The workbench of a Ribena drunkard!

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: The workbench of a Ribena drunkard!

Post by Blink Bonny »

Those Sulphate Wagons look good.

And yes, they give me an idea.....
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
Sylvian Tennant
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Sylvian Tennant »

Thanks man :)

Next up, I'm hoping to build a freelance steam crane using the dapol model as a basis.

It shall be most fun...
Sylvian Tennant
NER J27 0-6-0

Hello chaps

Some work had been done recently, namely an engine shed for our club layout, Hartburn junction.
shed 1.jpg
shed 2.jpg
shed 3.jpg
For a more indepth look, with less articulation please go on http://www.stocktonmrc.co.uk/ and my own blog http://sylviantennant.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... adies.html

Must be off now :)
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

That looks rather nice from where I'm sitting. I shall have to keep an eye open for the layout.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Sylvian - that's excellent!
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
Sylvian Tennant
NER J27 0-6-0

Awh cheers chaps. :)

It was my first major build to paint and weather. Quite happy with the results (though I think some improvements and tweaks may be called for).

The layout should be at Middlesbrough MRE and Blyth MRE this years with any luck :)

for more info do visit http://www.stocktonmrc.co.uk/
Sylvian Tennant
NER J27 0-6-0

So in preparation for the exhibition layout I have been divulging to you fine fellows here, I have been building up by roster of trains.

One such locomotive I intend to build is B1 61030 "Nyala".
10.JPG
11.JPG
12.JPG
9.JPG
This is an old split chassis B1 will some changes such as a rebuilt front bogie, coal space added and a scratchbuilt smokebox dart and front steps.

for a more detail look at what I did please head over to my blog.

http://sylviantennant.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... vents.html

Please be aware, some adult language is used as it is a personal blog.
Sylvian Tennant
NER J27 0-6-0

I have been very busy, hence why I've been very quiet. Incredibly quiet... I have been looking on here. Honest!

Sorry.

Was that good enough. It better be, that's the best you're getting from me!

So... that B1 I was building. It's finished!

Here, look :)

b1 1.JPG
b1 2.JPG
b1 4.JPG
I wanted to give it a less dirty look that I have previously done, I think it's worked. I also managed to give the crew a tea break :)... next up my breakdown train.
Sylvian Tennant
NER J27 0-6-0

...part 2! the breakdown train.
IMG_1668.JPG
This is a mongrel of a train comprising of 50 years of Hornby Railways! The crane itself was a battered old Hornby Doublo crane haggled down to a tenner :) I've added representation lifting gears and also an interior which I had forgotten to take a photo of . The balance trucks are off a modern Hornby crane. The runner wagons is a scratch-built body on the chassis of a formerly bright blue LWB wagon chassis (which are now available in the Railroad range). The support wagons are a Hornby 12t vent van and a Hornby Palethorpes Sausage van with a rigid frame false flangless wheel for the center axle. The rear coaches are an old Hornby Clerestory brake, now a staff riding van and a Hornby Railroad Gresley Composite with heavily modified underframe and body to represent a tool and packing van. The only thing not of Hornby design was the J39 hauling it :)
IMG_1670.JPG
IMG_1672.JPG
and here's how it looks after the first stages of modification...alot of work was at hand.
IMG_0010.JPG
I am at Blyth operating Hartburn Junction. Please don't hesitate to say hello if you're about.
Sniffer
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by Sniffer »

Inspiration ST !

Liked the look of the breakdown train, so I'm putting together one of my own.

Picked up a nice Lima 36 tonne crane, bit plasticky but definitely has potential.
Needs a colour scheme change, anyone know (daft question :D ) what is a suitable colour combination for an LNER crane ?

BTW Already aware that there weren't too many 36 tonners in the LNER system, but I'm going to use a large slice of modellers licence and have one allocated to Starbeck.
Re-open the Leeds Northern northwards !
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Love the work on the Bachmann B1. I have been doing some modifying of my own, using the new chassis apple green B1s as a basis and using older bodies on top to get the numbers and combinations of details I want.

The one thing which really bugs me about the Bachmann one (aside from the some box door and chimney, the two things which need to be changed ASAP on all of mine) are the buffers and I have found Hornby sprung ones from eBay have done a pretty good job of improving the look of the front end.

