Need help on Locomotive ID

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

fruitcop
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Need help on Locomotive ID

Post by fruitcop »

Hi,
I need some help please. I usually collect o scale American brass engines and am at a total loss over this one. I think it is a Leeds toy train. It looks to my uninformed eye to be an n class. Could anyone help me with better ID as to which N class it is, if indeed it is one. also the colour it should display. The train looks as if it is a good base to build an nice display with if some detail is added.

Many thanks
Robert
Attachments
IMG_1442.JPG
(256.45 KiB) Downloaded 138 times
IMG_1442.JPG
(256.45 KiB) Downloaded 111 times
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Bullhead »

I think it's an ex-Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire (a.k.a. Great Central) 9F, or LNER N5, class. This type of locomotive was introduced in 1891 and received the BR power classification 2MT, so I suppose that the BR mixed traffic livery your model carries is probably correct as a representation of her final years (although the number spacing looks a bit excessive, and the square corners to the lining should be radiused). The engine in question, 69356, appears to have been withdrawn in the mid-1950s.

See http://www.lner.info/locos/N/n5.shtml for a history of the class. I learned with interest that the N5 was the first British type to have a Belpaire firebox.
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
Colombo

Post by Colombo »

Robert,

I agree with Bullhead that the loco is an N5/2. The Leeds Model Co. was a supplier of hand built model locos. Perhaps this is an O gauge example.

It is quite collectable and looks in very good condition,

Colombo
fruitcop
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Thanks for the information.

Post by fruitcop »

I want to thank both of you for your help in this matter. It's a bit hard to find local experts here.

Again Thanks
Robert
Colombo

Post by Colombo »

Robert,

If you have a look at this web site, you will find the self same loco in LNER green as number 9356, on offer for £210.

http://www.antiques.dk.com/cat.php/Toys ... omotives/1

On the nationalisation of British Railways in 1948, LNER loco numbers were increased by 60000. I think that your loco may be a repaint job. It just may be green underneath the black.

Colombo
fruitcop
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Thanks

Post by fruitcop »

Thank you Colombo,

I was a bit unhappy with the paint job anyway and know that I can do much better. I wanted LNER markings and this photo will give me a better idea of the finish.

Robert
Colombo

Post by Colombo »

Robert,

I think that the LNER green livery of no.9356 may be a fiction. This is because the LNER no. carried is post 1946, when it would normally have appeared in unlined black. However I should add that it is just possible that 9356 was selected for a green repaint and kept as a passenger pilot. Under BR days this could have become lined black mixed traffic livery. Perhaps someone else could please confirm.

In GCR days, prior to 1923, the normal livery for an N5 was unlined black . After the Grouping it would have been repainted in LNER livery, black with fine red lining. However after 1928, the red lining was dropped. In BR days the normal livery would also have been unlined black.

I have attached a photo of two 4mm scale models of GCR tank locos. The C14 is in GCR passenger livery.

Colombo
Attachments
Two GC tanks edited.JPG
Two GCR tanks belonging to Arnie Buxton.
(107.02 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
fruitcop
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Hello Colombo

Post by fruitcop »

Thanks for the link and the photos. I did learn alot. ( I also got a very fair price even on a re-finshed one). I guess the engine is doomed to a basic black finish, as my collection of US Great Northern engines is centered in the 1930's. By the way, I have been taking it apart to strip it for refinishing, and I DID find evidence of a prior green finish. I might add that it was superor to the current livery. If I ever get it completed, I'll post a photo.

All the best
Robert