My Workbench - Potters Bar and South Mimms

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Phil Brighton
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Re: My Workbench - Potters Bar and South Mimms

Post by Phil Brighton »

That's really helpful. Thank you.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

And the additional advantage, as you've spotted, is that you can stuff the boiler with lead, exactly where the weight needs to be, directly over the coupled wheels, giving balanced adhesion on the four axles.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Phil Brighton
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Phil Brighton »

Chassis is working with about 4-5mm of resin removed from the top of the boiler. Lead sheet gives some weight with a little slot for the decoder to poke into. The kit goes together very well and makes a change from the filling and filing of old whitemetal kits. Instructions aren't that clear though!
244cf12b-c020-47e9-97eb-e13ba58c079f.jpg
b977579b-3f61-42f4-99fc-44d9157399a4.jpg
d2c79ed7-3e2c-46ab-95d1-552b4cf87288.jpg
Phil Brighton
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Phil Brighton »

P1 chassis has been painted and is drying so here are a few other things I have been finishing up.
Nu-cast J3, a D&S LNER horsebox and the old Hornby Gresley conversion I started first and finished last. The coach is a 56'6" full brake which needed to the Hornby coach to be shortened and narrowed.

I have't been able to find anything yet to tell me where to put transfers on the horsebox so if there is any help with that it would be very useful.
P1011559.jpg
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

In the same way that I would like to know if anybody has a big list of former GNR ballast brake van numbers and allocations applicable to the 1930s. Pigs might fly...

Nice models though.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

There is a photo in the original Tatlow showing number 42E as an LNER ballast brake, so I would suggest that if you numbered your
one for grantham, the number might well be between 40 and 50 E.
What we all know is that once you have painted, varnished and posted the finished vehicle, either no one will notice, or
some one will come along to prove you wrong.
The Leeds one was 20E, whilst I have another photo of 45E.

I would be pretty sure therefore that we have a number series from at least 20-50E. Remember they were "registered" to specific
areas, ie Leeds, Grantham etc.
HTH
Paul
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Thanks Paul, I've replied more fully in my own thread so as not to send this one off at a tangent.

Phil Brighton
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Phil Brighton »

P1 progress. My first go at Walschaerts and it works. There was *some* swearing involved but not as much as I feared.
p1 again.jpg
nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by nzpaul »

Nice work Phil, about time to give it a run and put a clip on YouTube so we can see it going. Graeme and my videos are getting a bit old, not that I'm comparing mine to his. Your P1 looks like it will measure up somewhat better.

Paul
Last edited by nzpaul on Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Phil Brighton
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Phil Brighton »

I may have over played my hand somewhat. When I say run I mean it all goes smoothly when power is applied directly to the motor. No pickups yet and the there is the extra bit of chipping. Due to the ultra sensitivity of the DCC chip to any shorting or loss of power at all, even for a split second will mean inevitably one of the brake shoes will cause problems and more swearing.

Also on Graeme's having seen the you tube clip the radius bar moves. I wasn't so brave!
nzpaul

Post by nzpaul »

No pressure Phil, but seeing it running when it's ready would be nice, it's a little too far away for me to see in person so YouTube is the best I can hope for.
Graeme's one also has the valve spindles pass through the cylinders and the front valve crosshead move......not something I would attempt either.

Paul
Mersey508138
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by Mersey508138 »

Hi Phil

I like the work you have done on your P1 loco.

I have been trying for years to build 1 of these locos but the only chassis I have ever been able to use are Hornby 8F chassis either loco driven or first a tender driven loco which are clearly incorrect for a P1.

Can I ask please what kits you are using for your loco and 2nd if I was go ask if you would build it for me as I have not had any previous experience building a 4mm oo gauge loco ki, how much would I be looking at as I would most likely have to do a lot of saving 1st.

Great work and I look forward to seeing her when she's finished.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Well done regarding your baptism of fire with the Walschaerts Phil. It isn't compulsory to have it in gear, with the radius rod and valve spindle moving too. Most people don't seem to bother, and I've not yet noticed it on anything RTR. I was just being "thorough" when I built mine - to the extent of even making the tails of the valve spindles move in front of the cylinders, with the outer ends of mock conjugation levers attached.

Phil Brighton
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Phil Brighton »

Ok so I think its time for the paintshop. A bit of trouble getting the thing to balance as the whitemetal booster hanging right out the rear pulled the centre of gravity back and meant the front wheels didn't have enough weight over them. This caused them to rise up and over the frogs on some points. I have stuffed as much lead between the frames as possible as far forward as I can and sprung the rear truck wheel. This seems to have sorted it though I can't say I am convinced the spring does much.

At least its a simple paint job.
P1011563.jpg
nzpaul

Post by nzpaul »

Can't accuse you of mucking about Phil. That's just over a month from kit to complete :shock: . You must have enjoyed building that one.

Paul