Lavenham Station

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard, Tom F

User avatar
kimballthurlow
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'
Posts: 297
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:58 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Re: Lavenham Station

Post by kimballthurlow » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:21 am

Steve05 wrote:
Ocean Swell wrote:Hi Steve

......
Thompson and Gresley non corridors will be useful however and if modeling the 50s the Bachmann Ivatt 2MT (46465-7) based at Cambridge as a starting point probably others too but as I model 7mm I will leave it to the better informed here.
...

We are OO scale modellers and already possess have a healthy collection of RTR LNER heritage locos but nearly all in BR liveries. Given this, I'm thinking that the war period until very early BR.

...Regards

Steve
Hi Steve,

I have 3 items of post-war LNER rolling stock that might be of interest, if you mail me.

regards
Kimball

Steve05
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'
Posts: 255
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:44 pm
Location: QLD Australia

Re: Lavenham Station

Post by Steve05 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:27 am

Bryan wrote:
Steve05 wrote:Hi Mick B,

I very much appreciate the posting of these photographs. Is that a small wagon turntable on the signal box diagram?

Thanks again mate.

Regards

Stephen
Possibly a small wagon T/T especially with Horse shunting.
However it may have been large enough to take a loco as the layout looks like it would form part of a run round move.
Hi Bryan,

I thank you for the post. :)

It certainly looks small enough for a wagon but I agree with your observations. 8)

From my perspective there’s a lot of fun in the research. If I get there next year please rest assured I'll take a visit loaded up with my camera.

Thanks mate.

Regards

Steve

Steve05
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'
Posts: 255
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:44 pm
Location: QLD Australia

Re: Lavenham Station

Post by Steve05 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:34 am

Ocean Swell wrote:Hi Steve

I would guess the most relevant MDP would be Bury St Edmunds (31E). I have a list of locos here for 1950
D15 62503, 62508
D16 62566, 62607, 62615
E4 62786, 62795
J15 65362, 65420, 65442
F6 67236, 67237, 67238
J69 68497

I expect there were several locos passing through from Cambridge (31A) and Colchester (30E) as well as further afield.

Those are the coaches I would start with and see what your research turn up on any older GER ones.

My own layout is a ficticious continuation of the Brightlingsea branch to the Village of St. Osyth. But I have an interest in Lavenham as whenever I visit my family in the UK, they will say "lets go for a drive in the country and we'll show you a real english village" and we always end up at Lavenham or Kersey and beautiful places they both are. I guess its like when UK visitors come to Adelaide and they get taken to Harndorf or Glenelg.

edit:spelling
Hi Mate,

I thank you for the recent message and attachments. :)

I'm with you; I loved the small villages and their country eccentricities which usually meant that Dad and I witnessed a deserted but lovely railway station and environs way back in 1967/8. :(

Gee whiz, I'm going to get some locos for this...but all part of the fun. 8)

Regards

Steve

Steve05
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'
Posts: 255
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:44 pm
Location: QLD Australia

Re: Lavenham Station

Post by Steve05 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:39 am

PaulG wrote:Steve

The Great Eastern Railway Society Journal No 88 October 1996 includes an illustrated article by Alic Robertson on the building and opening of the Sudbury to Bury St Edmunds line, based on period newspaper reports.

The article includes a number of GER and later period photographs and OS plans of stations along the route, including two photographs of Lavenham Station dated 1953 and 1961 and OS plan dated 1904.

Journal 90 has a follow up photograph of the accident on Lavenham bank on Saturday 17 October 1891.

Paul

Hi Paul,

I thank you for your post and your valuable information. :)

I certainly look forward to discovering what I can with assistance from you and others. 8)

Regards

Steve

CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2
Posts: 739
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:35 am
Location: Windsor, Berkshire

Re: Lavenham Station

Post by CVR1865 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:46 am

Hi Steve,
I am currently building a small layout based on White Colne which is on the other line that served Haverhill.

I have lots of info regarding these two lines so would be happy to chat about your project and any help I can provide.

Please feel free to PM me.

The dominant shed in the area was Colchester and I think Bury St edmunds would have provided only a small support. Really locos from Cambridge and Colchester, as already alluded to would be the mainstay of power. Including of course the Colne Valley converted j15s.

An interesting aside that may help in the building stage was that the entire track bed was constructed to double track width although only single track was laid throughout, other than in stations/loops of course.

Thanks and do let me know if I can help.
Simon.
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway

Steve05
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'
Posts: 255
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:44 pm
Location: QLD Australia

Re: Lavenham Station

Post by Steve05 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:05 pm

CVR1865 wrote:Hi Steve,
I am currently building a small layout based on White Colne which is on the other line that served Haverhill.

I have lots of info regarding these two lines so would be happy to chat about your project and any help I can provide.

Please feel free to PM me.

The dominant shed in the area was Colchester and I think Bury St edmunds would have provided only a small support. Really locos from Cambridge and Colchester, as already alluded to would be the mainstay of power. Including of course the Colne Valley converted j15s.

