Heljan Gresley O2 2-8-0 'Tango'

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Heljan Gresley O2 2-8-0 'Tango'

Post by mick b »

The only "problem" with my O2 on reciept that was "not as built" was the valve gear failure,it was a very cheap purchase, otherwise it would have gone back.
Everything else described on the O2 is down to poor design (including the dire valve gear) and build quality . Heljan for the design and the build quality at the Chinese factory, wherever they were made. As mentioned by Brush Falcon , Heljan have said , that the now well known design problems are hopefully being eradicated on the next issue, time will tell.

Pulling power is not a concern for me as my layout isnt big enough for that problem, however r.t.r in 99% of designs are designed primally for tight curves and pulling power I doubt very much is hardly ever considered in their design.
I agree re the minor design problems on the O4. Luckily for me my two Q6's have never had motor problems, so far. They all pull 20 + wagons without issue.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

If anybody is interested, Howes, model shop, has in stock some of the Heljan spare parts to make your O2/3 or O2/4, into the earlier version, including the GN tender parts, smokebox, running plate and small parts, the only bits out of stock is the GN & Lner windowed cabs. Hope this is helpful.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Sorry to resurrect the thread after so long...!

I have recently rediscovered the third of my Heljan O2s, still missing valve gear bits. It appears in the end that I used what remained of its valve gear to fix one of the others. I have tested the motor and it runs perfectly well, just doesn't have complete valve gear (missing one screw on the LHS and the eccentric crank, and the same again the other side.

Spare parts for these appear to be completely undiscoverable. I see now that Gaugemaster is the main spares outlet and they have none of the bits I need in order to fix the valve gear.

It seems a shame to box the chassis again and not try and fix it. Are there any alternatives? Does anyone do etched valve gear for the Gresley O2 in OO scale that could be made up to fit the Heljan chassis?
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Application of enough care, ingenuity, patience, and persistence ought to allow you to make (or adapt) substitutes for just the missing parts, as an alternative to trying to graft on valve gear from another maker. I'd start by at least having a look at that possibility, as I hate spending money and do to some extent enjoy faffing around producing novel solutions to problems.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Sold my one on, never liked it . Everytime I looked at it I was expecting something to fall off !!.

Perhaps a current superdetail Hornby A3/4 Valvegear or a old if you can find one Jamieson etched valve gear set maybe of use for parts.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

mick b wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:23 pm Sold my one on, never liked it . Everytime I looked at it I was expecting something to fall off !!.

Perhaps a current superdetail Hornby A3/4 Valvegear or a old if you can find one Jamieson etched valve gear set maybe of use for parts.
That's a shame Mick, I really liked what you did with yours, though I do agree with you that Heljan dropped the ball on the original release. Both of my surviving O2s I replaced virtually all of the handrails and handrail knobs on tender and cab, replaced the chimneys, snipped off the poor buffers on the loco and replaced with white-metal alternatives, amongst other changes. Have to say, when you place them alongside the various other 2-8-0s from their competitors you sort of wish they hadn't bothered and had left it to one of the others.

I am mulling over a potential bodge using some spares as you suggested Graeme. I will see what I can do...
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

S.A.C. Martin wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:25 pm
mick b wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:23 pm Sold my one on, never liked it . Everytime I looked at it I was expecting something to fall off !!.
... I do agree with you that Heljan dropped the ball on the original release.... when you place them alongside the various other 2-8-0s from their competitors you sort of wish they hadn't bothered and had left it to one of the others...
Perhaps I have just been lucky, my O2/3 and subsequent 'half price' O2/4 have proved solidly reliable performers with excellent traction. (They are not handled, my stock goes on the rails and stays there other than a bi-annual service, so no 'parts fall off' problem: handling is and always has been the enemy of small detail.)

