Saint Johnstoun's thread - projects at the Kinnoull Shops.

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Saint Johnstoun's thread - projects at the Kinnoull Shops.

Post by Saint Johnstoun »

I thought it a good idea to bring together all my projects onto one thread so that those following can find it easier.

Currently in the shops.

Bachmann WD 2-8-0 to 2-10-0 conversion.

Bachmann J38 from J39 conversion.

BR Class 501 Watford unit from Bachmann Suburbans

LNER Proposed 4-8-2.

DC Kits Glasgow Blue Train.

On the waiting list to finish.

LMS 1927 Watford EMU Stock from Airfix non corridor coaches.

LNER A1/1 Great Northern using Atlantic's parts.

Original and rebuilt W1 class locos.

LNER Class C9 Atlantic using Hornby D49 bodies.

Anyway, here is a reminder of some more unusual types you can run on a 1940s LNER layout!
O6-O7b.jpg
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Saint Johnstoun's thread - projects at the Kinnoull Shop

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

All interesting projects that I'm sure we'll follow with interest - 'bout time you had your own workshop thread! :D

Oh, and Happy New Year!
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Happy New Year
Good luck with your C9 project.
My go at adding a layered insert in the boiler was doomed to failure. However, I now have some 22mm plastic tubing to make a new boiler, but if I have a scratch boiler, I might as well build all the body from scratch.
I can see the attraction of building a C9 from two D49 bodies. The Hornby tender top with a new underframe would also suit the C9.
The chassis could be difficult to source from RTR models. The D49 had a 10ft driving wheel spacing, while the C9 had a 7ft 7ins. The A3 etc and B17 minus one axle, would give you a 7ft 3 spacing (only 1.3mm out) with the right size wheels.
Its an interesting loco and I look forward to seeing someone, with more modelling skilles than myself, attempt it.
Earlswood Nob
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Happy New Year to all who follow LNER Forum.

Oh - I forgot another project in the pipeline - an upgrade of my Crosti 9F!

At the early stages too - a MSJ&A EMU! I acquired a box full of Airfix LMS non corridors years ago and they needed to be put to a good use! The best were sorted out and run on my layout but the others have been cut and shut!
Coboman
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Coboman »

I've got a J39 waiting on a J38 converison inspired by that thread you posted a month ago or so, but can I find some Bachmann split chassis 57xx axles? sadly not! You have some other interesting projects on the go there. Keep us up to date with piccies etc :wink:
Its good to know where you stand. Saves making a fool of yourself later......
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Saint Johnstoun wrote:I thought it a good idea to bring together all my projects onto one thread so that those following can find it easier.

Currently in the shops.

Bachmann WD 2-8-0 to 2-10-0 conversion.....

Now that is going to be an intriguing one. I was looking at the Bradwell WD kit in my wardrobe in conjunction with some GAs of the 2-10-0, and it looked as though the two engines are the same up to the third driving axle. From there up to and including the cab, it's all different - the cab looks to be about 3 inches longer at least.
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Just out of the shops after being rechassied with the latest Hornby Railroad unit.
Crosti
Crosti
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

See the Olympics N2 thread for my latest 'conversions'.
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

At long last got some satin black mixed up today and airbrushed the J38, also parts of the N2 with GER type condensing arrangements which will be in LNER black as it has the original long pipes. Will post photos when I have done the lettering and lining out.

I also think I have sussed how to upgrade the Airfix N2 with a Hornby Motor - watch this space!! :roll:
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

N2, new motor, Looking forward to that 8)

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Ah yes, that motor swap could be a handy one to see. I too felt it warm, dry and bright enough yesterday to dare to try some top-coat spraying for the first time in many weeks.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Fresh from the paint shop! 65919! Note that I have picked a prototype which ran with a 4200 gallon tender latterly.
65919s.jpg
65919.jpg

Now to the N2s. Most of the chassis spares are available from the spares stockists so it looks like a fairly easy upgrade - I will be dealing with this one over the next week or so.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

That looks nice, pity they didn't come south of the border :D

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Effective, and interesting. As far as I can tell from those pictures you've beaten (or dodged) the problem of loss of ride height with smaller wheels, yet without ending up with the chassis-borne chunk of boiler bottom hanging out awkwardly below the rest of the boiler. Have you been devious, or am I imagining problems that didn't really arise?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

The body does sit slightly lower overall relative to the track but this is hardly noticeable as it only amounts to 1mm. The only problem that arose was in connection with the tender coupling where I had to put a packing piece under the screw to lower it so it did not foul the rear drawplate of the cab, and the front coupling was thinned slightly to raise the height.
One of these days I will take a leaf out of your book Atlantic and cut and shut a 4200gallon tender down to a 3500 one for this loco.