New shunter at Lyddlow

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Blackcloud
NER Y7 0-4-0T

New shunter at Lyddlow

Post by Blackcloud »

Lyddlow has a new shunting loco (OK second hand, but a new arrival). The Sentinel is ideally suited to the little O scale layout.
The loco was purchased at Rainhill exhibition last month but this afternoon is the first time I have had the layout out this year so the loco got a test run and a photo opportunity. The kit built loco still requires cab steps adding and may be renumbered as part of my 'South Cheshire Light Railway' fleet so that any anomalies between the model and the prototype can be explained by the fact that it is a SCLR loco rather than one of the LNER's Sentinels.
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by 45609 »

Hi Bob,
That's a really atmospheric picture of some great modelling. Any chance we could see a bit more of the layout?
cheers,
Morgan
Blackcloud
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Blackcloud »

Thanks Morgan, there's not a lot more to see with Lyddlow though! It is, quite literally, a little O layout.

Click here for my Bubbleshare photos of the layout or here for a brief description.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

It is tiny!

I'm often tempted by O, but I was thinking of something more like an Inglenook with a O-9 loop (the O-9 could also work as an N test track if I'm careful with clearances).

Did the LMS have many of the Sentinels? (your Sentinel has an ex-LMS number)
I think they all of the Big Four purchased at least one trial locomotive, but I think the LNER bought the most.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Blackcloud
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Blackcloud »

They had four apparently, 7160-3 renumbered as 7180-3, which became 47180-3 with nationalisation.

The choice of number was not mine, the loco is second hand. I didn't realise the LMS had some of these in their fleet, I know they did test them while the locos were new and being delivered to the LNE but did not know the outcome of those tests. We live and learn.

Talking of O scale Sentinels, my local model shop has one of the Skytrex models in stock. Truly tempting! I might have to ask the wife for one as a birthday present. :wink: The loco on Lyddlow is built from a kit and powered by a Lima motor bogie with extended axles.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Just found my PD Marsh instructions - yes 2 to the GWR and 4 to the LMS. No mention of the SR. One of the GWR examples was returned within a year - the other has survived into preservation.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia