Nu-Cast P2 - Rebuild using RTR Components

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Tony.
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Re: Nu-Cast P2 - improvements?

Post by Tony. »

My p2 kit

S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Tony. wrote:My p2 kit

Is that the Nu-cast one Tony? If so that confirms my thoughts that the cab can be removed quite easily without damaging the boiler.

RE Wheels - so what should I be looking at? Romfords to replace the original driving wheels? I have had word back which says the P2 runs very sweetly (excellent news!) so we've agreed a price and it'll be in my possession in the next few weeks I suspect.

I got a job lot of three Hornby A4 bodyshells which has given me at least three cabs and a whistle to fit onto the P2, and today in the post another spare non-corridor tender arrived which is now earmarked for the P2. I've checked over the modifications to be made and I don't think it's going to be too much trouble to convert the much superior Hornby tender to a P2 one with the original fairings.

I have made my final decision on livery - full wartime black as no.2006 with NE on the tender and copious amounts of weathering. I've even found a flangeless cartazzi wheelset spare to help with corners...! :)
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Looks like a K's to me. Wheels look like a screw fitting which are K's type . Hopefully the Boiler isnt fitted to either end :shock:
Tony.
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Tony. »

I actully don't know what the kit is or if it comes complete.

It came into work in sealed box aka ice cream box. And the kit isit fitted at all, only blue tack together for photo.

I want / need some one to fit, make it up
2512silverfox

Post by 2512silverfox »

Definately an original K's kit from the 70s. I remember advising Melvin Keyser when they were designing it. Not one of their best but not bad for the time!
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

The K's kit seems to have much of the rivet detail that the Nu Cast version doesn't have on the streamlined sides. Very interesting! Good to hear from someone who worked on it too. :)

I have another set of drawings from Isinglass on their way to compare to the two sets I already have to work out all of the things I need to change, but having received my A4 spare bodyshells in the post, I am happy to report that the A4 cab looks like it will go on without fuss.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up, Tony!

As a kit builder meself, I'd be glad to finish it for you.

Drop me a PM and I'll happily discuss terms.
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Okay, latest round of drawings to compare came in, and as was correctly observed, the A4 and the P2 cabsides are not identical.

This is down to the side sheets and the A4's streamlined fairing "V" at the top of the cab roof. The side sheets are shorter in height, and the overall difference (which in 4mm scale, is negligible) is a difference of about 1/4 of an inch. in the total length of the cab - the difference is not in the side sheet width, but the length of the "V point" at the top of the boiler casing. An A4 cab suitably modified will therefore be perfect for this conversion, taking care of the difference in the length of the tip of the "V" and the height at the front corners of the side sheets.

Otherwise there are no differences: they literally used the same drawings for the P2s as they did on the A4s, even down to the non-beaded side sheets.

The streamlined front is another matter. The curve and the length, and the difference in width of the flat of the smokebox across the curve, is completely different to the A4. The A4 has a much sharper front and the P2's curves back more gracefully to its first boiler band. This whole section is also longer on the P2. I am therefore not going to change the front end substantially, other than to try and match the more subtle details of the Hornby A4 through use of archer's rivets and similar.

The cartazzi from the A3/A4 can be happily used and cut/shut to correct length without further modification. This one is essential as the P2/3 I am buying has a swing link version which doesn't cut the mustard.

The tender modifications seem simple enough and are a direct match for the original A4 tender drawings with the larger area of fairings.

The chimney is not a direct match but is surprisingly close to the double chimney of the A4s. I am therefore going to have a go at modifying a Hornby double chimney to add onto my model.

Lastly - the RCTS books suggests that 2006 lost its streamlined casing ahead of the cylinders, but the Isinglass drawings refute that by pointing out the dates do not match up, and therefore it's likely 2006 whilst in NE Black still had its streamlined casing ahead of the cylinders. I am therefore going to leave that as it is too.

So final thoughts from me before I start work, probably next month, is that I will make the following modifications and additions:

1. A4 cab added and suitably modified.
2. A4 Tender added and suitably modified.
3. P2 front left intact but with rivet detail added.
4. Driving wheels to be replaced throughout.
5. Flangeless Cartazzi set to be provided and cartazzi to be replaced with a cut/shut Hornby A3 example.
6. A4 Double chimney, suitably modified, to be added.
7. All over wartime black livery applied and number 2006 with NE on the tender and black/brass nameplates as "Wolf of Badenoch".

That's the plan of action as it stands.
Last edited by S.A.C. Martin on Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Nice, hope to see WIP pictures as you go?
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Assuredly! :)
Tony.
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Tony. »

Simon, hopefully when I'm back in the country, blink Bonney is going to start on my p2 kit :)

Hopefully he might be able to help when building it.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Looking forward to it. Piccies to come.
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Saint Johnstoun »

Perhaps the P2 solution might be to create a decent resin body which could be modified into all variants. I daren't suggest that to Graeme at present as he has too much on, but in the fullness of time it might be the best way forward.

I have always wondered whether the boiler cladding on these locos was actually round, or was it slightly elliptical to cover the 'dome'?
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Saint Johnstoun wrote:....I daren't suggest that to Graeme at present as he has too much on.....
Waaaaayyyyy too much :mrgreen:

You can hear him trying to keep various plates spinning on top of various tall sticks.......
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Saint Johnstoun wrote:or was it slightly elliptical to cover the 'dome'
Can of worms! Study of suitable photos and drawings shows that: Lower half was semi circular, upper half semi elliptical to cover the dome. Top line was dead straight for the full length (edit: on the first two locos anyway, the Bugatti-noses having a sloping section in front of the dome position as St J. points out in his next post), yet the sides followed the underlying part-tapered contours of the Pacific-derived boiler and the reverse taper of the firebox. Working out the shapes to which the plates needed to be cut, forming them up correctly, and producing decent joints must have been an interesting job for the sheet-metal men.
It was certainly NOT just the parallel sided tube that seems to feature in many models.
Last edited by Atlantic 3279 on Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.