Leeds Central Model - Lincoln (Newark) show 25/26 Feb

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Leeds Central Model - at Hull show 8th & 9th November 20

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Although I can't run them on Leeds Central owing to the silly electricity thereon, I shall take the Gresley eight-coupled extravaganza with me to the Hull show in case anybody wants a closer look. I'll take some of the App-Frod wagons too.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
amdaley
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Re: Leeds Central Model - at Hull show 8th & 9th November 2014

Post by amdaley »

Beautiful looking layout.
What are its dimensions & is there a track plan somewhere ?
Regards.
Tony.
35windsorlad
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by 35windsorlad »

Leeds Central is still on the rounds of the exhibition circuit, it can be seen at the following shows, Caistor(Lincolnshire) 10/11th October, Leeds 31st Oct 1st Nov 2015 and Spalding in November 14/15th November2015..

The layout overall measurements are 20ft x 9ft,for track formation this can be seen in an edition of Model Rail issue number 194 date April 2014.

I hope I have answered your question.
amdaley
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by amdaley »

Thanks you for the information.
I live in Ireland so my chances of seeing the layout are slim.
I will look for a copy of the relevant Model Rail edition.
Thank you.
Regards.
Tony.
Regards.
Tony.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Leeds Central Model - at Caistor(Lincs), Leeds & Spalding 2015

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

On show again at Caistor this weekend, the most under publicised model railway exhibition on the planet, yet people keep turning up at it.

It's supposed to be moving to Market Rasen next year for the sake of better parking. Maybe it will occur to somebody before then that a little more free on-line publicity might result in more attendance and more takings for the club.....
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
AJ427
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by AJ427 »

Graeme, it was good to meet up and compare models at the Leeds Exhibition on Saturday. I think I shall be picking your brains for further tips on resin casting in due course.

Here's a few pics of Leeds Central (it was rather dingy in that sports hall).
Leeds Central-6119.jpg
Leeds Central-6120.jpg
Graeme in control of N1 69462
Graeme in control of N1 69462
Graeme in control of fantasy P2
Graeme in control of fantasy P2
AJ in Bradford

My Ivatt N1 3d printed models available here http://www.shapeways.com/shops/AJModels

My Great Hotton Blog (Bradford-Queensbury Lines 50s) https://ajmodels.wordpress.com/
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I see that changes to the way that imageshack are now hosting old images, uploaded when they still offered free hosting, have wrecked all of the older image links on this thread. Only payers now get automatic functioning of image links. I have established that the links to the free images can actually be restored, but it is a one image at a time, tedious task, so I haven't bothered with any more than a couple of "test" images. With the very many images that I had in other threads on this site, the task of going through them all would be massively time-consuming. I apologize for the effect that this loss of images has. I hope Photobucket don't do the same thing in due course.

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

For those who would like to see Leeds Central despite the disappearance of the images previously featured on here, the layout will be at Spalding show this coming weekend. As far as I know, John has not accepted any invitations after this show. He may well have it in mind for the layout to become more or less permanently plugged-in to his developing rendition of Doncaster, which will never leave home.

Last call for Leeds Central? Interested parties please beat a path to Spalding....

Flying Fox 34F
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Flying Fox 34F »

Graeme,

Should be at Spalding on Sunday. Wife wants to raid the shops. How very convenient.

Paul 4475
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I should by Saturday be in possession of limonene.

Wife + shops? Sounds expensive....

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Determined to avoid having nothing new to show at the fourth exhibition in succession this Autumn, I've done a little more on my J2 conversion this week. Your may remember me starting it a while ago, before the need to catch up on masses of other jobs and / or lie around coughing, sniffling and being completely unable to think or motivate myself robbed me of most of my time. The scrap running plate that I first used as a trial piece has now been replaced by a good one, adapted in the same way to fit the stripped K3 chassis, with additional modifications to deepen the splashers, shorten the front overhang, deepen the box over the piston tail rods and alter the frame top profiles. There's still more to do to tidy the running plate, so it isn't a two minute job to convert the J6 item to J2 guise. I've also extended the cab side sheets and arranged for the cab front to actually meet the rear of the boiler! I've tacked the body together with spots of superglue and temporarily "gooed" a chimney a dome in place to allow me to check in more detail just how things look and measure up. I think the boiler at present sits a shade high, showing too much daylight between boiler bottom and splasher tops, but I'm getting somewhere near the right result. I'll try to get a picture up on here today if time allows, otherwise it will have to wait until next week after the Spalding show - unless of course anybody wants to see the model so far at Spalding. I'll certainly have it with me, behind Leeds Central.

Last chance to see the layout????

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Well! Would you believe it? Despite much muttering about the effort and trouble involved in attending shows, Leeds Central will be out of captivity again at SCUNTHORPE, 19th and 20th NOVEMBER.

With NEC commitments to honour only a week later, my time at the Scunthorpe event will be severely limited, but John 1 and John 2 will be doing a fine job of playing trains in and out of the terminus.

S.A.C. Martin

Re: Leeds Central Model reappears Scunthorpe 18/19 Nov

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Just spotted the BR Dark Green "Cock O' The North" P2 in one of the pictures above. It looks surprisingly good in that livery but it sticks out like a sore thumb amongst the beauty of the accurate modelling around it...!
Nova
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Nova »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:Well! Would you believe it? Despite much muttering about the effort and trouble involved in attending shows, Leeds Central will be out of captivity again at SCUNTHORPE, 19th and 20th NOVEMBER.

With NEC commitments to honour only a week later, my time at the Scunthorpe event will be severely limited, but John 1 and John 2 will be doing a fine job of playing trains in and out of the terminus.
That's awesome, I'm a member of that club and I'll be assisting with Photography over the weekend (to ease with identification, I'm Luke W.), and considering that this will class as the only show i visit for the entire year it'll be good to see, by my standards anyway, a celebrity layout attending.
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

36C Studeos, kits in 4MM scale: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11947
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Leeds Central Model reappears Scunthorpe 18/19 Nov

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I had quite an enlightening visit to sunny Scunny's "Sunshine Hall" today, meeting a young chap with some very interesting ideas connected with resin casting, and being shown some very interesting no-longer-available coach kits by John2. The home club had loaned two operators for the weekend too, so I didn't even have to cover a lunch break on Leeds Central! Thealby, a 3mm scale model based on the North Lindsey Light Railway also looked quite interesting and nicely presented, although I gather there were some running problems...

I took a few pictures of Leeds anyway, nothing very skilful I'm afraid:
STA70487.JPG
STA70488.JPG
STA70489.JPG
STA70490.JPG
STA70491.JPG