I have been asked to keep a lert, but they do seem somewhat rare in West London, maybe if some one sees a spare one, they
can send it off to me!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Don't worry Paul, you know my view on criticism, if you put your models on view you have to except it and I like constructive criticism it helps you improve, It's a bonus if someone likes it. Keep pointing out the crap bits.
Investing in better string, I think it's called rope.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Will the 'rope' stretch to north NZ?

'See you' tomorrow. No further progress here, just copying.

John
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

I think it might John, we will find out tomorrow.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Upgrading my first Kirk kit continues, vac pipe added to side, brass handles fixed,ends have ci plate and lighting sockets added, plus some filling of gaps.
Photo with 5p shows size of electrical socket.
Attachments
IMG_0142.JPG
IMG_0143.JPG
IMG_0140.JPG
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Great work Dave, shows exactly how it should be done. Now I must chase up that guy here who said he could get me 16BA (or was it BA16) cheese head bolts.

Graeme L
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Thank you Graeme.

Well a bit more done, steam pipe and trap added, and now painted, just need to fit 1 vac pipe to end which I forgot, add missing transfers and a quick satin varnish and I think it's finished. So along with Mr Kings ECJS dinning thingy which is progressing slowly I recently managed to got a D186 open third, which I have stripped down. I have repaired the trussing which was snapped, with bits of NS wire inserted down the verticals, and the other bits a groove was cut in the back and wire laid in it. Seems to have worked. I wanted one so I could use the bucket seats Mike Trice gave me last year, you may remember I test painted a couple, and one is on the floor plate.
Attachments
IMG_0146.JPG
IMG_0147.JPG
IMG_0148.JPG
IMG_0149.JPG
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Open 3rd is ready for assembly, and an LNER Loco Coal wagon completed.

Any idea of the make of kit, I built it years ago 70's but now painted and finished.
Attachments
IMG_0162.JPG
IMG_0159.JPG
IMG_0160.JPG
IMG_0161.JPG
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Ashby? Possibly Kirk before that?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Colin Ashby certainly - I've not ever seen one of those with a Kirk label.
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

Pretty sure Kirk did it first, my first was probably late 70s.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Thank you gents for your replies, I think I might have got it then from Ian Kirk as it was as far as I
remember built in the late 70's before we moved house, but I will never know for certain, thanks
for the info.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Well the Dia186 is reborn, toilets and entrance vestibule added, and the 4 metal wings in the saloon.
The interior has had a coat of LNER cow shit colour or Vallejo 103 German ww2 camo beige. One has to wonder
what was going through the heads of the people who decided to outshop these carriages in such a dire interior colour scheme.
Attachments
IMG_0164.JPG
IMG_0163.JPG