Butler Henderson Premiere

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Butler Henderson Premiere

Post by Tom F »

Looks lovely Graeme with your other GCR locomotives.

Am I right the words 'GREAT CENTRAL' are oversized as are the ones on the preserved loco. Will you depicting her GCR period?
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I haven't tried fitting the guard irons yet. I suspect the lettering is of the "as preserved and too large" variety. It's certainly not in quite the style and colours that I would expect for true, period, GC script - not a bit like the Guilplates GC transfers on that silly Baldwin I built, but they may not be correct either!

It does look nice with the Barnums though, I agree.

So maybe it was imageshack that wasn't working properly earlier, since my first attempt at posting an image today has now resulted in an image appearing on the forum rather than nothing at all - albeit that it's not the image I intended!
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
M Gair
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by M Gair »

Hi Atlantic,

Looks nice. Also like the LNER D10 Prince Henry too. I am hoping the D10 is announced next year as a progression of the D11. In particular 5433/62654 Walter Burgh Gair, I have put in my request with Bachmann and will wait and see.
As an overseas buyer/modeller of UK, I received an email saying mine will be processed in 2 weeks time. Looking forward to it.

Mark In OZ
Stirling Single
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by Stirling Single »

Just wandering could re-jig the 8K to become an S1 as they have very close dimensions. A future project...
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good mornin' all (correct spelling)
The Director looks GREAT!!! in GCR livery especially alongside the Sir Sam Fay. Robinson certainly produced some good looking locos.
I remember reading that somebody repainted some Triang clerestory coaches in brown and grey and people were convinced they were scratchbuilt originals.
It would be a quick solution to producing pre-grouping trains.
Earlswwod Nob
(Dreaming of watching GCR trains slogging up to Woodhead tunnel. I wish I'd seen it in the flesh. All we had here in Surrey was Gomshall bank where occasionally freights would fail)
bw1165
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by bw1165 »

earlswood nob wrote:Good mornin' all (correct spelling)

I remember reading that somebody repainted some Triang clerestory coaches in brown and grey and people were convinced they were scratchbuilt originals.
)
Rev Peter Denny did this many years ago - I think middle 1960s - and an article appeared in the Railway Modeller. There was a bit more to it than just a repaint.

I did something along the same lines myself, and my dad, who was old enough to remember GC stock, was more impressed with them than he was by my real GC coaches!
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

My clerestories and "Marylebone" suburban stock are nothing more than the Triang product with minor alterations to side details (door handles etc and one or two altered panels in some cases), new roofs, new underframe fittings, disguised BR Mk1 bogies, and a new layout of beading on the ends (including windows cut into the brake end).
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Some interesting statistics I've just established for Butler-Henderson:

1. Gearing allows a top scale speed, light engine, of some 130mph!

2. I know that it has been pointed out that it looks "a bit wide" but that cast lump of "frame profile" above the bogie is actually 17mm wide before you even think about adding the cosmetic extensions. There's no outright need for the width because the side-play for the bogie is created by a short transverse slot in the bogie, not by a long transverse slot in the main chassis. Had the "lump" been narrower, it would still have been easy enough for EM/S4 converters to add spacers to its sides. As it is, OO gauge modellers, for whom the loco is meant "as supplied", have to settle for either massive bogie wheel clearances, or shrouded bogie wheels, or a tedious and risky session of grinding away some of the casting befoe adding the frame faces.

On both counts, WHY!?!? Would it really have been THAT difficult to do it more realistically?

Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Just as well I didn't buy it, then!
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

None of that matters to me. I'm over the moon with the fact that I will have a stunning model of one of my favourite locos. I'll finally be able to do my dream line up of 506, 60009, 60532 and 60800
36C - Based out of 50H and 36F
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

With a GCR version, a green BR one and three black BR ones available, I rang Bachmann to ask about a D11 in LNER livery. All they would say was "Wait until the 2013 catalogue comes out in March and see if one's in there."

Thanks Bachmann.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all
It's a lovely looker, but why are models built to go so fast??
When I first had a train set (nearly 60 years ago) me and a friend would lay ovals on the floor and race our locos, but we soon grew out of that.
I would think today's boy racers would be using HST's etc for the same thrill.
In my opinion, nobody would seek out a preserved loco as a speed merchant.
The motor in Butler-Henderson will have to be very flexible is it is able to back onto a rake of coaches at a realistic speed.
I get a bigger buzz out of locos going slow these days.
My Bachmann O4 arrived yesterday, and is untested. I hope that doesn't whizz along the track.
Can you imagine an O4 pulling a train up Worsboro' at 50mph with the Garratt struggling to keep up?
Earlswood Nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

The 04 is geared nice and low - my lowest infact.

Kestrel wrote:With a GCR version, a green BR one and three black BR ones available, I rang Bachmann to ask about a D11 in LNER livery. All they would say was "Wait until the 2013 catalogue comes out in March and see if one's in there."

Thanks Bachmann.
It's more than you get out of Hornby.
36C - Based out of 50H and 36F
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

I agree the O4 is superb at all speeds
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I wouldn't say the D11 was poor at low sppeds, but fine control would obviously be that much better if it were geared to run only at a realistic speed when the "juice" is at full power.