Heljan Gresley O2 2-8-0 'Tango'

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Heljan Gresley O2 2-8-0 'Tango'

Post by mick b »

My O2 is now painted, other than the Boiler which is awaiting a B1 Chimney casting to arrive.

Footplate and Loco castings reassembled. Top casting has a 1mm gap at the motor end ,I am not surprised, as only held on at the other end by one screw. For those who have rebuilt theirs, can they confirm, have yours the same gap? I don't want to put the Boiler back onto the Footplate to find it won't fit and then break even more bits off trying to take it off again !!.

thanks for any info.
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

Sorry Mick I can't remember and obviously I'm loathe to pull mine apart again at this point in time!

Andrew
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

I quite agree !!!
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I might get my loco out again over the weekend to replace the expansion links and take the hockey-stick ends off the associated rods. If so, I'll have the boiler off and have a look if there's that sort of gap between the chassis block castings. A point that springs immediately to mind is the matter of those rubber rings around the motor. Have yours gone back fully into their slots Mick, or are they trapped between the motor and the flat parts of the castings, pushing them apart?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Graeme
As far as I can tell they are in the correct position. All part of the "weird" design of this "loco" !! I will try another attempt and see if it makes any difference! I tried a goggle search without success for a photo of a assembled chassis.

Heljan

I had reply yesterday, no spare valve gear. They have sent a phone number for someone who might be able to get bits from damaged Locos , I will wait and see how mine runs once finished, before making a phone call.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

I've decided to replace my valve gear altogether, having dismantled it successfully and discovered almost everything has slop and damage. With what, I am investigating a few sources. All let you know how I get on. Bit gutted really, it feels like my "bargain" is fast becoming a white elephant.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

A "brave" decision Simon.

Mick: form you own opinion from this. My cab and boiler still fit despite this gap:
STA70904.JPG
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Graeme

Excellent I filed a bit of debris off the flat side and got it down ever closer than in you photo. If it fits yours then good enough !! Thanks.

I agree re the valve gear, only touch it if you have too!!
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Amazing, its up and running !!. it is the worse r.t.r for actual overall quality including design etc etc, I have owned for a number of years. Chimney replace with a Gibson one , repaint numbering and weathered. I'm just glad it's done. Loco Number chosen because Yeadon mentions he saw her at Hull Sheds, near enough to the North east to justify me owning one.

fullsizeoutput_ddb.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_ddc.jpeg
IMG_5545.JPG
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

"Brave" - read potentially stupid...

However...I am pleased to say I have managed to fixed mine with some bits out of the spares box, so full on replacement looks unnecessary for now. The valve gear isn't well designed I have to say.

Mick, you've done a great job with yours and I hope to emulate that finish with mine. I decided the sprung plastic buffers look awful though, and have replaced them with better looking (unsprung) white metal ones from Lanarkshire Models.

So far I have managed to replace all of the handrails on the loco. The tender is the next priority. It'll get a spray of grey primer, then black, then weathering.
Sniffer
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by Sniffer »

Whatever happened to the early versions with GNR style cab and tender ?
As a period piece it was far more interesting than later variants, looking from a RTR viewpoint.

Just my opinion BTW.
Re-open the Leeds Northern northwards !
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Still listed. Heljan have in the past taken years between the version of a loco they launched with, and distinct variants.

I felt likewise, the GNR design made the more interesting model for a RTR production, as there is a distinct shortage in the representation of the GNR.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Here Here :D

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
pete2hogs
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by pete2hogs »

Just want to say - bought the early emblem 02/4 with some trepidation given the adverse comments. But it is happily running on my layout which includes Setrac curved points, both trailing and facing. (I'm very limited for space) . I'm so impressed I've ordered an 02/3 as well.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Mechanically: if you get a good one, then my experience over what must be 30 months now of very regular operation is that they run reliably. (If it arrives a poor runner, then return to dealer pronto!) Be very careful around the side rods which are easily bent, which are at greater risk of then fouling on small rad. curves.

Very positively the weight is good for an 8F, superior to all other RTR 2-8-0s for traction as a result, needs no extra ballast to take away sixty odd wagons around the tightest curves and sensible gradients. Downside in my opinion is that the mechanism construction is not DIY service/repair friendly. However we will cross that bridge when we come to it.