LNER wish lists

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Tom Quayle
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

LNER wish lists

Post by Tom Quayle »

The area of the LNER has seen some improvment as of late but only with reruns (Hornby A4 and Greleys)
What LNER locos would you like to see RTR I have a few ideas but im bias in being interested mainly in heavy freight
Heres my top 5
Robinsons O4
Thompson L1
A5
Q6 0-8-0
O1/03 2-8-0
K1 2-6-0
What do you think
In the sometimes neglected world of carriage and wagon in most wish lists I have seen.
3 part Gresley Kitchen/Restaurant set
LNER pigeon vans
Does anyone else have any ideas on this front I would like to the views of the forum to Bachmann and Hornby and see if we get any results (not Likely :evil:)
jdtoronto
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by jdtoronto »

No probably not too likely!

But any of the above in N gauge would be most welcome, we have precious little as it is and anything would be a vast improvement.

John
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

jdtoronto and myself are N modellers!

I know Colombo has 4mm stuff - have you seen the pictures he has posted in the forums here?

An ROD would make so much sense in both N and OO. All four of the Grouping companies ran them. They were also operated by the GCR
(any other pre-Grouping Cos?), WD and BR. There are a number of variations - eg. the O4, O5, Thompson (O1) rebuilds, Gresley rebuilds, etc.

Some of us thought the much rumoured new Peco N loco would be an ROD because of all the companies that operated them. Alas, they chose a GWR Collet 0-6-0!

Foxhunter produce a kit of the ROD in N. I hear it is a good one.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Colombo »

I am in almost absolute agreement, But I would like to see a B16 and an O2 in there somewhere.

I hope that they don't bring out an A5 however: I have built a Craftsman one. This is an excellent brass kit for anyone who wants to try one for the first time.

Colombo
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Anything NER - Preferably either Q6, G5, or J21/24/25/27
50A
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 50A »

Hi all.
British modelling magazine "Modelrail" held a poll of it's readers to see what they would like to see produced in r-t-r. The GCR/LNER/BR '04' came second in the poll.

We shall have to see how the likes of Bachmann and Hornby respond. In a previous year the WD 2-8-0 came out top, which resulted in the Bachmann model being produced.

Andy
Colombo

Post by Colombo »

There is certainly a need for a Kitchen car. I am running trains of Gresleys, Mk1s, Thompsons and so on. I have a miniature buffet and dining cars but no Kitchen cars.

I am not sure that the triplet set would sell well. Don't forget that most modellers run only short trains and it would look silly in a set of 5 or 6 carriages. You need at least 7 or 8 carriages to do it justice.

Both Ian Kirk and probably Comet do a Triplet set.

Louis
Bullhead

Re: LNER wish lists

Post by Bullhead »

Tom Quayle wrote: Heres my top 5
Robinsons O4
Thompson L1
A5
Q6 0-8-0
O1/03 2-8-0
K1 2-6-0
What do you think?
I think that's 6. :wink:

My suggestions, posted repeatedly on the http://www.bachmann.co.uk/ wish list facility: a K1; a BR standard 2MT 2-6-0; flush-glazed Thompson coaching stock (corridor and non-corridor); some decent 20T steel-sided mineral hoppers with handrail detail, brake variations, etc.

In the realm of total fantasy, some ex-NER prototypes would be welcome: I'd certainly find space for any D20, G5, J21, J27, or Q6 which came along. Likewise a handful of ex-NBR machines: a J36, Glen, or Scott. But I can't really imagine that there'd be a strong commercial case for producing any of these, given the relatively low sales figures which would be likely.

Who knows - when Bachmann announce their 2006 releases on Wednesday 25th January, perhaps it'll be an LNER-fest. I'm not holding my breath, though.
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?