My Workbench - Potters Bar and South Mimms

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: My Workbench - and who knows, one day maybe even a layou

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

I think that looks B***** marvelous :P

And a big Yes, to Hornby, who don't seem to know which horse to back, even when there ON the winner :roll:

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Phil Brighton
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Phil Brighton »

Thanks for the compliments, the rubbish camera in this case is sympathetic

I am sure Hornby would have the decency to wait until I have just finished the other 8 coaches before announcing a coronation of there own...

In all seriousness isnt the articulation something that would hold them back, people having to buy 2 coaches each time would make it perhaps more difficult to sell?

With the mailcoach kits I did the observation coach first because of the articulation, if I messed it up I only need to buy one replacement. I think I can make a better job of the next coaches (I picked up the set for a very reasonable price off the islinglass fella). Also the observation car as pointed out isnt really right at all so maybe one day find a better kit anyway.

The problem is of course the windows, so I thought that using revel colour stop (like maskol) would solve this. Unfortunately colour stop dries clear so its difficult to see where you have and havent covered so I thought better safe than sorry and plastered the stuff on.

But.. Then when it came to removing it it tool paint I did want came away I and also some colour stop got stuck in the very corners of the windows where it has many costs of paint on it, even an old electric toothbrush didnt clean it all up.

So what have I leant?

First don't paint the insides of the sides, they are clear so paint the inside colour as the first coat on the outside.
Second, mask the windows with colour stop and then mast the whole window over the top with tape as well,
Dont prime to show up tiny gaps in the construction that need filling. Even tiny tiny gaps will let a smatter of paint through which inevitably get on the windows inside!
Phil Brighton

Post by Phil Brighton »

Well this is probably as neat as I will get the observation coach.
Is it ok to simply spray satin vanish over a coach without masking the windows?
Will it fuzz them up?
Attachments
2012-06-24 12.43.12.jpg
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

Phil Brighton wrote:Thanks for the compliments, the rubbish camera in this case is sympathetic

I am sure Hornby would have the decency to wait until I have just finished the other 8 coaches before announcing a coronation of there own...

In all seriousness isnt the articulation something that would hold them back, people having to buy 2 coaches each time would make it perhaps more difficult to sell?

With the mailcoach kits I did the observation coach first because of the articulation, if I messed it up I only need to buy one replacement. I think I can make a better job of the next coaches (I picked up the set for a very reasonable price off the islinglass fella). Also the observation car as pointed out isnt really right at all so maybe one day find a better kit anyway.

The problem is of course the windows, so I thought that using revel colour stop (like maskol) would solve this. Unfortunately colour stop dries clear so its difficult to see where you have and havent covered so I thought better safe than sorry and plastered the stuff on.

But.. Then when it came to removing it it tool paint I did want came away I and also some colour stop got stuck in the very corners of the windows where it has many costs of paint on it, even an old electric toothbrush didnt clean it all up.

So what have I leant?

First don't paint the insides of the sides, they are clear so paint the inside colour as the first coat on the outside.
Second, mask the windows with colour stop and then mast the whole window over the top with tape as well,
Dont prime to show up tiny gaps in the construction that need filling. Even tiny tiny gaps will let a smatter of paint through which inevitably get on the windows inside!
All I can say after looking at the photos, is Wow!

Thanks for the advice on the Mailcoach sides, that is very useful to know.

One other question I have about the sides is how did you separate them initially from the sprue? I tried with a very sharp Stanley knife, but one false move and the plastic cracked. I should add that I have "cow udder" fingers, and can usually make a mess of the easiest modelling tasks.

(This cracking would not have been so bad on certain parts of the side which can be covered by paint, but in my case the crack went across one of the window areas).
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Do not spray windows they will go a matt/satin finish.
Phil Brighton

Post by Phil Brighton »

So far (yesterday I separated the kitchen 3rd/open3rd side from the sprue) cracking hasn't been a problem. Just ran the knife over many times gently and it separated quite cleanly, sorry not to be more help with that!

I am not sure I am going to follow my own advice with painting the interior colours on the outside, not sure how the colours will take without a good dose of primer.
Phil Brighton

Post by Phil Brighton »

Thanks Mick.
Sorry if this is a really basic question! So when you have finished a coach you mask the windows before varnishing? Or would you varnish before fitting the glazing (not an option with these mailcoach ones)?
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I had no problem in using enamel interior colour as the base-coat on the exterior of my Mailcoach Tourist Buffet. I degreased the transparent plastic first of course, and I think I went over just the areas to be painted fairly gently (but thoroughly) with glass-fibre scratch pencil to ensure a good key. Obviously the two contrasting coats of paint must be compatible, and the one dry before the other is applied over the top......
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Phil Brighton wrote:Thanks Mick.
Sorry if this is a really basic question! So when you have finished a coach you mask the windows before varnishing? Or would you varnish before fitting the glazing (not an option with these mailcoach ones)?

Before any varnish. These kits are a real pain in :shock: se . I did a Tourist rake and vowed never again.

On normal kits I would still varnish first and glaze last. If due to the kit design you have to fix the roof on first then mask the glazing.
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

Phil Brighton wrote:So far (yesterday I separated the kitchen 3rd/open3rd side from the sprue) cracking hasn't been a problem. Just ran the knife over many times gently and it separated quite cleanly, sorry not to be more help with that!

I am not sure I am going to follow my own advice with painting the interior colours on the outside, not sure how the colours will take without a good dose of primer.
Thanks. I think that I might have been a touch heavy handed with the knife, unless I was just unlucky and there was a deformity already present and I just made it worse.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

I recomend either a razor saw or a fretsaw . Both quicker and safer than a knife.
Phil Brighton

Post by Phil Brighton »

Looks like more fun masking for me...again!

On a separate issue can I ask about couplings...
As I am basically starting from no stock, the pictures show pretty much everything I have, it would be sensible to think about couplings now.

Having looked about I think my options are...

Stay with tension lock. + Cheap and easy -looks
Kadee +better looking than tension lock -expensive, still pretty out of place, particularly on wagons
3 Link +far better looking -expensive, hard to fit, fiddly

What do others use and why?
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

If you want to go down the 3 link road that's ok, but why not go down the real railway road, 3 link for the wagons and Kaydee for your coaching stock, your A4 is unlikely to be pulling wagons................... :wink:

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Phil Brighton

Post by Phil Brighton »

I had considered mixing 3 link and kadee, is that quite common to do? How would this work with mixed traffic engines, wagons with one of each type of coupling for the front of the train?
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Thats how Hornby-Dublo/Triang did it, a horsebox with two different couplings for passenger trains and an open wagon for goods.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.