Leeds Central Model - Lincoln (Newark) show 25/26 Feb

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Nova
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: Leeds Central Model reappears Scunthorpe 18/19 Nov

Post by Nova »

meeting a young chap with some very interesting ideas connected with resin casting
That'd be me :)
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

36C Studeos, kits in 4MM scale: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11947
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Leeds Central Model reappears Scunthorpe 18/19 Nov

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Leeds Central will appear once again on Saturday 25th and Sunday 26th February, at the "Lincoln" model railway exhibition actually to be held this year at the NEWARK showground, just off the A1 at its junction with the A46 and A17.

N.B. whilst it was previously suggested, incorrectly as it turns out, that Spalding, November 2015 might be this layout's last public appearance, the owner now tells me that the showing at Lincoln / Newark REALLY IS planned to be its last bow....
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
nickrail
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Re: Leeds Central Model - Lincoln (Newark) show 25/26 Feb

Post by nickrail »

Hi. Think this is my first post regarding Leeds Central and comes after seeing John's wonderful model of the station at the Lincoln exhibition (in Newark) and enjoying the chat with Graeme, Stuart and John about the model. I haven't managed to get to many exhibitions lately and this time had dragged (or persuaded) my father who has Parkinson's to come out with me. I owe my interest in railways to him after spending many summer evenings after his work sat on the bank above Dukeries Junction, Tuxford watching the transition from steam to diesel and leaping for joy as the train appearing under the bridge carrying the old LDEC lines was an A1, A3 or A4 blasting north. Now I've always wanted to model that junction but time, space and other life factors meant that fundamentally, I haven't. But (and this is the reason for the post) I have been quietly beavering away in my basement on an interpretation of Leeds Central. Not a lot of space (but more than some) so the already cramped station layout of Leeds Central has had further rationalisation and simplification of the pointwork (the scissor crossings with slips) to create something of a resemblance to the original. The other job I've yet to do is to give it the correct shaped overall roof as I've gone for a quick fix using a modified Peco arched kit. It was brilliant see the station roof and buildings modelled so expertly on John's layout. Anyway, if you're exhibiting up north sometime it would be good to know (and by north I mean well past Leeds) as I'm sure there's many other things I could pick your brains about. It was a really great experience for both myself and my Dad. Thanks.
And as promised I will load a picture of it as soon as I've worked out how to....

Ah I think this might work...apologies for brickwork but that's a basement for you. I will try to upload others at some later moment.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Hi Nick,

That looks very good. Sorry to be brief, but I'm a little busy at present.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Ooh, very good. Like it just for the N1 alone, not a class seen modelled that often.

Never saw Leeds when steam was still operating, as the family trips down the ECML were to York and points North; but travel through the current Leeds station and can see how your model relates.
Danby Wiske
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Danby Wiske »

Hatfield Shed wrote:...but travel through the current Leeds station and can see how your model relates.
Then you must have a very active imagination!
Leeds Central closed in 1967 and was demolished. The current station is Leeds City, a 1938 amalgamation of the former Wellington and New stations with many subsequent alterations...
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Danby Wiske wrote:
Hatfield Shed wrote:...but travel through the current Leeds station and can see how your model relates.
Then you must have a very active imagination!
Leeds Central closed in 1967 and was demolished. The current station is Leeds City, a 1938 amalgamation of the former Wellington and New stations with many subsequent alterations...
Well there we are! All that red brick structure looked so right to me for the approach to the current Leeds.
nickrail
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by nickrail »

Thanks for the comments.
To Hatfield Shed and Danby Whiske, I'm glad that the model evokes any memories. As Danby mentions the Leeds Central that this is based on did indeed close in 1967 (and I have no memories of it) but it was very close to the current Leeds City station and I think I've taken a little modelers license to have buildings that are representative of that area between or surrounding the two stations - hence the familiarity. If I was going for complete accuracy I'd probably have a replica of the Leeds Electric Company power station with its tall chimneys looming in the background - it still might appear.
The NI was from a Little Engines kit (long since discontinued) that I came across at an exhibition many years ago.
It's the signals that make Leeds Central so identifiable - recreated here thanks to MSE parts (and burnt fingers doing the soldering) - they all work but aren't connected to an operating mechanism at the moment as finding room for 4 wires and associated cranks for each gantry beneath the baseboard (where there is the fiddle yard) has proved too much of a technical difficulty - but I'm working on it.
I'd also like to thank all the people who have written or posted images of the real location on this forum and elsewhere as I've based everything on available historical documentation, never having seen the real thing.
By the way Graeme (Atlantic 3279), the modelling of the platform ends where the loco's come to rest is brilliant. Due to lack of space I've had to do an off screen dodge on mine and so don't have this bit.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

This was brought to my attention today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmcJxz7H79E

In particular, 3 minutes 15 seconds to 9 minutes 22 seconds.

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Some very fetching stripes there.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Yes, I'm a sergeant now....

LS1
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by LS1 »

Hi Atlantic,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, though I’m really impressed with Leeds Central, it’s a great layout.

I was wondering how you managed the scissor crossings on the north inbound tracks and also what plans you used? I can’t find a consistent plan of the tracks that looks suitable.

My aim is to do a recreation in n gauge once I have the right info.

Do you have the plans at all and if poss could you please point me in the direction of what you used?

Thank you
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

The layout construction was the work of John White. I simply made a few bits and pieces for it and helped him to set-up, operate and pack away at shows. I don't think the scissor crossings were modelled, the whole track plan being simplified to some extent to suit available Peco code 75 FB points and track. I know John found several books and published articles in periodicals that helped in one way or another. The OS maps accessible through the National Library of Scotland website, with various dates, were quite useful, along with some material that appeared in one of the Great Northern Engine sheds books, and at least one article from Steam Days magazine. I don't have the full references for these, and I'm sure there were other significant sources.
The fiddle yard for the layout was scrapped some time ago, the station section now being a fairly permanent part of John's home layout.