My Workbench - Potters Bar and South Mimms

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Re: My Workbench - Potters Bar and South Mimms

Post by Woodcock29 »

I'm looking forward to getting a copy. I have a subscription through a shop here in Adelaide. Once read I give the copy to a mate who keeps it and I keep his BRM. I'll be getting an extra copy of RM this time - it might be in a week or so?
Andrew
Phil Brighton
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Phil Brighton »

Hi Jim,

Yes I scraped off the ventilators and replaced them with MJT ones. Gives a far better look than the moulded ones which are quite recessed into the roof. I think I put up some more pics earlier in this thread.
Jim de Griz
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Jim de Griz »

Thanks Phil, I looked back in the thread and found the pictures, definitely a modification I’m going to have to attempt.

Conveniently, I have some close couplings on order that I’m looking to experiment with. I’ll modify the roofs as I’m changing over the couplings.

Jim de Griz
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Neat article, both well written and photographed, which describes what has been modelled to great advantage. And a little more bias: you must when time permits get around to an NLR 4-4-0T with four wheel suburban set on the Broad Street-Potters Bar service, if only to demonstrate the relative backwardness of the LMS before Stanier pitched up...
Phil Brighton

Post by Phil Brighton »

Hatfield Shed wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:10 pm Neat arti
Thanks.
I have a Jinty and a bunch of the old dapol/airfix suburban lms coaches - with the idea of cutting and shutting the coaches to the correct diagram but not got round to it yet. I think the NLR tanks were replaced by Jintys (Jinties?) in the 20s so a bit of an unfair comparison with V2s and A4s! The 4 wheel stock with the birdcage brake lasted longer I think and I do like the look of them. A brass kit is available but with all these things it's a bit of an investment or I could try drawing and 3D printing a set. One to ponder over!
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

If you can get a look at Dennis Lovett 's 'The North London Railway' there's a feast of detail; he has the 4-4-0T's operating as late as 1930.
Phil Brighton

Post by Phil Brighton »

Will keep a look out for that. Does it mention when the 4 wheel coaches run until? Would need to find drawing of them of trying to make my own and not sure where I might find that.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

No clear date for the withdrawal of the four wheelers, other than they survived in traffic into the early thirties. Couple of good side elevation works photos of the four wheel stock newly constructed, captioned as from the Railway Museum collection. So there may be much more available from that source.

The whole book is a treasure trove, well written and illustrated with some great atmos photos of London 'down at heel' post WWII in particular. The item I want as a result is a Park 0-6-0T, as these must have turned up in the KX area yards occasionally. I have a terrible drawing in 'Locomotives Worth Modelling' which will enable something with the character to be cooked up, should we never get a hint of a RTR model.
Phil Brighton

Post by Phil Brighton »

Totally unrelated to LNER matters but we just got back from visiting a friend who moved to near Frankfurt to marry a German girl.
He mentioned his neighbour was into trains (my friend is an weirdo who for some reason isn't into trains) and that I should pop round and have chat with him. What a treat! His layout was good and the buildings very nice indeed but the loco's and rolling stock was exquisite. All pre 1870 in HO and all totally scratch built - even down to the wheels that he makes himself. They ran beautifully and were frankly real little works of art.
Attachments
IMG-20231224-WA0008.jpg
IMG-20231224-WA0007.jpg
IMG-20231224-WA0006.jpg
IMG-20231224-WA0005.jpg
Phil Brighton

Post by Phil Brighton »

Couple more
Attachments
IMG-20231224-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20231224-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20231221-WA0095.jpg
Jim de Griz
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Jim de Griz »

Wow! Now that is something different and something very cool!

Jim
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Thanks for posting, it's lovely!

Not totally unrelated to the LNER's origins either. The Stephenson's and their followers played a huge part in getting railways established in Western Europe. What looks much like a little Sharpie wouldn't be out of place on a 'GNR beginnings' layout.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Excellent! Actual model making, and not the period that has been modelled to death in Britain either.

His next challenge must be to build some proper, finescale, period permanent way
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Phil Brighton

Post by Phil Brighton »

Yeah I chatting to him about the track but he prefers to spend him time making locos!
Phil Brighton

Post by Phil Brighton »

Ballast train - 3D prints from files I drew up.
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2024-01-04 at 21.12.17_ae282d63.jpg