Re powering an old Farish Holden tank

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re powering an old Farish Holden tank

Post by Atso »

Hi guys,

I currently have three farish holden tanks in my collection, the only problem is that only one of them works! Has anyone ever tried to repower one using a new chassis?

The second thing is, how do I quarter n gauge wheels? Has anyone ever tried this or any advice from those modeling 4/7mm scale?

Many thanks in advance
Steve
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I think I've heard of the Minitrix Dock Tank Engine chassis being used. Of course that is out of production as well - unless it is still being used for a continental prototype?

I am very busy at the moment with evening class stuff, but this was on my list of things to research over the summer.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Hi all!

Looking through my spares draw revealed a union mills drive unit which, when turned backwards has almost the correct wheelbase for the J69! I've swapped the wheels for something a little more correct and after some filing for clearance and rigging up some pickups for the insulated side I've got a running chassis! Just need some coupling rods and to take some metal out of the body and I've got a running loco again!
Steve
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

How did you rig the second set of pickups?

You will loose some adhesion when you remove the tyres, but this shouldn't be a problem - the new engine will never haul what the Union Mills engines are usually capable of.

When you're at the NRM, look out for the J69. It was in a corner getting very little attention when I was there, but one of the highlights for me :-)
Definitely a case of getting more out of the exhibits because I knew more about them beforehand.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Richard,

The second set of pickups were rigged using a piece of copper clad circuit board. This replaces the metal keeper plate and has the pickups soldered to it. The wire from the motor is passed down through the hole used to screw the tender drawbar to the loco and also soldered to the board.

Due to interference with the large driving wheels the motor only makes contact with the gears at the front of the loco but I don't see that being a problems once the coupling rods are in place.

Your right about the adhesion (really noticable at the moment with the chassis being driven by one set of wheels!) but as you said who ever saw a J69 hauling 50+ wagons!?

Thanks for the reminder about the J69 at the NRM I will check this out next weekend! :)
Steve
Andrew Craig-Bennett
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Andrew Craig-Bennett »

What the J69s reputedly could do was accelerate 300 tons from 0 to 20 mph in 30 seconds, starting with the regulator wide open - hence "buckjumpers" - but you know that!

It was a Stratford tradition to make all their locomotives' running gear immensely strong - one can see why!
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

...and at the same time, during their 'Jazz' days at least, there's a good argument for them being amongst the most reliable steam engines ever built.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia