Nu-Cast P2 - Rebuild using RTR Components

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Nu-Cast P2 - improvements?

Post by Atso »

S.A.C. Martin wrote:Photographic evidence trumps the written word?
No, photographic evidence cannot trump the written word... In order to get things completely right we must ensure that we remember the 'order of factual accuracy':

1.) Television - remember folks if its on TV then it must be true! (Films also fall into this category). 8)
2.) Spoken word - remember the story might have been handed down to a million people but they always swear that is the truth! :lol:
3.) Books/Written word
4.) Photographic evidence - I'm always weary of this one as photographs can be edited - apparently over on RMweb Gresley managed to build his 4-8-2's and they lasted into BR days! 8)
5.) Reality - I never believe this one, since when did reality ever get things right! :roll:

Joking aside, the only person who can decide if this is right or not is your good self. If you're happy with the methods you've outlined then go for it! Personally, I'd be looking how to convert it into 2001's original condition!!! :wink:

If all else fails, remember rule 1!
Steve
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

jwealleans wrote:Like the one just above the bottom of here?
Another of those is alive and well running as a "Retford Pacific", if you'll forgive the new twist on that sort of name.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I'm pleased to hear that, though I don't recall seeing it.

I'll resist the urge to ask if it goes round... no... must not start that again.....
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Thin ice JW?
S.A.C. Martin wrote:An A4 chimney suitably modified may also give a better result than the Nu cast one.
I suspect that the curve/slope of the base, and the length/shape of the fairing behind the pots might not marry up. Worth a look though.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

I think you're probably right Graeme, but it's worth a look if only in desperation!

I've more or less got in my head that the A4 cab, A3/4 Cartazzi and tender, all carefully modified, can be used. I think I've also identified how to improve the front end of the streamlined casing with minimal alteration. The next big job is to source wheel sets for the chassis. I do have a spare set of Nu Cast 6ft 2in drivers but as you say Graeme, I'd prefer something more fine scale in look. Should I be looking at a set of Slaters perhaps?

It's not going to end up being perfect by any means but I think the potential for significant improvements is there certainly.
Tony.
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Tony. »

simon would you like to build my p2 kit .?

I just have the time / effort / right skills to do it .?

:)
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Not I Tony - not a good enough modeller by far, hence my current line of thinking! :)
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

A 'cheat' we did with my sister's P2 was to use flangeless wheels on the 2nd and 3rd driving axles to help with going around our then Hornby 3rd radius curves. Maybe I should have done that with my Mountain? :roll:

On a serious note, sounds like you've got enough ideas being passed on to more suitably improve your would-be purchase.
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
Tony.
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Tony. »

S.A.C. Martin wrote:Not I Tony - not a good enough modeller by far, hence my current line of thinking! :)

My idea was to build the loco then build the tender from a tender drive loco and somehow fix in the pony wheel from a tender drive for the pick up
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Slaters?

S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

I mean Romfords don't I? :oops:

Edit:

Aha! Markits do the full set including spoked tender wheels for a little under £70.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Lucky you, to get your hands on a P2, but , by the time you've rebuilt the cab, done the nose up, fixed the chimney, tarted up the tender and rewheeled the loco, you ain't gonna have much of the kit left !!!!! are you sure your name's not Thompson.......... he couldn't leave the P2's alone as well :P :P

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Yeah, at £5 per driving wheel, less axle costs, I gave Markits a wide berth for anything other than bits and pieces years ago, sorry. The quality of the whitemetal wheels has been off on a couple of occasions too - buckled from the get go, but relatively easy to bend back into shape.
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

I've had some problems with Markits wheels shorting out. So I taught meself how to use Gibsons. Half the price - hence happier Wallet! :mrgreen:

I have, however, never had a day's luck with Gibson's crankpins so I use Romfords instead. Can be soldered even on plastic centred wheels but you have to be QUICK with the iron. Assemble the gearbox and chassis dry, use Loctite 603 Retaining Compound on the axle and you'll have no worries. I got two 0-4-4Ts, an L & Y Pug and a Half Cab wot run OK.
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
Tony.
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Tony. »

manna wrote:G'Day Gents

Lucky you, to get your hands on a P2, but , by the time you've rebuilt the cab, done the nose up, fixed the chimney, tarted up the tender and rewheeled the loco, you ain't gonna have much of the kit left !!!!! are you sure your name's not Thompson.......... he couldn't leave the P2's alone as well :P :P

manna
Got mine at work for £20 ;)

And let's say I don't have modelling hands / skills to model lol