The workbench of a Ribena drunkard!

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Sylvian Tennant
NER J27 0-6-0

The workbench of a Ribena drunkard!

Post by Sylvian Tennant »

Well here I am again, back to railway modelling. I have just joined (or at least joined a few weeks ago) this forum and those who are already familiar with RMWeb will know me. However those who don't, hello, my name is Sylvian and I do many things act, write, tell relatively unamusing jokes and recite poetry at least once in a blue moon. I also model and model railways I do. I'm apart of a club which is modelling an North Eastern region BR layout which we hope shall be available for exhibitions in 2014, provided the world hasn't suddenly consumed itself with self loathing and forcibly removed itself from existence.
I am hopefully providing some of my own stock for the running sessions so I have been doing alot of work for it, I also will be working on a 009 layout based on [insert inspiration here] but will again be set around a north east (North Yorkshiry/Durhamy) setting. On top of that, some of the larger stuff has taken my fancy however I shall gloss over that.

Here are some of my projects.
9f34.jpg
This is an Eastern Region 9F, made from a railroad 9F with a Golden Arrow tender with extra added bits and pieces.

next up is my beloved Mucky Duck based on one which by pure chance may have been shed in Stockton (51E)
4.jpg
A modified Bachy 4mt. Both locomotives have real coal (kindly offered by City of Truro) and the front coupling hook replaced by a brass bar.

I shall try and added some more picture of them soon but I'm unfortunatly short of time.

I have also been working on some brake vans too.
8.jpg
15.jpg
I shall add some wagon pictures as soon as I can.

I shall bid you a good day gentlemen and ladies.
Mercator II
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Re: The workbench of a Ribena drunkard!

Post by Mercator II »

good to have on board , looking forward to following your developments

good looking locos you have there

think you know me brother too, Andii?
oOo

Brian

Garage Hobbit!!
Modelling in 00 on my heritage line, very GCR inspired
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Welcome aboard! That BR1F tender looks good. The Golden Arrow Crosti is looking more tempting all the time...
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
Sylvian Tennant
NER J27 0-6-0

Andii, yes, the rocker chap?

A good friend and dear associate. How is he these days?
It's good to meet a relative of a good friend.

I would really give it a go Blink Bonney. At the moment I'm quite stocked with 00 gauge so I won't be adding further but, I must admit that their Stanier Mogul is looking the part. I beleive, Andii, whom I have just mention has made one and a delightful little begger it is too.

Here are some more of my projects

I will start with my bolster train.

General a mixture of Bachy products and parkside kits and generally assorted into two, with two being general off the shelf bachmann, two being modified to look more like the generic type, two parkside 21t and two parkside ner "quads".
9.jpg
10.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg
Next up is the coal train...
Sylvian Tennant
NER J27 0-6-0

.... as with before a mixture of bachy, parkside and at least one dapol wagon!

I think I have added one to many wagons as the maximum train length for out layout 16 wagons and I have built about 19! slight discrepency there!

I had two vaccuum fitted bachy wagons already and bought these three unboxed from one of those digital train sets ('MCO's I do believe) repainted and getting appropiate detailing and finaly some weathering and coal (as with all of my wagons) vac pipes were some generously given grade A guitar string (I believe, I'm not a musician!)
2.jpg
Next are a set of parkside wagons, all painted with different shades of grey
6.jpg
follwing that are a set of tatty old ex-PO wagons from a mixture of assortment. One being over ten years of age. With letting rubbed away and individual planks given a once over of grey/brown mix. One wagons being left unpainted too (oddly enough the most painted wagon of the lot!)
3.jpg
And finally for this post some Bachy standard unfitteds. A simple weathering alone sufficed.
4.jpg
There a couple of other wagons I had worked on for this train but they shall apear possibly later.

finally the oil train...
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

Some excellent weathering there, and very realistic. It is the weathering and addition of rust patches onto mineral wagons that drives me to distraction.

Your photos have inspired me to keep going, despite going cross-eyed.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Good on yer - another "different shade" modeller, a good base for weathering.

Keep 'em coming please! :D
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Hi Sylvian.
Some lovely work there, keep us posted.
You have my sympathy Ribena is hard stuff, I've seen the light since I gave it up and discovered meths.
mr B
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by mr B »

[quote="Sylvian Tennant"]Well here I am again, back to railway modelling. I have just joined (or at least joined a few weeks ago) this forum and those who are already familiar with RMWeb will know me. However those who don't, hello, my
9f34.jpg
watch it guys another defector :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

mr B
Sylvian Tennant
NER J27 0-6-0

Oh dear! Am I being approached to be to apart of an syndicate?

I sort of have no real quarrel with the place. Though, this will be my first place of refuge when it does happen!

Dave, it's a vice I wish I could break, I'm too used to Meths now! though the high you have weh nremoving frnech polish from a layout is second to none.

Why thank you for all of these kind and well meaning comments. I would be genuinely lying if I didn't say I wouldn't welcome them. However, whilst I still have interent I shall post my final "completed" project so far, (more on the way!). When I say completed, I mean, almost completed. They would have been completed had I not had Dapol deep flanged wheels (grrrr).

These are you common or garden dapol oil tankers with copious ammounts of detail added and then remove and which I wish I hadn't removed...b****r.

I was tempted to restart over again (this would have been the thirs time with these nice and...simple...wagons) but I think they're salvagable.
p49.jpg
As you may be able to tell, I used the original decal, a horror beyond all horrors... which, when not being dull and tedieous, beat me into the submission of fun!

Hmm, I think people are way too kind in regards to these models.

Anway you can't have an oil train without barrier wagons (well you can as some odeius little berk with a nasal voice would argue, depending on the flash point... pfft!)

So out came some parkside 13t opens (I wanted shock wagons originally but sourcing those decals once was a trek and a half!)
blogentry-8963-0-73758600-1310047683_thumb.jpg
these were the first finished real modelling projects of mine when I came back into the hobby.

Finally (and unfortunatly when the best picture I have of it!) a dapol brake van. With underframe work and alsort of verious add-ons and take offs!
blogentry-8963-0-58656800-1310047691_thumb.jpg
Right, I'm off now kids, to be a poncy actor... huzzah!
Attachments
Picture 045.jpg
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

Hi Sylvian

Is that SMP track you're using? It makes a welcome change to see it if it is. So often you see layouts where people have spent maybe thousands of hours on scenery and detailed rolling stock only for the layout to be spoilt by Peco track or the likes.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

As many will already know, I quite agree.

Down with HO scale, overseas sleepered, heavy girder-railed toy train track!

Up with "typical" British-look, chaired, fine bullhead rail, on proportionately sized and spaced timber sleepers!

But let's not destroy the economic case for this by stating / demanding that 20 different versions MUST be made to suit every subtle variation in the practices of the separate railways companies over a hundred years.......

I like the rolling stock too by the way. Nicely done.
Last edited by Atlantic 3279 on Fri May 04, 2012 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
IAK
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by IAK »

Verily thou makest some tasty stock sir...
Most heartingly the ex- PO ones.
ermmmmmmmmm :lol:
Small additional increments are transformative.

http://padgateworks.wordpress.com/
Sylvian Tennant
NER J27 0-6-0

Why thank you very much chap.

Yes, I have concur that SMP track does have a certain appeal over peco OO/HO track. Maybe if we beg hard enough they may pander to our whim!

Out of curiosity (and admitting that I am not a track person much myself) what code is SMP?
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

SMP rail should be code 63. Scale FB rail code 75.

Amazing. When I first entered the hobby, code 100 was "finescale." Mind you, we all used 12v DC then as well. I still do....