Saint Johnstoun's thread - projects at the Kinnoull Shops.

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Saint Johnstoun's thread - projects at the Kinnoull Shop

Post by Saint Johnstoun »

Barclay Variations.jpg
They've been breeding over the Christmas period!
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

MANORBIER CASTLE 1.jpg
I've taken a trip to the forbidden railway to deal with something which has been around for over thirty years. Back in the early 1980s a shop in Perth was selling off Airfix Castle Class locos at £8 each. I bought a load and created about every variation that was possible including this 'orrible streamliner. The opportunity to upgrade the model came recently with the acquisition of a chassis with the latest five pole skew wound motor, which I successfully fitted today and now the model performs to C21 standards. For those wanting to recreate the 1925 loco exchanges I see Hornby are doing a Castle with the smaller tender in 2014! I did my own years ago by pairing an Airfix loco to a Hornby Tender drive.
Mercator II
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Mercator II »

Got one on my "to do shelf" in the guise of a Hornby Hogwarts, just never got round to starting it

If we dont get shot first, how did you go about your adaption please?

oOo

Brian
oOo

Brian

Garage Hobbit!!
Modelling in 00 on my heritage line, very GCR inspired
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

The loco conversion was done nearly 30 years ago. The vee front cab was created using a spare cab from another Castle I rebuilt as a Star, the splashers, boiler streamlining and fairings were executed in body filler and then carefully sanded to shape. The bullet on the smokebox door came from a plastic ball which one used to get with sweets in from a slot machine outside a shop in town.

As for the upgrade, the tender body fitted the later chassis but lacks the two additional screw locations so it is just fixed on at the front of the tender. The loco body has a few minor differences - I had to find a suitable weight to push into the front of the boiler and a small portion of plastic has to be removed from underneath the boiler just level with the front of the splashers to clear the DCC mounting plate on the chassis. Extra weight is also provided on the body of the 5 pole motor version in the form of four plates which are held by two screws under the cab. Again there are no screw fixings to hold these a small amount of adhesive will hold them in place. The later chassis is held in place using the same two screws into the old style body as the new one. The loco to tender coupling is fixed as per the later model.

I now have another unusual loco which performs well rather than sounding like a bacon slicer - a test run with 9 bogies proved it is OK!

If I can locate another 5 pole chassis I have a suitable 3500 gallon Bachmann tender and my Pendennis Castle could also get a facelift!
auldreekie
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by auldreekie »

Saint Johnstoun wrote:
Barclay 0-4-0 cutdown 1.jpg
Another adaptation of a readily available resin kit. The prototype worked close to the East Coast Main Line - Where?
Forgive my ignorance: I'm not aware of such a kit - do you feel able/willing to tell us its provenance?

auldreekie
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

The Kit is available from ARC Models - email them at arcmodels@fsmail.net for a catalogue and order form. The kit is also available sometimes on ebay and it fits the Hornby/Dapol L&Y 0-4-0 chassis. Ideal loco for those Scottish Collieries! They intend to do the variations I have created myself as alternatives in due course, and also the smaller and larger Barclay 0-4-0s. They are also tempted by my Fireless, the only drawback here is that a lot of modellers might not find the relocation of the cylinders under the cab an easy task!
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Barclay 0-4-0 S & L.jpg
Born on New Years Day 2014 - A variant as seen at Stewarts & Lloyds Bilston. On temporary chassis as my 'stores' are short of parts until after the holidays.
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Easy Handrail Knob Installation.jpg
GBLC A4 upgrade 1.jpg
Here's the easy way to install handrails. Put a piece of sellotape on one end of a length of wire and thread on the requisite number of knobs. You can then install them into the loco body without danger of losing any. I'm using these for an upgrade of one of the Great British Locomotive Collection 'Mallard' bodies. Once you have pushed the knob into the body holes a touch of superglue on the inside will ensure it stays put. The second photo shows the handrails installed - note that chimney is missing - awaiting single one to fit, and also buffers.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

I would have sorted the awful Smokebox curve out ,before the handrails !!
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

I suspect that the loco will be getting a complete respray so I didn't bother removing the misplaced white line! I removed the cabside numbers using Tee Cut and a sharp blade - they don't come away that easily in this case. I have lining transfers coming for the parabolic curve at the front anyway!

The plan is to deal with a number of bodies, and then await suitable opportunity to acquire suitable chassis when the frenzy to get same on Ebay has died away. I prefer to get busted ones anyway and repair myself as that keeps the cost down. If I have a batch to do it will also simplify painting, as I can have an airbrush session with garter blue, and then apple green!

Now somewhere I saw an etch available to deal with skirt removals?
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Saint Johnstoun wrote: Now somewhere I saw an etch available to deal with skirt removals?
Cue: Simon Martin........
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

I've had a few PMs with SJ and I'm afraid I'm still going through each order one by one and checking all the etches are sound before invoicing anyone. I'm about halfway through the orders and I know at this point I haven't got enough of the cutting tools left to make up any more full kits.

I am thinking of changing the etches significantly after some feedback from some of my customers and my own close examination of the idea overall. I am also intending to add to the products but this may be a while coming as I am in training for my job and time is at a premium.

Can I take this opportunity to apologise to everyone who has been waiting for their orders. The orders are coming, just taking my time to make sure all is well with them.
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

I'm working my way through the bodies - first one has been re-handrailed, and I am about to start on a second. I intend to finish these two in apple green, one with parabolic curve, and the other with black smokebox, will sort out tenders later. The bodies are ideal and cheap to experiment on - I can practice my lining skills on the two green ones until I get them right!

I will have to wait to get hold of a suitable L/d B17 before attempting a carve up to produce East Anglian or City of London - as you will know I tried it with an old T/d B17 and the earlier A4 Hornby body years ago and the result was reasonable, but using a GBLC body will produce a better result I think - and one of those cheapo tenders will cut down nicely to fit the B17 tender chassis.

I need to source some chime whistles!
auldreekie
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by auldreekie »

Saint Johnstoun wrote:The Kit is available from ARC Models - email them at arcmodels@fsmail.net for a catalogue and order form. The kit is also available sometimes on ebay and it fits the Hornby/Dapol L&Y 0-4-0 chassis. Ideal loco for those Scottish Collieries! They intend to do the variations I have created myself as alternatives in due course, and also the smaller and larger Barclay 0-4-0s. They are also tempted by my Fireless, the only drawback here is that a lot of modellers might not find the relocation of the cylinders under the cab an easy task!

Thank you, very belatedly. My apologies for delay in the comeback -- I've spent very little time on this forum lately, for extraneous reasons.

auldreekie
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

A4 conversions.jpg
A4 conversions 1.jpg
Further progress on the A4s

Top photo l-r W1 10000, proposed streamlined V2, Two A4s to become Woodcock and Kingfisher.

Bottom. Devalanced - to become Seagull - 1948 loco exchanges with cut down tender back.