Saint Johnstoun's thread - projects at the Kinnoull Shops.

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Saint Johnstoun's thread - projects at the Kinnoull Shop

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

Great production line Allan! :)
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Excellent! Might it be possible to ask the provenance of your single chimneys?
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Saint Johnstoun »

If you speak nicely to a certain Mr Graeme King he may be able to oblige!
B3nj1_p
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by B3nj1_p »

V2 sounds interesting, is that based on an actual proposal?

I shall be watching eagerly...
Benji
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

LNER Proposed Designs V2.doc
(385.5 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
Yes, at the development stage the first outline looked like a cut down 'Cock O' the North, later, as the A4s were in production, a streamlined version was outlined. The diagram shows a normal 4200 gallon tender though.
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

V2 Proposal 2.jpg
Here's progress.
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Spent the day playing with tenders. Have just created one of the cut down ones for the 1948 exchanges using one of the GBLC FS bodies. However fun time came later. A while ago I converted a US visit Hornby Scotsman to 60100 Spearmint in Apple green but with British Railways on the tender. Its the only Gresley I had with the stupid plug in the tender, so technically after I mounted the GN tender body on the chassis it was the incorrect underframe as it has the corridor tender type steps at the rear. I have however a NRM Scotsman which is basically 'stored' so I set about doing a chassis swap so that I could fit the correct tender underframe to the GN tender on 60100. I had to change one of the driving wheel sets to eliminate the speedo drive and then the fun started. I finished up with a short on the chassis which took some time to sort out and those pickups are fiddly things to deal with. However, after a battle I got the whole thing sorted and now have another spare corridor tender underframe. Also took one of the GBRC Flying Scotsman loco bodies to bits. Don't think there is a lot I can use here but its gone in the bits box so we will see!

If you ever have to strip one of these A1/A3/A4 chassis make sure that you have a piece of insulating tape round where the pickup lead goes up under the motor - if not a short on the chassis frame will result.
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Longmoor 5.jpg
Talking of blue, here is another blue collection, the LMR one!
Clock O' the North
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Clock O' the North »

Hi
Great looking collection of L.M.R locos. May I ask what is diesel, an BR 08 class?.... :evil:
Thanks Lachlan

Preserved LNER themed layout in 25c :D
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

LMR Diesel is actually one of the pre BR 08 class built by the LMS.
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

LNER Proposed Designs progress.jpg
Up to the eyes in filler. Here is progress so far on two proposed designs. The streamlined 4-8-2 and a streamlined version of the Peppercorn A1.
Haven't decided yet which version the A1 will be yet - full Bugatti front or the one with the exposed smokebox!
I'm held up finishing off the other locos - awaiting parts and paint, so will progress these two and add them to the line-up for the paint shop, although I don't have a chassis yet for the Pacific.
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

Express modelling Allan! :)

I look forward to seeing how they progress!
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

I'd perhaps better explain the logic behind the cut and shut - the 4-8-2 is cut and shut in exactly the same way that Graeme did his, but the A1 proposal took a little thought. The loco is longer at the front and rear than an A4 so I simply added a 9mm section in front of the firebox - I cut the running plate away and inserted a filler piece at the back, relocating the rear section the correct distance, with the whole lot held together inside by a wrapper of 10 thou plasticard - filled in all the holes with body filler and its now just a case of smoothing it all up. The boiler bands are now in the wrong place so all but the rearmost one will have to be removed and replaced.

The intention is to use a Bachmann A1 chassis. As for livery, I wonder about this one - garter blue seems logical but with a BR number and BRITISH RAILWAYS on the tender. Any opinions? As for the tender the proposal drawing shows a corridor one but I have stacks of N/c bodies so that is what it will be.

I am going to be very cheeky and make this one my mascot loco, 60162 SAINT JOHNSTOUN! I would have assumed that they would not have been built until after 1948 so simply 162 would not be right?
Proposed A1 body modification.jpg
auldreekie
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by auldreekie »

Well. The real thing looked rather good in BR lined blue. It might be worth trying that for the putative streamlined version....

(Excuse this if it's deepest heresy.)

auldreekie
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Well yes, the real Saint Johnstoun did look good in BR blue, only just remember it - was always immaculately turned out even in green days - I remember her well on the 8pm to Edinburgh in Perth's Platform Five with that wonderful sizzle from the ejector exhaust coming out of the double chimney! Weeknights it was usually an A1 or an A3 - Holyrood, Grand Parade, Colorado, Humorist to name but a few, Sundays we were treated to an A4! I think they used to send up the loco that had been tuned up for the non stop the next morning (or the spare one) on the 4.30 from Waverley and back on the 8 O'clock (departure time varied slightly over the years) to check they were A1. The A4s always sounded right on that train!