Your modifications though go much further and cement the overall look of a B1 much more. Nicely done - and I have to be frank, when I initially glanced at the picture I thought you were modifying a Hornby B1…!
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

Always an interesting thread ST, and a unique style which I am sure I am not alone in finding most enjoyable, and indeed amusing at times! :)
Sniffer
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by Sniffer »

Sniffer wrote:Inspiration ST !

Liked the look of the breakdown train, so I'm putting together one of my own.

Picked up a nice Lima 36 tonne crane, bit plasticky but definitely has potential.
Needs a colour scheme change, anyone know (daft question :D ) what is a suitable colour combination for an LNER crane ?

BTW Already aware that there weren't too many 36 tonners in the LNER system, but I'm going to use a large slice of modellers licence and have one allocated to Starbeck.
Arrived today, and it ain't too bad at all. (I quite like it.)
Has the right kind of look, and as I said it's definitely got potential.

This will be my first attempt at RTR bashing (could never do it with an expensively bought loco ! :shock: )
So my original question stands, what colour combinations would one of these have ?
Re-open the Leeds Northern northwards !
ten ten
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by ten ten »

Crane looks good, any possibility of your work on gears , pulleys and ropes, thanks in advance? Got my mitts on an ex HD crane for a very low sum ,no runner wagon- thats no loss, the HD one was awful, so will be using a Cambrian kit Loriot, similar to that used with the Moors crane. Must take some detail photos of it when I'm up for their gala.
Sylvian Tennant
NER J27 0-6-0

Hello! Again apologies.

I have been mentally busy with alot of things, namely preparing for university (as a mature student I might add!) and trying to get my writing sorted out with a girlfriend on one arm and sheets on paper in the one.

Sniffer: Why thank you, I'm actually very pleased with the outcome of the crane 6 years ago it was just a dream I never thought I could accomplish but here it is. LNER Crane tended to be black I think, blue support coaches. I know the Gresley beat has a cracking one and that's black with blue mess and tool vans and stuff. Good luck with your and don't hesitate to let us know when it's done. Cranes were all different shapes and sizes and appearances, that's what I found when doing my research. Most of my stock is second hand too, I tend to get it from a chap I know only as Tri-ang man who does alot of show sin the North East.

SAC Martin: Cheers buds, Oddly enough I to had to swap a few parts on my B1 but it was due to operational issues and difference in detail I think the chassis block is the only original component. However, she's a good runner and really all I could ask for in a Bachmann B1. In reality, thinking back I probably should have went a bit further in my mods (new chimney along with my J39, and I should have looked at spring buffers - like yours). Bachmann model do really mock up quite well and the Hornby one is lovely but I'd be hard pressed to take it out of the box let alone cut it up.

EarlMarischal: You are a charmer :P

Ten Ten: Thanks man, yeah I wasn't a big fan of any of the other bits included with the HD crane so I ended up using a few spare bits and piece hanging around from a Hornby crane I had. In fact the jib runner chassis belongs to a bright blue LWB wagon now found in the railroad range! The lift gear was all servo gears and bits, I bought a couple of packs and tried my best to match them up as much as possible.If you have a friend who is into watch making it might be handy to see if he has any fine gears spare. I'll try and drum up something in the next day or two about what I did. Just be warned though, there is alot of cutting out of bits on the crane. Some of the gears as well were sliced off larger/smaller gears (the types to change the rate of turn).
crane.jpg
The drums and axles were just some 1/4 tube a 2mm rod respectively. The brass was something I picked up from Eileens at an exhibition and took a little while to solder together. The pulleys themselves are actually button clips that I picked up on a lunch break from Boyes.
It's not 100% still, I have a few bits to add, such as the hook and a few bits for the workmen in the jib runner.

Recently I have been working on another beloved mucky duck :)
5.jpg
1.jpg
3.jpg
The weathering is the shame as the B1 in most respects save for the rust and ash on the smoke box.That was done with some artists pencils, then dabbed at with a damp cotton bud.

Alothugh I ahve pretty much mentioned most of my updates here. I have also added them to my blog here :) http://sylviantennant.blogspot.co.uk/

You shall hear from me soon, fellow modellers.