LNER 36t Steam crane

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

TimMeese
LNER N2 0-6-2T

LNER 36t Steam crane

Post by TimMeese »

Hi Guys - I wonder if anyone can throw any light on this. I've just bought an OO Lima LNER 36t steam crane off e-bay. Its in good condition, but needs plenty of detailing work to make it presentable. Anyway, I'd appreciate anything that anybody can tell me about this thing, but particularly the livery. In brief, the Lima livery is a sort of crimson lake match truck and crane body with grey crane underframe and jib. The crane body includes a small patch of wasp stripes. I would be surprised if any of this is correct. I'm guessing that it might be mainly black from photos of restored stock, but maybe that's early BR livery. Or mainly grey, which sounds appropriate for the days before 'health and safety'. Possibly white hooks though. But I'm also wondering whether these things might have been in LNER engineers blue (either the 'Oxford' or 'Cambridge' variety). That seems appropriate, but I can find no evidence of it on the web or in my texts.

Thanks for any help
Tim
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

All black with red lining sounds right.

Tatlow ("LNER Wagons") says, quote "Black on breakdown cranes with 1/4 inch red lining". Bodywork includes solebars and headstocks if timber. Steel underframes always black.

The LNER only had two 36t cranes, but had quite a few 35t ones.
The first 36t was a Cowans-Sheldon type built in 1936 and initially allocated to Colwick, and still extant at Toton in 1975. It had a 6t auxiliary hoist. Described as having a wheel arrangement of "4-8-4RB" (RB = detachable relieving bogies were fitted)

The second 36t was also a Cowans type but with a 4-4-4 wheel arrangement. Built in 1914 and allocated to St Margaret's throughout LNER ownership. Was extant at Dundee in 1975. 1t auxiliary hoist.

The 35t cranes were a mixture of Cowans, Craven, and Rapier types.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
TimMeese
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by TimMeese »

Hi Richard - thanks, very helpful.
Tim