Leeds Central Model - Lincoln (Newark) show 25/26 Feb

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

davidwest
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: Leeds Central Model - at Hull show 8th & 9th November 20

Post by davidwest »

That triplet set is looking really impressive.

I realize that's a kirk kit - I've had my eye on the comet kit for ages. I do hope that a buyer is found for that range.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

The trouble with Atlantic's postings is that they often lead to more jobs being added to my roundtuit pile.

I have a Kirk triplet set which must have been one of the very early productions. It was the first Kirk kit I bought and I remember buying it at Horsham during a CAMRA pub crawl. It came with wide treaded wheels which wouldn't negotiate my pointwork when I rediscovered it recently.

I shall copy the postings detailing the upgrading and file them for later action.

My thanks to GK for posting interesting articles.

A final thought is that the triplets normally had a heavy duty bogie at the articulation points.

Earlswood Nob
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

It may not be discernible in the pictures, but the triplet has a mongrel arrangement of bogies at present. One of the artic bogies was replaced by a Bachmann bogie before the kit was passed to me for attention. A second Bachmann bogie would help to suggest the heavier appearance at the second artic position compared to the slender Kirk bogies at the ends. Maybe John will have a spare....

The glazing is all done now, including translucent material in the corridor windows of the kitchen car with brass handrail showing through. Corridor connectors made and fitted too. Too little time and enthusiasm later last night to start on the black paintwork, so that's a job for this evening.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Afternoon all

I have just measured my Kirk Triplet and it corresponds with the 1924/8 sets (diag 12/13/14) with a 41ft kitchen car. the 1938 sets (diag 255) had a 45ft11ins kitchen car.

Earlswood nob
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

That's interesting, considering that this one (and every other Kirk triplet?) has angle trussing rather than rods with turnbuckles. It's definitely a generic model on my workbench then, especially as I was planning to number the model as one of the 1938 sets........

Speaking of which, black paintwork now applied too. When the transfers arrive I shall apply the waist lining first of all as that contrasting line will provide an acid test of acceptably equal ride-heights through the vehicle set. I've a feeling I may have to further lower the kitchen car in order to make the lined sides look correct. That in turn will generate a problem with the roof lines as the kitchen car roof is already a little too low. It may ultimately be necessary for me to take the existing gutters and roof board brackets off the roof moulding and then add 1mm of height to its lower edges, creating new gutters in the process. A "fudge" may suffice until the Hull show is over however!

Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

Hi Everybody

Graeme's comments on the ride height of the kitchen car has had me out in the shed looking at mine built nearly 30 years ago. Fortunately as it is in teak livery with subtle lining it doesn't really show that the kitchen car has sides that are in fact too low in height. I built this set originally for my father and must have forgotten about this shortcoming in the kit. Mine has the roofs pretty well inline and the kitchen car is setup on a plasticard base around the screw location on the centre line of the bogie frame to keep the roofs in line. Mine is fitted with rudimentary truss rod underframe, because as Earlswood points out it is based on the 1924/28 sets. Mine is actually modelled on a 1928 set built for the Flying Scotsman. Currently it still has the Kirk light weight bogies but may eventually get heavy duty bogies.

Woodcock29
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

The great thing about this forum is that the goal posts are always being moved.

Until Atlantic posted his work on the Kirk triplet, I had never thought about which diagram it was close to.

Improving mine may well end up a useful winter evening project. It would also provide a "Yin-Yang" contrast to keep interest and motivation centred on modelling and not wandering astray. Loco modelling during the day and Coach modelling during the evening, when at home, seems a good way to reduce my roundtuit pile.

Earlswood nob
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I thought initially that the fault in this example of the kit was non-matching heights of sides, but with the freedom to remove the roofs and put them end to end on a flat surface the true cause of height discrepancy emerges. The kitchen car roof profile is a good 1mm shallower than each of the restaurant car roofs.

The matter is complicated further by the fact that the original builder hasn't got all of the lower edges of the sides in the same positions relative to the floors and solebars.......

earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

One interesting point regarding the Triplet Restaurant cars is that the saloons allowed for a majority of smokers over non-smokers.
The first class carriage was 24:12 for smokers, and the third 24:18 also in favour of smoking seats.

How things have changed.

Earlswood nob
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Quick pic of first attempt at waist lining the triplet on the beading, one side only so far. To my surprise and relief, the lining doesn't (to my eye) emphasize the height discrepancy as much as I had feared. Perhaps it gives the eye something else to look at?

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Looks very nice other than BR yuk Maroon :D

Maybe the picture , but it makes it look like the left end of the Kitchen Car is higher than the right.
35windsorlad
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by 35windsorlad »

Excellent job Graeme. The transfers'/lining look spot on, can't wait to see it thundering on the up main at Doncaster being pulled by a green Deltic. Sorry I meant A4.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

thundering on the up main
Sprouts in First Class again?
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

mick b wrote:Looks very nice other than BR yuk Maroon :D

Maybe the picture , but it makes it look like the left end of the Kitchen Car is higher than the right.
Could be wonky track.......

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Running numbers still to be applied, but completion of John's triplet refurb draws nigh.

Now does anybody know with certainty where the words KITCHEN CAR and the BR roundel should be placed on this side of the kitchen car?