Dapol M7 to G5?

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Dapol M7 to G5?

Post by Atso »

Hi guys,

I was just wondering would it be possible to convert Dapol's M7 into an approximation of a G5 loco? Has anybody tried this. Ideas and/or opinions would be welcome.

Thanks
Steve
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I think at least one person on the N Gauge listserver (ngauge at yahoogroups.com) has tried. I have too many projects to keep me busy, so I just keep dropping hints to Dapol instead. We're not the only people who'd buy a G5 if they were to produce one.

It would have to be with an NER autocoach. Considering they still haven't produced an SR autocoach (or similar) for the M7, this could be asking too much!

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

would similar be possible with hornby and an M7 in 00? Both the dropping of hints for a G5 and modifiying.
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway
Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Colombo »

The M7 was a larger loco than the G5 with 5'9" driving wheels as against the 5'1" on the G5. Such compromises are now frowned upon.

However it would be perhaps be possible to use the M7 chassis, designed by Dougald Drummond, to represent a Pickersgill Caledonian 0-4-4T. It is time there were some purely Scottish RTR locos in addition to the dated Hornby J83.

Colombo
TonyM
NBR J36 0-6-0

M7 to G5

Post by TonyM »

Hi I have converted my M7 to an ex NBR loco that became LNER G7 looks good to me it may not be truly pucka but I like it and it runs my auto train
Tony
Real Trains Run on Steam and have LNER on the tender.
Colombo

Post by Colombo »

Tony,.

I had not spotted the close similarity. There is not a great deal of difference. On the face of it there are few changes that are needed. The boiler mountings look OK and the wheels and splashers are as well.

The top of the G7's side tank is curved and not square.
The front frame extensions on the G7 are missing on the M7.
The coal rails need reducing to three.
A bit of plumbing needs changing

..and there you have it. Its a pity that they were all withdrawn so early on.

Have you a photo?

Colombo
TonyM
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by TonyM »

Hi Colombo
I will not be bothering with details like the extra coal rail or pipework.
I am 65 and the eyesight is not so good, as far as i am concerned if it looks close it is close. Will post a photo when I have finished the transfers. Am waiting for the correct size from Fox. I am also not bothering with buffer beam numbers. My layout is for enjoyment not details I can`t see, like I am doing A4 Silver Link in the three greys but I am not able to fit valances and it will have a double chimney but will look good. I aim to have it ready for the Dapol Teak Gresleys when they come out.
Cheers
Tony
Colombo

Post by Colombo »

Tony,

We are all free to do as we wish and I agree with you that it is a good approximation to a G7 as it stands. Someone else may want to do a bit more work on it though, and there is a shortage of Scottish Prototypes.

Trimming the coal rails down to three would be easy and would make it look less like an M7.

This would also work with Hornby's 00 gauge M7.

I look forward to seeing your photos.

Colombo
TonyM
NBR J36 0-6-0

Photos of the G7

Post by TonyM »

Here is the finished result of the Dapol M7 conversion to ex NBR P class became LNER G7.
It is not totally accurate but it gives me something different to run
Attachments
New Locos and Trains 001.jpg
(323.05 KiB) Downloaded 257 times
Last edited by TonyM on Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Looks good Tony - and you've lined it. That's something that I've not yet plucked up the courage to try!

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
rob
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by rob »

Good move,if I were modelling in N I would do exactly the same-in a sense I often wonder would it have been better if the rtr manufacturers had offered more variety rather than absolute veracity and minute detail-look at John Suttons beautiful work in 3mm-he does not fit brake gear to locos yet his layout and stock ooze atmosphere.The clerestory coach is something I've not seen often in N either.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Tony, that looks great! Really makes me want one now!
Steve
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Just bought one from Hattons! Another one to add to the collection! :D Thanks again Tony for showing what can be done!
Steve
TonyM
NBR J36 0-6-0

G7

Post by TonyM »

Thanks guys I do my best with failing eyesight and Richard I cheated with the lining it is Dapols. I bought the BR version and only removed the transfers I did not want. The clerestory coach is the Langley model and was a real swine to build. I will post some more photos now I have numbered the coach that is when I get round to taking some.
Tony
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Tony, did you just remove the transfers or did you repaint the tank sides as well? I understand that most lining will come off using a litte meths and a lot of elbow grease. Once the lining is off hows is the painwork underneath affected?

Thanks in advance
Steve