Leeds Central Model - Lincoln (Newark) show 25/26 Feb

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Leeds Central Model latest - A 1930s interlude.

Post by Atso »

Some cracking pictures Graeme. Backdating Leeds Central seems to have given a whole different feel and charm. That N2 is a bit far north though, isn't it? :roll:
Steve
LNER4479
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by LNER4479 »

"I have already spaced the up and down main to the prototype of 6ft,It doesn't look all that clear on the photograph, the up and down slow are spaced about 8ft from the main"

Hi John,

Fantastic! As you say, obviously not clear from the photos, although I can see what looks like spacer pieces in use and the middle one certainly looks narrower than the platform roads. Did I see it somewhere that in GNR (and possibly LNER) days, Doncaster had canopies that covered the tracks of each platform road such that the support columns were in the 'eight foot' (as you refer to it as), hence making use of this extra space? This was certainly the arrangement at Boston on the East Lincs mainline (another GNR station with centre through roads).

Look forward to seeing pics of further developments (and a trackplan possibly?) :wink:
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

The N2 was a bit far North really, although a small number of N2s did have brief spells in the West Riding where their extra power compared to the N1s was expected to be useful - until they were deemed too top-heavy for use on the many tightly curved routes. I'm not sure that these events took place in late thirties, but with no N1 in my stud at present the N2 was the best I could provide for the suburban trains.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

G'day all
I try and models locos that worked South/West Riding in 1930's. I have notes of four N2's at Ardsley in 1937; 4736,2585,2592, and 2593. There were also four at Bradford at the same time.
I think 4744 was a Kings Cross loco for its LNER life, but it could have been repaired at Doncaster and running in.

Earlswood nob (watching TV golf in Wirral Railway territory)
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:...but with no N1 in my stud at present the N2 was the best I could provide for the suburban trains.
Fancy having a go at that nice looking 3D printed one that was floating around on here awhile back (Simon was that you doing the test build?). :wink:
Steve
auldreekie

Post by auldreekie »

Super pictures. Cannot for a moment think what he is looking so unhappy about....

auldreekie
60129 GUY MANNERING

Post by 60129 GUY MANNERING »

auldreekie wrote:Super pictures. Cannot for a moment think what he is looking so unhappy about....

auldreekie

Unhappy ! Unhappy !

That's our John looking in a positively fantastically good mood. When he looks unhappy you will soon know. :D :D :lol: :lol:
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

The C1 on the Pullman does it for me!
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

2750 wrote:The C1 on the Pullman does it for me!
100% agree! 8)
Steve
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Atso wrote:
2750 wrote:The C1 on the Pullman does it for me!
100% agree! 8)
York had two in the 1930s which are probably the maximum I can use on Thirsk. One of York's had cut down fittings for working under the NBL (4777 I think). Wish I could have more.
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

G'day all
OK, Tom, I've bit. 4777 was a V2, not a C1, but it was at York.

Earlswood nob

PS: The Atlantic on the Pullman does look good.

Oops, had my numbers muddled. 4447 is what I meant. There is a lovely photo of her in Yeadon on the turntable at Scarborough in the Summer of 1938.
auldreekie

Post by auldreekie »

60129 GUY MANNERING wrote:
auldreekie wrote:Super pictures. Cannot for a moment think what he is looking so unhappy about....

auldreekie

Unhappy ! Unhappy !

That's our John looking in a positively fantastically good mood. When he looks unhappy you will soon know. :D :D :lol: :lol:

HELP! Let me off, before it gets any more scary!!!

auldsqueakie
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Leeds Central, back to its usual guise with mucky dark green engines and maroon coaches, will be appearing again at Hull show on 8th & 9th November.

If anybody has any nice LNER liveried locos equipped for running on Satan's digital electrickery, why not bring 'em along and we can try to persuade John of the error of his ways? Alternatively, perhaps like minded LNER fans in attendance could gang up on him and insist that he install some proper section switches so that an alternative analogue supply can be connected to the layout at times. Hang on, now there's an idea, some of us could distract him while he is on a walkabout around the show and others could re-wire the layout in his absence......

I'm sure John will be relieved to know that his restaurant triplet is now well-on into the refurbishment process and should be ready with time to spare before the show. Only with heavy heart did I manage to spray red-oxide primer over the teak coloured sides. Sacrilege!
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Leeds Central Model - at Hull show 8th & 9th November 20

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Now in Phoenix Precision BR Maroon.

I wonder what the original (1970s?) gloss white paint on the roofs might have been. I bet nothing nearly as good can be bought these days. A long soak in brake fluid last night didn't even worry the stuff mildly. I resorted to rubbing it down with a nylon scourer and kitchen cleaning cream ready for re-spraying with dark grey.

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Leeds Central Model - at Hull show 8th & 9th November 20

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

More work done on that triplet. Roofs made to look less plain than they originally did with only rainstrips and ventilators. Working from the very limited evidence in the photographs and drawings that I could find in the time available, I've added roof board brackets, end steps, alarm gear, tank fillers and a representation of the externally carried lighting conduits. I'm not sure whether the latter are represented in a totally correct way, but I don't intend to alter them now as the roofs have already been sprayed in a slightly "browned" dark grey. It may well be that there should be some grab rails and pipes in certain places too. The more I looked at the drawings in Nick Campling's orange book, compared these with Comet's, and looked for evidence in poor photographs the more uncertain I became. Built over the course of a couple of decades, possibly with different cooking arrangements, ventilation (and maybe lighting too) in different examples of these vehicles it must be very difficult to get details spot-on. This triplet set will be a generic one in the end! I've redistributed the battery boxes on the underframes too, having noted that on the model as received they were fitted one-side-only on each vehicle. They are now fitted both sides on all, slightly offset from the centres of the trusses. Two extra dynamos have been added to the kitchen car. Stepboards have been replaced and/or more securely attached as necessary. At an earlier stage in the project I had already reinforced the Kirk bogies with blocks of plastic in the angle between the sides and the bolsters, along with levelling out the ride heights as best I could and attaching some NEM pockets at the outer ends.

Jobs still to do by my reckoning include the fitting of working corridor connectors (paper bellows and rubbing plate from plastikard), black painting of ends and oversprayed areas of underframes, reinstallation of glazing (that's only white paper "for effect" in the kitchen car at present) and when we're quite sure that all else is done, reattaching the roofs.

Then of course there's the small matter of lining and lettering......