An interesting aside that may help in the building stage was that the entire track bed was constructed to double track width although only single track was laid throughout, other than in stations/loops of course.

Thanks and do let me know if I can help.
Simon.

Hi Simon,

I’d very much appreciate your assistance. :)

At the club I’m redeveloping a station in which the line duplicates just before the station itself to provide a passing loop on a single line branch. Therefore I was attracted to it because the duplication of the tracks throughout the station area and before the road bridges that bookended the station area. From my view it’s an extraordinarily interesting layout and would provide a lot of varying operational duties very akin to what you would want on an exhibition layout. Indeed if you wanted to take more artistic licence you could fit in a small loco engine shed and coal stage without ruining the overall theme in my opinion.

I’m going to ask some colleagues to get a plan together which I hope to share. My chums are probably reading this post and thinking, “he’s just mad”. OK guys, it’s not a prerequisite but it sure helps. :wink:

Regards

Steve

CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2
Posts: 739
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:35 am
Location: Windsor, Berkshire

Re: Lavenham Station

Post by CVR1865 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:08 am

Clare Station is pretty much the same being in the Great Eastern porvicial style much as Lavenham was. Also most of Clare Station is still there and gives some idea of the scale of track bed.

Good old disused stations website: http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/c/clare/index2.shtml
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway

Ocean Swell
NBR J36 0-6-0
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:05 am
Location: South Australia

Re: Lavenham Station

Post by Ocean Swell » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:45 am

Hi Steve,
while looking through the Ian Allan books for photos of gresley suburban coaches today I took the opportunity to not edown photos relevant to Lavenham, although I noticed only one of the station itsself. There were several of the line in general although most don't have dates they would mostly be in the 1950s.

East Anglain Branch Line Album
The last photo in the book shows E4 62797 with an articulated two coach set Comp-Brake3rd possably dia.213? with J19 64659 shunting the goods yard at Lavenham in the background

East Anglian Album plates 76-79
E4 62785 with thompson CL dia.338 and BT dia. 340
C12 4-4-2t 67375 (failed) assisted by J17 65575 CL D.338 and Bt D.64/5
B1 61287 involved in rmoving track after closure
and finaly B17 61563 Huddersfield town on a 7 coach saturday excursion from Liecester or Manchester to Clacton (good reason to get a new hornby B17).

55 years of East anglian steam
plates 43-45
C12 67367 CL D.338 and BT D.64/65
J17 65562 articulated twin dia.213(?) i'm not to sure on artic stock.
J15 65461 CL D.338 and BT D.340

Doctor on the line
F6 67237 BT D.64/65 and CL D.49/50 (dated 1952)
J20 64969 on "Lavenham hat train" 1 fruit van and ex LMS Gaurds Van. according to the text a lady in Lavenham made large ascot hats that were transported in this way!

Also in another book
Great Eastern since 1900
J15 65391 (with modified tender cab as mentioned by CVR1865) BT D64/65 and CL D.338 dated 1954

hope this is useful info.

2512silverfox

Re: Lavenham Station

Post by 2512silverfox » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:27 am

There is another source which you might like to follow up and that is at the NRM. In about 1910 the GER sent a team of photographers throughout the network to record a large number of stations and locations on behalf of the Civil Engineering Dept. In the late 70s I catalogued a lot of these for the NRM although I cannot remember Lavenham being one of them. It might well be worth getting in touch with the NRM to see if there are any of Lavenham in particular. I do remember a series of photos covering Long Melford in some detail, so it quite likely that Lavenham is covered as well.

PaulG
NER J27 0-6-0
Posts: 139
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:18 am
Location: Sheringham, Norfolk
Contact:

Re: Lavenham Station

Post by PaulG » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:36 pm

2512silverfox wrote:There is another source which you might like to follow up and that is at the NRM. In about 1910 the GER sent a team of photographers throughout the network to record a large number of stations and locations on behalf of the Civil Engineering Dept. In the late 70s I catalogued a lot of these for the NRM although I cannot remember Lavenham being one of them. It might well be worth getting in touch with the NRM to see if there are any of Lavenham in particular. I do remember a series of photos covering Long Melford in some detail, so it quite likely that Lavenham is covered as well.
If you go onto the Great Eastern Railway Society web site and look in the Sales Section, the 1911 photographs are listed in the Information Sheets (N112/N116/N121). I've had a very quick look at my list but I can't find any of Lavenham Station.

Unfortunalty I don't think Paul Bolger Stations UK photographs are still available, but he had a number of view of the station.

Paul

Steve05
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'
Posts: 255
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:44 pm
Location: QLD Australia

Re: Lavenham Station

Post by Steve05 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:59 am

CVR1865 wrote:Clare Station is pretty much the same being in the Great Eastern porvicial style much as Lavenham was. Also most of Clare Station is still there and gives some idea of the scale of track bed.

