Daves C & W Works

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Re: Daves C & W Works

Post by Graeme Leary »

Cow shit colour Dave? Having finally found a local shop here in Auckland that stocks Vallejo I must check out that little gem which sounds more interesting than WW2 Camo beige. (I presume if is not a variation of the 'whites' you showed us last skype session.

However, on the model paint topic, a local kit builder uses an 'extremely' dull matt finish dark grey for the roofs of his vans which represents I think how the roofs of vans and carriages would look after running with cinders, soot etc in the air. Are there any recommendations out there for this type of paint (the finish of which is much duller than other matt finish model paints available out here) . Perhaps there is a Vallejo product but it will be some time before I can check out for myself.

Graeme L
NewZealand
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I mix a little talc into my roof paint, Graeme, but I have no idea how that would work with acrylics. It's a Martyn Welch idea, not mine.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Graeme.
Cow shite was a term used by the late great Len Clark when we were working on the opens on the NYMR.
I use Vallejo 168 black grey for my roofs now. Thinned with water and applied in as many thin coats as required.
Using water seems to matt it down. I use talc with enamel but not tried it with acrylics.
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Thanks Jonathon and Dave. Will try the talc with acrylics (thinned with water) first to see how it goes - have plenty of acrylic dark greys (but not Vallejo yet as only just found out who stocks it here) and the good lady has offered me a smidgeon of her talc. If not a good result then will try enamels.

Graeme
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Further to my last - as suggested have used talc mixed in with Tamilya's Dark Iron (as haven't yet bought Dave's Vallejo 168 Black Grey) but also added some Black Oxide powder. This gave a good depth of colour and the fairly watery mix has dried to a very matt look and with the type of shaded streaking that I feel has a fairly authentic look about it.

Graeme
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Glad it worked for you Graeme.

So onwards and upwards with the D186.
I have added the small hoppers on the ends and down pipes to take the water from the rainstrip. Started the teak finish,
always the bit I enjoy and I do it differently each time as I try to get the colour I want, always experimenting.
Roof has had all the old torpedo vents removed and the holes filled and redrilled in the correct locations. It had 9
but only needs 7, rainstrip and label board holders added, plus the alarm gear hardware added to one end, I'm quite pleased
with how they have turned out.
Attachments
IMG_0172.JPG
IMG_0171.JPG
IMG_0167.JPG
IMG_0169.JPG
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Well done than man - looking great and more inspiration for when I get on to the Isinglass d95 kits, probably next week.

I have now bought some of your recommended Vallejo 168/Grey Black and it has covered much better (and dried to a very nice even flat finish which I think is the desired result) than my previous Black oxide mixed in with Tamiya's 'Dark Iron'. As an aside is this a colour and finish you would recommend for your D186 roof (and any/all other teak coaches that are meant to represent their appearance after some period of working - or would it be too dark/dull)?

Speak Sunday/Monday am here.

Graeme
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Well it's been a while since I did an update, that's cos I ain't done much, been far too busy knocking the house about, renovating the great entrance hall, decorating the east wing and knocking the kitchen about and opening it up to the north wing.

So on to the boring stuff.

Dia 186, all glazed, seats and tables fitted, new homemade bulb angle solebars fitted.

LNER Trestrol. Some of you may remember last year I had 2 Trestrols on the go, the one I completed was the second one. The original one I was going to use I had cut too short. At the time I said I thought it would never get finished, well never say never. It kept looking at me every time I opened the cupb'd, and Scottiedog wanted to run my other Trestrol on his superb layout on Saturday..........so I thought what about 2.
Taking it down yesterday I had one short body, one original bogie and one correct length bogie. So upwards and onwards I split the body and inserted a
new piece to give the correct length, chopped the other bogie up and started fitting Mr Franks buffers I had in stock for it.
Attachments
IMG_0493.JPG
IMG_0494.JPG
IMG_0492.JPG
IMG_0491.JPG
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Camera poised for Saturday.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

It will be a bit of fun if they derail, we won't run them over point 6.
scottiedog
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by scottiedog »

Dave

Point 6 has been fettled! That said it will be interesting to see if the Trestrol will make it into the goods yard, on Saturday. That is your challenge for the day. All will be captured on camera for the world to see!

Looking forward to seeing you and Jonathan on Saturday. Jonathan was down last week and shunted the yard to his content.

David.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Well what a shame we could not meet up the other Saturday, due to Teeside being locked up, some say about time, I could not possibly comment,
hopefully we can all meet up again soon, I missed playing trains and eating pork growlers
Anyway, it's allowed me to slow up on the Trestrol, bogies complete except for brake wheels, even got 3 links fitted, especially for that layout, mor work on the body, you can see all the white plastic. Not to be left out the dia186 has got a brass and plastic truss and a couple of tanks fitted,
it's so exciting but probably not.
Attachments
IMG_0824.JPG
IMG_0825.JPG
IMG_0826.JPG
IMG_0827.JPG
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Dave,

I look forward to seeing your excellent work, when that is possible. Sadly, here that is more remote than ever.

John
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Yes John it will be great to meet up when we can.....in the Maltings, plus I have bits for you.

Well the other day a packet dropped into my sticky little mits from my friend Paul Craig of this parish.

Inside some test etches of LNER and LMS wagon D numberplate's, label clips and PO wagon plates.
these are quite exquisite, the number plates not only have LNER, LMS on them but numbers as well.
If you zoom in you might be able to see them given my crap photography. If and when they become available
I would recommend them and yes they are 4mm scale.
Attachments
IMG_0868.JPG
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

Thanks Dave,
when I first received my test etches for a couple of locos I am also completing,I wasn't sure what those more expert than me
might think of them. But now I have heard from both you and Jonathan of this parish, I am happy that it might well be useful
accessory for those who want to super detail their wagon under-frames.

The initial drawings are for 1923-1925, with proper numbers for 12 ton open wagons for both the LMS and LNER.
Still have to work out how many to put on an etch, and how much to charge, but will see what other feedback
we get.

Not sure if they will work in 2mm, but will I think look pretty good in 7mm if there is a demand.

Paul