My Model Railway - Atkinston

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Michael
NER Y7 0-4-0T

My Model Railway - Atkinston

Post by Michael »

Hi, I'm new here, and am inspired to base my model railway on the fantastic LNER. Shots of my model railway are here http://michaels-railway-photos.fotopic.net/. I am still a British Railways fan, but I am really starting to love the LNER. Flying Scotsman has always been my favourite locomotive, and it has really made me want to have the LNER more represented on my layout. I am deffinitly going to get Hornby's new Mallard, possibly Great Northern and a V2. I will still have BR steam represented, just not as much :) Any suggestions?
124...125...Then we did it, 126 miles per hour!
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Welcome the forums Michael!

The LNER tends to be more famous for the larger engines such as the Pacifics.

With the smaller curves that your layout has, I think the smaller engines might look better. I'm not sure exactly what is available from Hornby for LNER, but some options are the N2 0-6-2T (suburban services out of London, etc); the J83 (A Scottish 0-6-0), and I think Bachmann do a V1/V3 (2-6-2T - branchline and suburban types of work).

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Bullhead »

Hi Michael, and welcome. Your model railway reminds me of my first layout, and I hope it brings you as much pleasure as mine did to me. Now, perhaps 35 years later, I still have the bug!
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?