Heljan Gresley O2 2-8-0 'Tango'

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Heljan Gresley O2 2-8-0 'Tango'

Post by Atso »

Can we have one in N gauge please???
Steve
M Gair
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by M Gair »

This is good news. another LNER workhorse. I have not ordered the Hornby 01 even though it looks good, so will definitely save my pennys for this one though.

Mark in OZ
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by 45568 »

Of course, the U1 Garratt was only two O2s back-to-back!
Just a thought?
Peter C.
60129 GUY MANNERING
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by 60129 GUY MANNERING »

Atso wrote:Can we have one in N gauge please???

No, No,No cos we want one in "O" gauge first :D :D

A great big well done to "Brush Falcon" for everything he has done to make this happen.

Regards,Derek.
Dick Turpin
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by Dick Turpin »

Fantastic news!

That's much more like it. Sorry Hornby, no Thompo O1 for me either, nice though they appear to be and all (and tempting). It's just that I'm firmly pre-war with my LNER interests. I'll be having at least two. Just think, lovely Great Northern cabs and tenders (rubs hands in anticipation).

Thanks to Heljan, and thanks to all concerned with this forum for being on the button.
Last edited by Dick Turpin on Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jim Raven
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

The original post makes reference to "both cabs". No doubt the invited experts will be aware of the fact that there are THREE cabs:

1. GNR cab to GN loading gauge on GN built locos, with high "eaves".

2. GNR style cab to LNER loading gauge on first series of LNER built locos, more rounded roof with lower eaves.

3. LNER cab with side windows.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

It's a shame in some respects that people are so quick to write off the Thompson O1 with this piece of news (though I understand completely about era-specific portrayals). From the looks of the Hornby O1, they've given us an excellent model with scope for further detailing. Advantages of modelling post-war I suppose is that I can justify both models (now how to justify the cost of both models...!)

I notice that mention is made of "high and low running plates" - is this indicative of modelling the prototype O2 (with the front S curve running plate) or is there another variation on the O2's running plate I've missed? (I would snap Heljan's hands off for a model of no.3461 - I've collated around a dozen photographs of this engine running though the Ganwick section at Hadley Wood). Understandably the many differences between the prototype no.3461 and the rest of the O2s may preclude it from being modelled at all by Heljan, but if it is the case that it may be modelled, I'd be absolutely delighted.

All said mind, if we have an O2 model at all, then some degree of modelling would produce a model of no.3461 anyway! :)

The choice of tenders looks to be supreme - with some careful swapping around, the GNR tenders could go behind Bachmann K3s or other suitable motive power (providing of course, not too much rebuilding of connections between loco and tender are required). This really could be the tipping point as by providing the four different types of tender off the bat, Heljan could use the same toolings for a variety of other ex-LNER locomotive models. Great forward thinking here?

In all, the more I look at this choice the more I know it's an absolute winner. Handsome Gresley looks, used in great numbers over the Great Eastern, Eastern and North Eastern regions, and a plethora of liveries of RCTS 6B is anything to go by. One particular O2 even had the post-war LNER totem on the tender!

In all, an exciting announcement which excites me more and more, as I study the class further.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

Was 3461 the only 02 with the small inclined cylinders?

If so, I really hope it's considered - its the one I'd buy, hands down

I've just found out that Frodingham had an allocation of 02's :D
36C - Based out of 50H and 36F
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Blackout60800 wrote:Was 3461 the only 02 with the small inclined cylinders?
Yes she was. Very handsome prototype too. Withdrawn 1948 so I can just about justify a model of her in fairly decrepit condition! I'm struggling to find any evidence of one of the standard O2s with a different form of the running plate, so I'm wondering if 3461 is in fact on the cards...
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

3461 should be justifiable as a variant as she'd sell to almost anyone on looks alone. The profile of the running plate and those inclined cylinders are just perfect in my opinion.

I'm still disappointed that Hornby haven't done Great Northern in original GNR livery, because I'd snap one up as soon as it hits the shelves
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Blackout60800 wrote:I'm still disappointed that Hornby haven't done Great Northern in original GNR livery, because I'd snap one up as soon as it hits the shelves
It's an interesting one that; I can only think it's a case of the cost of printing the livery onto the basic GN spec A1 model isn't covered by the people who'd buy one; or perhaps that GNR livery is considered too intricate to put onto a model like that.

Although to be fair, having seen Bachmann's C Class in its SECR livery, I'm certain a 4470 model in GNR livery would do quite well. But at what total RRP? Bear in mind new Hornby A3s and A4s are approaching the £130/140 mark.
D2100
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by D2100 »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:...The matter seems still to be under wraps elewhere.
Together with an unnecessary (IMHO) snipe at the manufacturer - if the OP here is who I think he is, I'm sure any embargo-type considerations have been given due diligence.

Nice to see the Hunslet shunter announced too - used in ER/NER areas I believe - and that the original BRCW class 26 has at last broken cover 8)
Ian Fleming

Now active on Facebook at 'The Clearing House'
auldreekie
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by auldreekie »

Wrong end of the LNER system for me, ideally. Nonetheless, I shall in due course have at least one for the sake of the splendid original. Three (subject, of course, to financial considerations) if Heljan make the chassis so that two of them can be the basis of a semi-scratchbuilt U1. With their experience of modelling the LMS Garratts, they ought to be thoroughly on top of the required geometry..... Fabricating the U1 would REALLY get the juices going.

auldreekie
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

High and low running plates:

The GN locos and early LNER ones had the then standard short-travel valve gear. The running plate just cleared the top of the expansion link and its top face was about 3 inches below the lowest point of the boiler cladding. Later LNER-built locos had the improved efficiency long-travel valve gear, necessitating a longer expansion link, and in turn a higher pitched running plate approximately level with the bottom of the boiler cladding.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

Don't dash our hopes Graeme. Besides, if Heljan don't do 3461 it seems a few of us will be coming to you for an RTR bash of one :wink:

Although logically they will, what with Kestrel, Lion and DP2 being produced in the past