My Workbench - Potters Bar and South Mimms

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Re: My Workbench - Potters Bar and South Mimms

Post by Horsetan »

manna wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:19 pm.... with cast footplates, shouldn't be to much of a problem.
Risks being thick and heavy, especially on the ornate section obscuring the driving wheels. Also, if the reliance is on mazak, I'd say a model might be living on borrowed time.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Quite possibly so.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

£300 or thereabouts Locos going west :shock: :shock: . The current fad for rtr diecast metal as said maybe very shortsighted in due course.

Re the D16 Hornby could have simply used a Etched Valance.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

mick b wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:22 am..... Re the D16 Hornby could have simply used a Etched Valance.
It wouldn't be available from Hornby as a spare when it gets damaged....
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Some enterprising individual could have replacements etched, and sell them, but they'd probably be for the "modeller" to paint and line, thus ruling out over 90% of buyers of the loco - but then again, many of the buyers would only have bought it simply in order to know that they'd got one, and maybe to very occasionally look at it in the unopened box, or on a display shelf in a cabinet, where breakage of the pierced valance would be highly unlikely.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Phil Brighton
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Phil Brighton »

Pleased to have made it into Railway Modeller this month.
WhatsApp Image 2023-10-12 at 21.53.23.jpeg
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

Excellent - well done
Andrew
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

That might be the best cover ever on RM. Good job; there's a possibility of me buying a copy, which would make it five mags purchased this millenium...
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Well done indeed.

Interesting also to know that others share my now minimal magazine buying habit. I'm not impressed by the usual contents of most. My visits to preserved railways that I once rated very highly have greatly diminished too, now that there seem to be hardly any of the disappointingly few preserved LNER locos in steam and in LNER livery.

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

They have followed BRM and put the issue in a sealed bag. :shock: :x
Phil Brighton
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Phil Brighton »

Hatfield Shed wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:28 am That might be the best cover ever on RM. Good job; there's a possibility of me buying a copy, which would make it five mags purchased this millenium...

I think there may be some company bias on show there!
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I'll gladly increase your suspicions of bias, at the cost of a small further digression, by mentioning that save for a couple of small local shows that I'll support unconditionally by means of a visit very briefly at minimal cost, and one surviving excellent Northern finescale show which always serves up the right sort of layout, I increasingly ignore exhibitions that were once "essential" either because they don't feature any LNER layouts set in the LNER period, or don't feature ANY 1923-47 period layout, or are run by organisers who fail to list the period/area details of unfamiliar layouts, or because the shows no longer have decent comprehensive model-builders trade support.

nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by nzpaul »

November RM will arrive in NZ closer to December, I'll have to remember to keep an eye out for a copy. First time I've looked forward to buying a mag in years, well done Phil.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

A copy which I will happily buy, when it gets to Oz.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Jim de Griz
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Jim de Griz »

Phil Brighton wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:00 pm Pleased to have made it into Railway Modeller this month.
Congratulations, I picked up a copy and greatly enjoyed the article.

I was particularly interested to see your Cambridge Set in print as I’ve been working on similar conversions. I was wondering if you had replaced the ventilators on the roofs as they seem more prominent that the Hornby ones?

Jim de Griz