NER/LNER snowploughs

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

50A
NBR J36 0-6-0

NER/LNER snowploughs

Post by 50A »

Hi guys.
I am looking for information on the NER and LNER snow ploughs and wondering if anyone can recommend any good sources.
I am especially looking for drawings (pref 7mm), but beggars cannot be choosers, and pictures.
I am aware of the one in the NRM and at NYMR which are close to hand.

Any recommended books or journals would help.

Thanks

Andy
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Hi Andy
If you can locate a copy the only source book currently on the NER ploughs is K Hooles booklet " North Eastern Railway Diagrams of Snow Ploughs" originally published by the Nidd Valley Narrow gauge railways ltd.
This must have been published in the late 60s as the price tag on my copy is 7/6. I found a copy through a book search website.
As for Drawings a range of drawings is available for each type as there are 11 timber and 1 steel bodied versions. Some very similar to others and others drastically different.
I Paid £20 for 2 AO drawings from the NRM as a guide.
If possible I would be interested in any progress you make in finding photos etc as I am trying to obtain photos of all 24 NER ploughs.
Also I am in the process of restoring the plough at the NYMR and access may be possible.
All the best in your quest.
Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Colombo »

Andy,

The two snowploughs at York were usually parked near the roundhouses at the south end of York Station.

I trust you have seen the BBC Archive films of LNER snowploughs in action. If you have not they can be viewed on: http://www.bbc.co.uk/nationonfilm/topics/railways/

You need to scroll down to the bottom of the list.

Colombo
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

I always find it odd, when I'm down the bottom of the station, that there were sheds in the triangle, I got some good action pictures down there last Saturday.

As for the plough in the NRM I don't know where it be at the moment, as it was in the courtyard, which is now taken up by the Yorkshire Circle.
Duke of Gloucestershire on 10/03/2007 @ 22:16 with the Circle

There used to be some sheds over there! (taken from platfroms 7/9 the former 11/14)
By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk
karlrestall
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by karlrestall »

Just makes you wonder how the railways would cope today if we had a heavy snow fall like what is in those films :shock: The whole network would grind to a halt.

Regards

Karl
NYMR Guard
Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Colombo »

Karl,

Few of us remember the winter of 1947, I certainly don't. I think that that was about when the BBC film was made. I have seen a photograph that was taken in Consett in County Durham that winter. It features a lamp lighter bending down to light the street gas light. He is standing on about 8 foot of snow and the window beside him is that of a bedroom in a two storey terrace house. (I put it like that as only in Britain is the first floor upstairs).

Falls of snow like that are not out of the question, it could easily happen again and it probably will. The British network of rural railways were at one time the only way that many villages could be supplied in deep snow. Now most of these have gone so it is difficult to imagine what it would be like next time. A few years ago in a big freeze in our village, we lost the electricity, the water (the pumps did not work) and the telephones. With no power, the gas fired central heating did not work. Fortunately we did not have really deep snow.

We were much better equipped to deal with a really hard winter 50 years ago and the railways were ready to play there part.

Colombo
50A
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 50A »

Many thanks for the replies.

Columbo - thanks for the link to the bbc archives - puts a whole new perspective on the snow issue. I wonder if that was the "right sort of snow"???

Bryan - thanks, I will look out for that book at shows etc. I think I might have to be a bit more specific in which version to model. I will take a trip to the NYMR to see if I can get some good photos of their plough. Once I know more, I will approach the NRM for a drawing.

Andy
twa_dogs
NBR J36 0-6-0

NRM plough - missing?

Post by twa_dogs »

x568wcn wrote:I always find it odd, when I'm down the bottom of the station, that there were sheds in the triangle, I got some good action pictures down there last Saturday.

As for the plough in the NRM I don't know where it be at the moment, as it was in the courtyard, which is now taken up by the Yorkshire Circle.
Would that be the NER plough at "Locomotion" at Shildon?
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Three NER ploughs survive at present.
No 12 at the NRM Shildon.
No 18 at the NYMR
No 20 at Beamish in the reserve store not normally on view.

18 + 20 are to the same design and were frequently paired together normally in the Darlington / Shildon area.
Withdrawn from Gateshead in 1975 No 18 was then sold and delivered by rail to Grosmont.
18 is the timber plough actually filmed in the BTF film " Snow Drift at Bleath Gill" the other plough was an unidentified steel bodied version.
The rescued engine 78018 is at Darlington undergoing restoration
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Re: NRM plough - missing?

Post by x568wcn »

twa_dogs wrote:
Would that be the NER plough at "Locomotion" at Shildon?
That'll be it, the brakedown truck is hiding out the back of the station hall now, abite out of sight!
By Mark t
www.yorksteam.co.uk
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

On the subject of the sheds in the York Triangle, I'm planning on doing a website on the York Sheds (when I've managed to start my A4 one)
But looking from the air, it's amazing what you can see!
http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2& ... ne=7610584
By Mark t
www.yorksteam.co.uk