K3 almost finished! New pictures

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

Cheers for the plates, is that the broken LNER V2 I saw, but mines broken, and I'm not that clever!

I never thought about selling my Coldstreamer plates, as they are so small, but I still have them!

By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

Won, just need some numbers now, and I'll be at the York Show mondea, so will speak to Mr Fox.
How do numbers come? I need both sides and front, but each has 2 7's!!!
By Mark t
www.yorksteam.co.uk
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Glad you've got the plates! I've got some fox LNER transfers which I've used for the K3, you need to cut each one out and line it up on the cab side (a magnifying glass is a big help here!).

I'm going to be in York over the Bank holiday weekend with my girlfriend and plan to visit the NRM at some point!
Steve
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

Numberless Green Arrow in it's proper colour.
I offered Colin who sold me the plates, Coldstreamer ones by way of return but he was after plain 60885 of Thormanby,(well he lives in Whitley Bay!)

This is (after 4 attempts) the best picture of N Gauge I have taken, but the new camera helps, that I got for Christmas.
I found if I take them on full zoom, I can get in closer than I can not on full zoom. Only problem is that Dad has gone out, and I don't know where the tripod is, plus I have the worlds most shakey hand when on full zoom!
But the other 3 were too dark, and you couldn't read the plate!!
Attachments
DSCF0962-cut.JPG
Green Arrow
(77.05 KiB) Downloaded 131 times
By Mark t
www.yorksteam.co.uk
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

x568wcn wrote:Won, just need some numbers now, and I'll be at the York Show mondea, so will speak to Mr Fox.
just looked on Mr Fox's website and Mike has had a heart attack, but is now out of hospital, and all exhibtions have been cancelled with emediate effect.
So I'v emailed them, with a link to photos trying to describe what I want.

Oh and update, I have new book, LNER Allocations The Last Day to go with my one on the First day, and I have to have modellers licence, with V2, O7/8F and J94 all running side by side.
No O7s were based in York by the last day (were they at all?) and I plan to remumber 3 as 3000, 3015 & 3115 (I was born on the 15th and have a thing for the number!)
J94s came in later, and the 2 I have are number 8051 which was at Darlington, so looking to renumber these as 8031 & 8032 both York examples.

And now I have a second NRM Scostman, so looking to go for Colombo 2501 after removing the wings, but fox sell name plates with BR Numbers

Hmmm...
By Mark t
www.yorksteam.co.uk
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Mark,

The Green Arrow is looking good! Shame to hear about Mike, I was looking for the stand at York... I hope that he recovers soon.

The K3 is just about complete and I'll post some more pictures very soon - life has been getting in the way recently along with this thing call a job which really takes up too much time!

I have also spent some time fettling my V2 and it's new tender drive to improve its handling around corners, I guess I've done as much as I can until I get around to build be permanent layout...

Having been successful with the K3 I am trying to decided what is next in my build list. I'm currently torn between an C1, O2, V1, J50 and the N2 kit I bought at AP - which one to build first!?
Steve
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

K3 Update - Almost finished!

Post by Atso »

Hi all!

Well the K3 is almost finished, now letter/numbered. Awaiting safety valves and varnishing to complete. However I have started a couple of new projects. The first is re-powering a J69 using a union mills tender drive - I have a working unit, but I'm still experimenting with brass etching and have so far failed to produce a robust enough set of coupling rods...

The second project is a GNR 6 wheel tender - again using a union mills tender drive unit on a Farish V2 tender frame and cut down A3 (GNR) tender top. The result is not a completely scale model, but looks the part when viewed from normal distances. The tender will eventually be paired up with a C1 Atlantic (which I plan to make up from a B12 body).
Attachments
Union mills tender unit showing remains of first attempt at etch coupling rods.
Union mills tender unit showing remains of first attempt at etch coupling rods.
J69.JPG (49.89 KiB) Viewed 4568 times
Loco Stud.JPG
(78.86 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
K3 114 c.JPG
K3 114 c.JPG (51.02 KiB) Viewed 4568 times
K3 114 b.JPG
K3 114 b.JPG (47.88 KiB) Viewed 4570 times
K3 114 a.JPG
K3 114 a.JPG (52.27 KiB) Viewed 4568 times
Steve