My Workbench - Potters Bar and South Mimms

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Phil Brighton
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Re: My Workbench - Potters Bar and South Mimms

Post by Phil Brighton »

As was clearly predicted I am having a bad time with the Silver Jubilee set. I decided prior to masking off the windows to give them a coat of Klear - this appeared to make them a bit more transparent and I thought give them a another layer of protection.

Now having sprayed the coaches and removed the masking I have come to sort out the window edges which need to be nice and straight. I had planned to do this using a bowpen as I had previously on the tourist stock. Unfortunately the Humbrol 196 paint is stupidly thin and wont flow from the pen nicely. When I use a cocktail stick in thinners to clean up overrun the Klear on the window reacts with it and clouds up the window. - I have rescued the windows with a lot of rubbing/scraping with a cocktail stick which I think it taking off the Klear and therefore the cloudyness but I am stuck as to how to do the window frames now. Thicken the paint? Humbrol acrylic of the same colour? Windex style cleaner to remove the Klear completely? Oh dear....
Jk60113
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by Jk60113 »

Hi Phil
I had a similar problem with thin humbrol paint best thing I found was to leave the paint to evaporate for a day with the lid off checking every hour our so by giving it a good stur.
Thanks james
Phil Brighton
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Phil Brighton »

Thanks - will give that a try
Phil Brighton
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Phil Brighton »

Progress is being made - the brake first/semi open first is furthest along but the others are not far behind.
In the end have been carefully scraping paint away from the windows to get better edges rather than use the bowpen - just couldn't get the humbrol paint to a good consistency.
Img_0735.jpg
teaky
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by teaky »

Those are looking really good Phil.
nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by nzpaul »

Knowing roughly what you're going through,saying nice job doesn't really cut it, but nice job anyway, really Nice job.

Cheers
Paul
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

My etched set with silver/aluminium colour roofs

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1624&start=60
Phil Brighton
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Phil Brighton »

Thanks very much guys - pretty pleased with them so far.

Mick, I have certainly seen your lovely brass models when looking through your thread. What made you go for a silver roof? In photos of the train it looks white to me but I suspect shiny silver is not a colour that is easy to identify in black and white pictures.
Phil Brighton
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Phil Brighton »

Preview: Re: My Workbench - Potters Bar and South Mimms
Silver Jubilee is almost done - will take better pictures when I have done the transfers and final bits and pieces.
2015-05-24 21.02.24.jpg
I have as ever without finishing what really needs doing (ballasting) started a new project making a DJH C1 Atlantic

Is coming along fair rapidly and goes together very nicely. Certainly compared to the last 2 locos I made with were second hand models dismantled and rebuilt.
2015-05-10 20.05.50.jpg
2015-05-24 20.53.36.jpg
2015-05-24 20.54.46.jpg
Phil Brighton
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Phil Brighton »

The C1 is nearly ready for painting. Few last details and cleaning up to do. Runs pretty well but not as quiet even with the multi stage gear box (particularly backwards) as I would like.
c1djh.jpg
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

That's some fast work on the C1, Phil! You're last few posts have been hitting several models I'd like to do in N gauge - my own 'standard' Atlantic has so far defeated me due to the problem of the cylinders passing through the running plate in 2mm scale which maintaining some level of structural strength on the front end of the body.

I like your layout choice of Potters Bar. Lots of variety passing through in LNER days!
Steve
Phil Brighton
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Phil Brighton »

Steve
You are right about the variety of locos through Potters Bar. Many are now turning up ready to run which takes some of the fun out of it - you n gaugers might think thats a nice problem to have! Your current project with the P1 is very interesting thats one we dont have an easy anwser to in 4mm.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Yes, all those 4mm locos currently being announced or in various stages of development must be terrible for you! :lol:

The P1 isn't proving to be an easy answer in N gauge either. The chosen Dapol chassis is completely devoid of any place to mount ponies, cylinders or valve gear hangers. The original 28xx (as with all recent Dapol releases) mounts these directly to the running plate which makes disassembly difficult too (for locos with outside valve gear anyway)! I've been lucky that the donor chassis for the P1 came my way as a one off spare from a friend so I didn't have to do any disassembly this time. I'm doing some head scratching regarding how I'm going to do this but I'm currently leaning towards making a separate piece that can be bonded to the chassis to mount the various gubbings from. Failing that and I'll be having to design an etched chassis for the loco - something that I wish to avoid if possible at the moment.

Anyway, back to your thread and gauge, what else have you in store for us?
Steve
Phil Brighton
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Phil Brighton »

Hi all,

Just to show I have not been completely idle...

Nothing in the pictures is finished. Lots do do on the locos, stock and scenery but it's coming along.
I have tried to get to a point with the layout where the big messy parts are done but I have not quite got there yet.
Img_1842.jpg
DJH C1 heads north
Img_1854.jpg
Coal drops still need a lot of work
Img_1853.jpg
J6 on a local train heads south moving to the two track section from the slow line
Last edited by Phil Brighton on Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phil Brighton
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Phil Brighton »

A few more pictures while I am at it
Img_1855.jpg
K3 on a coal train. It really should be heading the other way fully loaded into London
Img_1848.jpg
Silver Jubilee from above
Img_1858.jpg
Still haven even got the basics of scenery on the 'north' end