My Workbench - Potters Bar and South Mimms

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Dave S
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Re: My Workbench - Potters Bar and South Mimms

Post by Dave S »

They look good Phil, I recently picked up a PLA printer which is proving very useful.

I also use Tinkercad as Fusion won't now work on the Mac and was wondering how you did parts such as the bent brake lever? I find it a really easy program but find I have to draw somewhat 'freehand' for some items, I haven't figured out bending/shaping some parts with it. For the odd item I've found if I prep an outline SVG file from a drawing in Inkscape and import it into Tinkercad it creates the shape which can be built on.

DS
Phil Brighton
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Phil Brighton »

I have tried out the SVG importing - I used it to help get a fit on the flat roof GNR milk van to match what I had already got for the ends but didn't use it for the wagon brake levers. They are just made up of a number of shapes squished squashed and cut up with hollow blocks. Sorry that's not more useful I did the one on the open wagon a while back and have just copied it since.

I find Tinkercad great but am hitting its limits. More complex shapes like a GNR tender are proving far more difficult and may not be possible at all.
Dave S
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Dave S »

Phil Brighton wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:44 pm They are just made up of a number of shapes squished squashed and cut up with hollow blocks.
Thank god it's not just me that does that ! :lol: That's essentially how I've been doing it as well.
Phil Brighton
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Phil Brighton »

Bit of a diversion. Have been continuing drawing up wagons and 3D printing them - will post up some pics soon. One of the wagons is a refrigerator van which needs ladders on the ends. I think 3d printing them would likely to break so I was going to solder them up from wire.
However I decided to try something different tried etching my own. I am in no way saying this was the best way to do this but I wanted to see if I could and then maybe make other parts in the future.

First up draw up the design. The crosses help line up paper. I then print onto paper that is the backing for sheets of stickers. I tried a bunch of paper glossy stuff from magazines etc but this worked best. Its double sided and is cut out, folded and taped to make a little pocket.
etch1.jpg
The brass is popped into the pocket and then sprayed from an old perfume bottle (or something like that) with nail polish remover. Pressing down on the paper should (if you are lucky took a few goes) transfer the image to the brass. You can see it worked ok with some issues in one corner but I pressed on hoping some would work.
etch 2.jpg
I have made the etch tank from clear styrene and bathroom sealant with a fish tank air bubbler and a fish tank heater (both cheapo ebay) inside. The brass is dangled on thread into the tank.
etch 3.jpg
Ferric chloride is poured in and off it goes.
etch 4.jpg
These are the ladders. Its my first try and they are usable if a little uneven. I think I will try making other parts when I need them. The ladders are quite delicate more substantial parts might work better. A bit of an experiment anyway. None of these techniques are mine I nick them from all sorts of places.
Phil Brighton
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Phil Brighton »

etch 5.jpg
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

That's a big WOW.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Phil Brighton
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Phil Brighton »

Ha! Thanks. Looking a bit closer now I have cleaned them up a bit I think the reason they have come out a bit messy is I have taken them out too soon so they haven't etched all the way through in some places.
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

Interesting that you should chose the LNER Refrigerator Van Phil. Is it the steel underframe diagram 21 or the timber underframe Dia 20?

I've just started to investigate getting a Dia 21 version 3-D printed by someone in Tasmania who has already been doing unusual GWR (sorry to mention this on here!) and some LMS hoppers. I actually scratch-built one of these back in 1979 - my only scratch-built wagon. Amazingly its still running!

Regards

Andrew
Phil Brighton
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Phil Brighton »

It's the steel underframe one I have drawn up. Will post a picture when home from work this eve. Happy to share the CAD if at all helpful though I can't make any grandiose claims of accuracy!
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Hello Phil, did you see / read the article on DIY etching in MRJ a few years back?

Given the ever increasing costs of commercial etching, and the insistence of etching firms on artwork in digital form, in specific file formats that I cannot create for myself, I'd be tempted to have a go if I could find the time and motivation to develop yet another skill that is only occasionallygoing to be of use to me.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I read a similar article in a French magazine a number of years ago. Kudos to you for trying it, though like Graeme I think it's a skill I'd seldom use and so have never attempted.
Phil Brighton
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Phil Brighton »

No I haven't seen those articles. This one was the most helpful for me http://www.nigellawton009.com/Etching_f ... sion_5.htm

The use of nail polish remover came from some YouTube videos about making PCBs.
Phil Brighton
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Phil Brighton »

Here is a print of the refrigerator van.
IMG-20221010-WA0023.jpg
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

Looks good Phil. I'll pm you.
Andrew
Jesse Sim
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Jesse Sim »

Some excellent work, are these 3D printed models available to be purchased?