Daves C & W Works

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Daves C & W Works

Post by Dave »

Trestrol C.

Progress rocketing along.
Photo 1 - Trestles completed, and sat on painted wagon.
Photo 2 - Trestle close up
Photo 3 - Trestles primed and on wagon
Photo 4 - Close up of trestles, it's a lot easier to see now they are primed and not white plastic.
Attachments
IMG_6566.JPG
IMG_6568.JPG
IMG_6569.JPG
IMG_6570.JPG
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Afternoon all.

Triplet.
Sides now soldered together, on inspection whilst drilling the hinge positions I found the quality control was poor some of the sides had moved whilst soldering and had a tapering joint.... bugger thought I, sack that man I heard. Anyway I separated the offending sides with a bakers blowtorch (handy little blighters) and last night redid them.....all fine now, also did the ends, so we are plodding on.

Trestrol C.

I painted the trestle in dark grey and applied a painted new wood finish to the timber facing packs, after looking a photo's I think the timber was painted grey. Not sure which way to go. The final wagon will be finished as just built so very clean, we will see.
Attachments
IMG_6576.JPG
IMG_6573.JPG
IMG_6572.JPG
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Looking good Dave,

While packing for moving I had a look in a JLRT box and found etches for a CPL triplet set that I had forgotten that I had....
MikeTrice
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by MikeTrice »

End profile will need correcting on the Comet etchings.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

You lucky person Rob...lots of fun to be had, if you have the time after your move.... but you will have lots of time.
I have not been able to save that drawing as a .dwg yet my converter needs updating, not forgotten and will send when I get it sorted, otherwise I will print it as a pdf to the correct scale for you. That will be another fun project for you.

Thanks Mike, I knew the Comet ends were inaccurate as I remembered reading a very good description of how to improve this and Ian Kirk kits you did some years ago, but where I don't remember. In hindsight I should have done the correction before fixing the bottom bracket, but my dodge is this see pics.
1st - The Comet end
2nd - MJT roof against the comet end, you can see the discrepancy (I hope).
3rd - Plastic insert scribed to roof profile sat behind Comet end, you can see the difference. Plastic to be trimmed to suit.
4th - Rear view showing plastic end which will be glued to the rear of the brass end, and fitting above the end bracket.
I will then build up the front face to be flush with the brass end where its required, when the gangways are fitted and all painted, you may not be able to tell.
I hope that is all clear, maybe there is a better way of correcting the end.
Attachments
IMG_6704.JPG
IMG_6705.JPG
IMG_6706.JPG
IMG_6707.JPG
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Trestrol C

Not a lot of progress other things taking up my time, as usual.
Anyway sorry the pics are crap, don't know what went wrong, but who cares.
Bogies have had a bit of work, angle added to rear, brake guard added to front to stop 3 link fouling the brake linkage, the screw threaded bit is a bit of brass capillary tube, you can just see it on the r/h side, but it's loose and not fixed in place yet, it will be central.
Main body, bits of filling, additional rivets applied, infills added to top of bogie pivots, makers plates and weight plates added to sides.
More rivets to apply to infills, then a final repaint. The bogie pivots have a countersunk BA bolt soldered through the Triang rivet and projecting below to take a reduced height nut to clear the axle, to fix the bogie. I think it's 6BA but can't remember, could be 4BA.
Attachments
IMG_6718.JPG
IMG_6720.JPG
IMG_6721.JPG
IMG_6722.JPG
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I do love to see toys from the time of my childhood turned into good models.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Phew Dave, not sure if I'm worthy to be in your company when we meet in 4 weeks. Amazing work.

Graeme
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Well thank you Graeme (Atlantic)

Graeme (NZ) Thank you,I won't make you kneel all the time, flat on you stomach will do eyes averted.
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Dave, that's a relief as my wife has asked me to point out that with the state of my joints, there will be very little kneeling. If I can't kneel to her it would be bad tactics to kneel to you. Maybe just a basic 'grovel' will suffice.
Graeme (NZ)
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Trestrol C.

Further to John Isherwood mentioning the bogies were to short and was I going to alter them, well I thought I might.

When I checked my bogie GA this weekend I found the wheelbase was 2mm longer than the Triang bogie...so thought I, 2 mm strip added will do the job.
I have a couple of spare bogies, so I chopped one up to see if it was an easy proposition. The wheelbase is 5'-6" (22mm) on the model it's 20mm, so where to cut. There are 2 holes in the sides between the axleboxes, they are to close so I cut down the centre between them, and inserted the 2mm wide strip. This worked great so I then cut the next one, this went very well, so I must be able to saw a straight true line. So the bogie is 4mm longer o/a, you then have to reduce the rear frame length from the c/l of the last axlebox to 1'-7½" (6.5mm), this brings the bogie back to almost the same length o/a as the Triang one, except for the axlebox c/c's.The rear part of the frame was then profiled to match the GA with a curved top. So I have 2 completed bogies with added detail and one modified bogie, I don't know if the difference is worth the effort, photo attached which shows easily what I was on about.

I went to Pickering model railway show on Sat, a nice little show, met a few friends and had a laugh with Tony W. about putting models in the oven.........
Attachments
IMG_6724.JPG
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Well apart from a quick spray over the transfers with satin varnish the Trestrol C is complete, it will not be weathered
as it entered traffic at the end of 1938, which is near the end of my modelling period, so it can look new.
Johns transfers really do finish it, the wagon looks stunning running on the club layout, the full LNER lettering
looks amazing, the real wagon must have looked very impressive, and a great advert for the company.

On the second version I will trim back the side plate moulding, the model version is to long, I only found this out
when I applied the transfers, and could only fit "Trestrol-C" and not the tare weights transfers, which is a bit of a bugger.
Attachments
IMG_6991.JPG
IMG_6992.JPG
IMG_6993.JPG
IMG_6994.JPG
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Lovely Trestrol.
I’m sure any minor disappointment with overly long plates in the way of transfers will fade, given a year or two.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Dave,

Can you bring the Trestrol along to Expo-North on the Sunday, I am bringing the camera to photograph Graeme's Dining Car?

It has come on a long way since I saw it at Little Bytham.

John
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Thank you Atlantic.
Ok John I will bring my oo gauge toy wagon to an em gauge scale event..... :D