Good old disused stations website: http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/c/clare/index2.shtml
Hi CVR1865,

I have studied Clare from Disused Stations but made no connection. It’s a wonderful and grand station house indeed. 8)

I thank you for the valuable information.

Regards

Steve

Steve05
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'
Posts: 255
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:44 pm
Location: QLD Australia

Re: Lavenham Station

Post by Steve05 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:04 am

Ocean Swell wrote:Hi Steve,
while looking through the Ian Allan books for photos of gresley suburban coaches today I took the opportunity to not edown photos relevant to Lavenham, although I noticed only one of the station itsself. There were several of the line in general although most don't have dates they would mostly be in the 1950s.

East Anglain Branch Line Album
The last photo in the book shows E4 62797 with an articulated two coach set Comp-Brake3rd possably dia.213? with J19 64659 shunting the goods yard at Lavenham in the background

East Anglian Album plates 76-79
E4 62785 with thompson CL dia.338 and BT dia. 340
C12 4-4-2t 67375 (failed) assisted by J17 65575 CL D.338 and Bt D.64/5
B1 61287 involved in rmoving track after closure
and finaly B17 61563 Huddersfield town on a 7 coach saturday excursion from Liecester or Manchester to Clacton (good reason to get a new hornby B17).

55 years of East anglian steam
plates 43-45
C12 67367 CL D.338 and BT D.64/65
J17 65562 articulated twin dia.213(?) i'm not to sure on artic stock.
J15 65461 CL D.338 and BT D.340

Doctor on the line
F6 67237 BT D.64/65 and CL D.49/50 (dated 1952)
J20 64969 on "Lavenham hat train" 1 fruit van and ex LMS Gaurds Van. according to the text a lady in Lavenham made large ascot hats that were transported in this way!

Also in another book
Great Eastern since 1900
J15 65391 (with modified tender cab as mentioned by CVR1865) BT D64/65 and CL D.338 dated 1954

hope this is useful info.
Hi Mate,

Yep, I’m definitely getting two B17 locomotives from Hornby; it’s one of my favorites. :)

Looks like I’m going to have to build or acquire a few custom built loco’s for this.

I much appreciate your information and advice.

Regards

Steve

Steve05
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'
Posts: 255
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:44 pm
Location: QLD Australia

Re: Lavenham Station

Post by Steve05 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:19 am

2512silverfox wrote:There is another source which you might like to follow up and that is at the NRM. In about 1910 the GER sent a team of photographers throughout the network to record a large number of stations and locations on behalf of the Civil Engineering Dept. In the late 70s I catalogued a lot of these for the NRM although I cannot remember Lavenham being one of them. It might well be worth getting in touch with the NRM to see if there are any of Lavenham in particular. I do remember a series of photos covering Long Melford in some detail, so it quite likely that Lavenham is covered as well.
Hi Mate,

That's really good to know. :)

I actually found a really great guy at the NRM who was extremely helpful in authenticating my friends LMS General Arrangement drawing of the Royal Scot locomotive. He really went right out of his way to compare their copy from the archives with ours. I was amazed at how much extra effort he went to as he understood the difficulties of researching artifacts from here in Aussie.

Thanks.

Regards

Steve

Steve05
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'
Posts: 255
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:44 pm
Location: QLD Australia

Re: Lavenham Station

Post by Steve05 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:36 am

PaulG wrote:
2512silverfox wrote:There is another source which you might like to follow up and that is at the NRM. In about 1910 the GER sent a team of photographers throughout the network to record a large number of stations and locations on behalf of the Civil Engineering Dept. In the late 70s I catalogued a lot of these for the NRM although I cannot remember Lavenham being one of them. It might well be worth getting in touch with the NRM to see if there are any of Lavenham in particular. I do remember a series of photos covering Long Melford in some detail, so it quite likely that Lavenham is covered as well.
If you go onto the Great Eastern Railway Society web site and look in the Sales Section, the 1911 photographs are listed in the Information Sheets (N112/N116/N121). I've had a very quick look at my list but I can't find any of Lavenham Station.

Unfortunalty I don't think Paul Bolger Stations UK photographs are still available, but he had a number of view of the station.

Paul

Hi Paul,

I have just quickly visited the website, it’s very impressive. 8)
You have also done a huge amount of work…..wow!

I have indeed a lot to learn.

Regards

Steve

PaulG
NER J27 0-6-0
Posts: 139
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:18 am
Location: Sheringham, Norfolk
Contact:

Re: Lavenham Station

Post by PaulG » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:55 pm

[Hi Paul,

I have just quickly visited the website, it’s very impressive. 8)
You have also done a huge amount of work…..wow!

I have indeed a lot to learn.

Regards

Steve[/quote]

Steve
I haven't up loaded onto the GERS site a new "Modelling the railways of East Anglia in 4mm Scale" document this year; what with all the delays with new model releases etc I'll issue a new document in the new year. I've expanded the document with new data and the document is now over 50 A4 pages.

Regards
Paul

Post Reply