Rustys workbench - builds and paints

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Rustynuts
LNER J39 0-6-0

Re: Rustys workbench - builds and paints

Post by Rustynuts »

Yep both are Jidenco, the longer wheel based one was built using Steve Banks article as an inspiration. steve has said the slatted one was difficult to build so i had to have a go. :)

How easy is it to get hold of D&S/ABS stuff now?
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I feel I may have contributed to the confusion by the way I worded my first post; I knew Jidenco/Falcon listed a 10T GC fish van but I'd not seen one before. If ABS don't bring back the ex-D & S kit then that one may have to do.

RN - can you point me to the Steve Banks article on the LWB van? I have one put away somewhere.

With regard to D & S kits in 4mm, Dan has done reissues of some of the kits over the last two years. There's a thread on here listing what has been available. I was talking to him at Telford and he is planning to do more. NE 49' low roof coaches were the last thing he did and I have some on the way. There is stock of some of the other items but you'd have to write to see what he has.

ABS is much the same - some items from his enormous list are available. I know he hasn't been in the best of health recently so it's hard to be too critical. He did mention the GN Colwick open and LNE OF fish van as being available as well as his H & B open. Like Dan, it's a case of order by post of telephone.
Rustynuts
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by Rustynuts »

Not sure of the date of the article, I'll ask him next time I drop by his place.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

A list of Steve Banks articles if known would be very helpful. It made my current build of the R&E GCR Horsebox so much easier to do.

I wish D&S and ABS (who used to have one with previous owner) and Wild Swan publications had websites or at least email addresses it would make life so much easier .
I have missed (and I am sure others have) a number of D&S reissues simply because how are you supposed to know what is being released ?? !! . You cant keep phoning and sending sae's on the offchance of something may or may not be issued!!. Surely they are losing business as well !!.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

duplicate post
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Perhaps the off-web businesses are run by those without time, knowledge or enthusiasm for computers, and they may already have as much business as they want or as much as they feel they can manage? We shouldn't get too dependant on the internet - life manged well enough before it appeared and an unforseen event (or meddling nerd) could disable the internet entirely at some time.

I've started a list of Banks articles under a new heading.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Rustynuts
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by Rustynuts »

Back to models, built from Cotswolds kits with detailed underframes.

Last edited by Rustynuts on Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Ah, yes, I have a few of those. Did the body moulding go to Parkside, or is theirs their own master?
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:Perhaps the off-web businesses are run by those without time, knowledge or enthusiasm for computers, and they may already have as much business as they want or as much as they feel they can manage? We shouldn't get too dependant on the internet - life manged well enough before it appeared and an unforseen event (or meddling nerd) could disable the internet entirely at some time.

I've started a list of Banks articles under a new heading.

I agree and understand Graeme.

D&S probably do have enough business? but prior to interenet at least he advertised in MRJ :shock: :D . Rant over :lol: Cheaper for me too :lol:

Nice models.
Rustynuts
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by Rustynuts »

Not sure where the masters went, I have one more to build out of a box of three I picked up ages ago. I have 2 Kirk vans to do as well, one I have done with a 9' wheelbase, the other I'll do as a 10' one.
2512silverfox

Post by 2512silverfox »

RE Cotswold Fish Vans (and any other LNER vehicles with wooden frames) - please note that the solebars and buffer stocks were red oxide and not black. Steel solebars were black as were buffer stocks. Also as a detail note, vac pipe standards were black for live brakes and red for piped stock.

It was interesting that Bachmann got this wrong as well!
Rustynuts
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by Rustynuts »

Ah, wrist slapped, must do better :wink:

Sounds like some rework coming on.
Rustynuts
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by Rustynuts »

So, Managed to get home so her are a couple of non LNER pre grouping interlopers.

Ex HR Railway horsebox built from a Microscale kit.

LNWR Horsebox from a D&S kit

And finally

A Diagram K1: 8/10t cattle wagon from a 51L kit

Last edited by Rustynuts on Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:35 am, edited 5 times in total.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Now that's more like it; you can never have too many, you know.

That HR vehicle is quite characterful. A lot of people don't seem to know that the MicroRail range is still available from David Geen. I might just ask him about one of those the next time I see him.
Rustynuts
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by Rustynuts »

Having made note of the comments, I have redone the solebars of the two Cotswold built Vans.

and

then to finish off how about a BR Std 4 tank, built from a Jaimson kit many years ago by an uncle but left unfinished, so it has now been detailed and a comet chassis fitted with Romford drivers and Gibson pony wheels.

Last edited by Rustynuts on Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:41 am, edited 2 times in total.