Nu-Cast P2 - Rebuild using RTR Components

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

S.A.C. Martin

Nu-Cast P2 - Rebuild using RTR Components

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

I've an opportunity to buy a complete and possibly running Nu Cast Gresley P2 and my first thought turns to bringing it up to a reasonable standard.

Checking the drawings I have against what spare parts I have, and against what I know the Nu Cast P2 (it's the streamlined one) has, I have identified that I improve the model by using a super detail Hornby A4 Non corridor tender, a Hornby A4 cab and the Hornby A3/A4 cartazzi to replace the Nu-Cast items. Is my thinking correct, and is there anything else I should be thinking of with regards improving the Nu-Cast model?

The model comes in an all over black livery, as no.2006 with full LNER on the tender and red front buffer shanks with red nameplates. Is this an accurate livery? Looking at "Power of the A2s" there is mention the class did receive an all over black livery, but also that they lost the streamlined fairing ahead of the cylinders (like the A4s?) - is there a photograph of this livery being carried anywhere?
Last edited by S.A.C. Martin on Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Nu-Cast P2 - improvements?

Post by Saint Johnstoun »

Yeadon Vol 9 has two shots, and RCTS Vol. 6B one.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Saint Johnstoun wrote:Yeadon Vol 9 has two shots, and RCTS Vol. 6B one.
Thank you kindly sir. I will go and look those up immediately. :)
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Look forward to seeing before and after shots...
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Something like this :?:

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Some tealeaf's 'ad it away wiv your buffers, mister.
Tony.
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Tony. »

Ive got one of these kits laying around, and i need some one to build it for me :/
Pebbles
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Pebbles »

Whatever else you propose to do the Hornby A3/4 Cartazzi is not appropiate; check with a drawing.
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Horsetan wrote:Something like this :?:

Where do you start?? Structurally, I'd start by straightening the running plate - they should be straight and level across the driving wheels. If the smokebox hatch can be popped out, I'd do so and get it to fit much smoother. The P2 cab is bigger than the A4, so I'd leave well alone. As long as your N/C tender can be modified with the fairings above the sidesheets, then maybe it could be an idea to replace the kit tender, if that is what you would like to do.

Assuming of course that all depends on your sample coming out like this one. The red front buffers are a big no no on a streamliner, as is the LNER on the black livery (have to check with the experts). Also, the red nameplates are wrong for the P2's as a whole.

Assuming you do purchase 2006, will you be keeping the black or going for apple green? I do remember a conversation with Golden Age, or was it L.H. Loveless, about what colour the reversing lever should be. Their sample of 2003 was left bright metal, but a model of the same loco in 00 built for my sister had been painted. The green 'uns seemed to support the latter, but apparently there was a photo of it ex-works with it bright.
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Thanks for the responses gents, but I am genuinely puzzled.

I used an A4 cab in building my A2/2 recently - was this not the one portion Thompson didn't chànge? If using an A4 cab was suitable for an A2/2, why isn't it useable for a P2?

Regarding the Cartazzi, modifications would be needed for accuracy but it's a better bet than the Nu Cast one surely?

Lastly, the tender fairings I am confident can be added to the existing Hornby tender.

I do intend the model to retain the wartime black livery.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I'll stick my neck out Simon and say that I'm not aware of a difference in cab size. Maybe I will now be educated.

The snag with the Cartazzi is going to be the amount of rear overhang. With the larger firebox and therefore longer grate compared to the pacifics, the cab on the P2s was about a foot further back relative to the Cartazzi axle, hence there's more plain framing on show between the Cartazzi units and the rear crew steps. A cut and shut ought to be possible so as to lengthen the Hornby moulding, that way you'd still get the nice representation of the axleboxes and springs. Somebody on here has already done that so as to fit the Hornby unit to a Bachmann Peppercorn pacific which has similar rear end geometry to the P2.

Depending on the age of the NuCast loco its looks (when we get to see it) may be open to considerable improvement via new scale size, shallow flange coupled wheels.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Saint Johnstoun »

The A4 and P2 cabs are different but the same - the A4 cab has straight sides at the rear whilst the P2 cab on 2001-2 turns in like the A3 one. The original two 2001 and 2002 didn't have the additional ventilators when new nor did 2003-6; they were added later. The cabs on 2003-6 had straight sides at the rear like the A4s.

So it depends on which loco you want to model how the cab is.
Last edited by Saint Johnstoun on Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

I am looking at "Power of the A2s" and the no.2006 feature. Cabsides straight as a die, no turn in. Extra ventilators present too. 2001 and 2002 on the other hand appear to have turn ins to the cab side sheets. Photographic evidence trumps the written word?

I am examining my insinglass drawings now and an A4 cab is spot on for no.2006 with modifications to the lower front of the side sheets.

One thing I missed - rivets! On the valances over the cylinders. Definitely worth adding using archers.

An A4 chimney suitably modified may also give a better result than the Nu cast one.

I agree entirely regarding the Cartazzi.

Thanks for your thoughts gents.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Paint it BR green, and say Thompson's rebuild never happened :P :P

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Like the one just above the bottom of here?