LNER Silver Jubilee

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

LNER Silver Jubilee

Post by x568wcn »

Forgive my ignorance here, but I know it's called Silver, but when the Silvers became blue, what colour were the coaching stock?
Did it stay silver?

And does anyone know about farish coaches, as the new pullmans have seperate windows = ideal to spray paint them silver after doing the undernaeth streamlining, but the old ones are clear bodies with the windows left clear = Not ideal, and would need stripping.
At what point did the windows come seperate, as I need some cheap coaches, not the very nice Pullmans which here in York, in the most expensive shop in the world (my only walk in supplier of N) they are 14.95 a peice.

That day I had a right go, with 5 Pullmans and an LMS black 5 for the B1 chassis @ 71.95!
By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Farish (old and new) use different construction techniques for different coaches. The Mark 1s with their smooth sides use the clear body method. This works very well for the prototype, although it makes it very difficult to make minor numbering/livery changes!

The separate windows, as used for the generic Grouping coaches (out of production) and the Dapol coaches are better suited to wooden body coaches.

As an aside, I was happy to buy two Mk.1 from the NRM when I was there 18 months ago - the extra goes to support what is probably the best railway museum in the world, and I don't remember paying an entry fee.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

The NRm is hit and miss, they do locos (not cheap), and Lyddle End and the moment, they did do some wagons, and the odd coaches, but these have now gone.
I have bought 5 wagons from the NRM @ 4.95 a piece.

Cheers
By Mark t
www.yorksteam.co.uk
TonyM
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by TonyM »

Hi Mark
If you plan to modify Farish coaches to streamliners you are up for a lot of work. I have been investigating building a rake to run behind my `2509 `Silver Link` All the streamlined sets had triplets and articulated sets all the Farish coaches, both old and new are too long and the window arrangement is all wrong. Real pity, I was most disapointed. Wait for the new Dapol teaks and run pre Streamliners. Expensive but they will close couple.
Tony
Real Trains Run on Steam and have LNER on the tender.
Frazmataz
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Frazmataz »

http://www.user.dccnet.com/d.leech/coronation.html

the page above should give you a good indication on the livery and general look of the Coronation coaches. The pictures of the Observation coach should be particularly useful :)
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

I've tried to make a double as such, but the fineness of the bogies, I couldn't get the 2 holes big enough with out drilling through to the wheels.

On the subject of the colouring which was my first post, I answered my question at the York show both on Gresley Beat, and the O gauge Hassell Harbour Bridge, which both had Blue A4s running the stock with the Black chassis, blue bottom and silver top, the Gresley beat one I got a photo of on the Posting of it.
By Mark t
www.yorksteam.co.uk
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Hi
The livery of the Coronation Coaches is Lower Garter Blue , Upper Marlboutgh Blue not Silver. Underframe is Black

Mick
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

Thought after while looking at my pictures, that it was white, but now a very light blue

As far as I've seen in pictures they didn't all have the observation car?
By Mark t
www.yorksteam.co.uk
smudger
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Michael harris books

Post by smudger »

Are the streamlined trains covered in any of the Michael Harris books?

There's Gresley's Coaches: Coaches Built for GNR, ECJS and LNER 1905-53

and one titled LNER Carriages, although there seems to be 2 different ISBNs for this book and 2 publishers. Are these the same book? I have also read that LNER Carriages is an updated version of the first.

I have the Standard Coaches book but this doesn't cover the streamliners.

TIA

Alan