My Workbench - Potters Bar and South Mimms

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

NZRedBaron
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Re: My Workbench - Potters Bar and South Mimms

Post by NZRedBaron »

So, I am actually curious now; how did the Gresley LNER coaches differ from the earlier GNR versions?
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

A BR Speedo on Brown Jack?

Nice work !!
Phil Brighton
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Phil Brighton »

No speedo during LNER days? I wish I knew that before that thing is a right pain!

Gresley GNR coaches differ from LNER period ones in a number of ways which vary form coach to coach. It's things like windows above the doors, varying lengths, sometimes (often later filled in) windows on the ends, buffers are not the clipped top type that sort of thing.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

That beer train looks excellent. I especially like the teak finish you've managed. You should be very pleased with that.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

NZRedBaron wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:05 am So, I am actually curious now; how did the Gresley LNER coaches differ from the earlier GNR versions?
Phil Brighton wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:51 am Gresley GNR coaches differ from LNER period ones in a number of ways which vary from coach to coach. It's things like windows above the doors, varying lengths, sometimes (often later filled in) windows on the ends, buffers are not the clipped top type that sort of thing.
In addition to which, a turnbuckle braced underframe will be standard, and early examples will be slightly narrower over the bodywork, and may well have Fox type bogies, (which remained standard into LNER days on their BGs). I believe a 57' underframe was typical for the final GNR gangwayed coaches.

A further complication is that Gresley's designs were also built from the start of his GNR career for the ECJS and GN and NER joint stock operations, externally stylistically very similar; and among these were some on a 61'6" underframe, precursors to what became LNER standard for their gangwayed stock.

It's complicated, in short.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Phil, I didn't spot this before but I'm almost certain that handrails in catering vehicles were chrome rather than brass.
Phil Brighton
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Phil Brighton »

Nu-Cast J3 underway.
Struggled a bit with the Hi-Level gearbox this time and couldn't get the first gear to fit under the worm so it engages off centre to enable it to fit. I must have done something silly somewhere. However it does run very smoothly albeit with quite a lot of noise.
j3.jpg
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Phil Brighton wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:37 pm Nu-Cast J3 underway.
Struggled a bit with the Hi-Level gearbox this time and couldn't get the first gear to fit under the worm so it engages off centre to enable it to fit. I must have done something silly somewhere. However it does run very smoothly albeit with quite a lot of noise.

j3.jpg

Gear correct way around ?
Phil Brighton
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Phil Brighton »

The two gears were identical as far as I could see - the whole thing meshed beautifully before the motor and worm was screwed on.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

What version , I dont remeber any of mine having dupicate gears .

Perhaps you were sent the wrong gears. I suggest contact High Level , Chris is very helpful.
Phil Brighton
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Phil Brighton »

I am even more confused now. I thought I had a roadrunner but that's a one stage box and mine is two stage... I suppose it doesn't make much sense to have a two stage box with identical gears!
Phil Brighton
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Phil Brighton »

Ok - time to start something I have been getting bits together for a little while. PDK P1. All looks good except how to get the motor in without it being visible in the gap between running plate and boiler. The combination of rear driving wheel being in front of the firebox and rear pony truck after it is making this look quite difficult.
P1011554small.jpg
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

The Mashima Can motor in my "various sources" P1, 1426 size perhaps though I can't remember for certain, is steeply inclined in the firebox with worm meshing with the back rather than the top of the gear on the rear coupled axle. It is all hidden. Doing it that way may mean that you can't have rear frame spacers and pony truck pivot where the kit intended them to be, but you can make your own compatible arrangements instead.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Phil Brighton
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Phil Brighton »

This was the state of play earlier today. All going together nicely so far. Thanks for the tips on the motor. I have made a nice mess taking resin material out of the top of the firebox to give me enough room to turn the gearbox on its back and have the motor sit vertically. The rear truck is not yet worked out but doesn't look too difficult. This is also useful as it means the limited hollow in the boiler can be filled with lead rather than the motor - I was worried about how to get enough weight. It wouldn't do to have a loco like this struggle with pulling power.
0564f1fc-772a-4d36-b908-aa80b8f74557.jpg
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

These show the sort of thing that I did:
STA73331 basic truck installation from above.jpg
STA73333 truck pivot from below..jpg
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.