However, I also remain dubious about many of the constructional features, both bodywork and mechanism; but there it is, if I want a RTR OO O2 - and I do - this is the available product. The more egregious deviations from prototype appearance have been variously dealt with, often based on good ideas from contributors here. And regarding appearance, there is a positive: the much finer than usual flanges are a very good feature.

Now, regarding the high grade bendymetal from which the rods and gear are made, and anticipating a probable failure 'some day'; when the O2 was a new purchase I had a look around the other RTR OO Doncaster designs. Conclusion: Bachmann K3 or V1/V3 could probably be used to supply the gear; but have never yet had cause to test the validity of this idea.

Come to which I have never tested whether the bendymetal from which the rods are made takes solder of any sort? Anyone with experience please feel free to post what you know...
davidwest
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by davidwest »

I've personally been happy with my O2s.

I don't know if anyone else has come across Niu models but he's shortly going to offer different cab and tender derivatives for the O2.

I appreciate that Heljan do spares etc. But complimented with Niu models other derivatives could be available.

http://niumodels.co.uk/

Worth a look some interesting option on the O2 and other locos many with an ECML flavour.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

If the Niu Models item really is just a tender "body" to fit the existing frames of the previously offered LNER/BR versions, it will be too long and the frame features won't be right, probably a larger error than is the result of fitting a GN cab, chimney and other minor details (as I did several years ago) but doing nothing to lower the running plate 1mm over the coupled wheels.
Kits (or less formally organised sets of parts) are available in either etched metal or not-difficult-to-assemble ridge-free cast resin for the whole GN tender at the correct length, with suitable frame profile and details. They don't specifically cater for retention of the electrical complications in the tender, but if you are not enslaved to expensive DCC those can be eliminated by simply bridging two pairs of contacts at the loco drawbar, OR, you could go to the trouble of emulating the same DCC provisions inside the new correct tender.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
davidwest
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by davidwest »

Thanks Graeme,

I thought the tender was wrong and forgotten about the running plate.

Oh well....
ROY@34F
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by ROY@34F »

Thanks for all that info Graeme . I was'nt sure of the tender details , though of course I remember the old GN tenders and the LNER group standard ones . but was well aware of the 3" ( 1 mm. ) lower running plate over the driving wheels , which ,as you know , was because of the short travel & long travel valves , and the consequent height of the radius link/expansion link . I well remember fireing on these engines from Grantham , and the footplate height difference was very apparent when sticking your head out the cab side .

Regards , Roy.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Morning all,

I have looked at what I can do with the damaged O2, and I think I have the bare bones of a plan to turn it into something workable.

However, I would really like to get a flush sided tender body for it.

Here's what mine was - Image (image courtesy of Kernow) - is there anyone out there who would like to swap their flush sided tender top for the stepped tender top seen here?

As far as I am concerned, the condition of the tender I need isn't a big deal. The tender I have has minor handrail issues on the rear (though my opinion is that anyone using it for modelling purposes should really replace all of the tender handrail knobs).

So the offer stands - I am looking for a flush sided tender and am willing to swap the above stepped one in exchange. Any interest, message here or by PM please. :)
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

mick b wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:36 pm....poor design (including the dire valve gear) and build quality . Heljan for the design and the build quality at the Chinese factory, wherever they were made....
Heljan have form for this type of thing - see also the LMS Beyer-Garratt and the more recent GWR 47xx. It's probably cheaper to build an engine out of some of the spares that are occasionally available via Gaugemaster, and then use other bits from other sources to finish it off.

Funny thing is that their diesel outline models seem to have been fairly reliable, with the exception of the Class 17 Clayton.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Heljan have just annouced the ex NER ES1 Electric Loco .

Bizarre choice only two Locos ever made , spent their whole life virtually hidden pulling trains in tunnels on a single line. If anything like the cock up they made of the Ex NER Autocar in LNER Condition, what will will fall off , doesnt work or be missing from those as well ??.

I wont be buying Heljan again personally especially as these are £220 a time .
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

The NRM would have stimulated the ES1 as one is in The National Collection.

Andrew