Heljan Gresley O2 2-8-0 'Tango'

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Heljan Gresley O2 2-8-0 'Tango'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

A set of 'etched' rods/valve gear might also help, in the long run.............if a set were available !!!

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
pete2hogs
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by pete2hogs »

Hatfield Shed wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:46 am Mechanically: if you get a good one, then my experience over what must be 30 months now of very regular operation is that they run reliably. (If it arrives a poor runner, then return to dealer pronto!) Be very careful around the side rods which are easily bent, which are at greater risk of then fouling on small rad. curves.

Very positively the weight is good for an 8F, superior to all other RTR 2-8-0s for traction as a result, needs no extra ballast to take away sixty odd wagons around the tightest curves and sensible gradients. Downside in my opinion is that the mechanism construction is not DIY service/repair friendly. However we will cross that bridge when we come to it.
I was brought up on Triang and Hornby Dublo and I have learnt to my cost to handle modern 'super detail' products with great care, having gone through a phase when I broke something off nearly every one within days of getting it out the box - indeed, sometimes in actually getting it out the box. I should also point out that I'm totally tasteless - I still run my H-D A4 alongside the Trix and Bachmann ones - why? Because it is still going and refuses to die, and I suspect it will STILL be going in say 25 years time when all the current production has fallen to bits.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

I have today, finally bitten the bullet and ordered a O2 for the princely sum of 70 BP, with another 8 BP in postage to Oz, I bought the early British Railways version, written in full on the tender, an O2/3, I would have preferred, the GN version, but whether this version will ever see the light of day, is another matter, so a O2/3 will have to do, I'm hoping this can be backdated to the GN cab with a GN tender O2/2. Has anybody done this, or am I the first idiot to try it.............. :D

manna
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I can reveal that this idiot has backdated an O2/3 to O2/1 in all respects bar the height of the running plate over the coupled wheels.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Thank you Graeme, I had a 'feeling' someone had done it, but for the life of me, couldn't remember who, I can live with the runningplate a fraction high.

manna

PS, Can anyone tell me if the cab is a separate fitting, or will I need to 'Cut' it off...........
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

Hi Manna
The cab in indeed a separate fitting.

To pull it all apart you end up taking the motor out as it fits between the top and bottom parts of fhe boiler but you shouldn't need to do that to change the cab.
I did that because I needed to refit the valve gear brackets and also to modify the valve gear to correct an inaccuracy. It was a b....r to get the motor back in snug!

Heljan have actually made some of the parts for an O2/1 version, including the cab but this has a flatter cab roof than that fitted to the LNER built O2/2s.

A whole range of spare parts were available from Howes, including many of the parts for a GN version and I got a full set but want to keep the GN cab fof a future project.

If you make a GN cab you will need to set that a bit further back than where the side window cab is fitted as that is not as deep.

Andrew
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Hi Andrew.

Good news on the cab being removable, at least I won't have to get the razor saw out. :D

manna
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

The Heljan spare cab that I saw with wrap-overGN style roof was actually the post-grouping version with the more rounded roof profile (lower eaves) and larger spectacles, i.e, the O2/2 version. They've made all or nearly of the plastic cosmetic parts for the GN tender too....
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

Graeme you are correct, my mistske the cab is the LNER version for the O2/2.

Andrew
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Had a look under Heljan spares at Howes Models, all they had was a few motors for there Diesels, nothing at all for there steam engine range.

manna
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

manna wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:17 pm G'Day Gents

Had a look under Heljan spares at Howes Models, all they had was a few motors for there Diesels, nothing at all for there steam engine range.

manna
They must have sold out.

I notice there's a bloke on eBay who is selling bits from the Heljan spares sprues (mostly diesels) for about six times what they're actually worth.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Just a thought gents. How close to the original O2 prototype is the Heljan one? GN cab, differently arranged valve gear and cylinders, curved S to the front footplate...would make an interesting kit bash.

davidwest
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by davidwest »

Quite a bit. I think the picture is aan o2/2.
Im waiting for Heljan to get on with it. Apparently they are as all the tooing is complete
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

So I just wanted to give a shout out to Mike of Howes Models. I was forwarded his details by Heljan after enquiring about getting some replacement valve gear.

He offered a couple of warranty returned locos at £40 each for spares and I received them the day after ordering. Top notch service.

However I am now left with a dilemma. I have ended up with three virtually complete O2 models - the two warranty returned models have minimal damage to components like handrails (which I intended to replace all round anyway).

So I have come to the conclusion I should try and fix the valve gear of the original by finding some form of replacement etched valve gear (any thoughts gents? and modify all three for my own needs.

I may need a couple of GNR cabs, on that note! :idea:

I still maintain that the O2 was a real mixed bag from Heljan. But, since they are now going to get a lot of modifications to suit my purposes, worth it in the end I think.