Question about couplings

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Flyingscotsmanfan
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Question about couplings

Post by Flyingscotsmanfan »

I'm planning on changing all my model stock to scale link couplings at some point in the future, what I would like to know is what sort of couplings did LNER express stock have? Was it simple 3 link, screw link or another kind, also on the Hornby A3 & A4 the back coupling on the tender is a type I don't recognise can anybody tell me what they are from the looks of them they look like buckeyes.
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Bullhead »

I think Gresley was a leading proponent of the "Buckeye" coupling and that this feature was incorporated on all new build LNER coaches - although I imagine that pre-grouping (except, maybe, GNR and ECJS) coaching stock inherited by the LNER probably had screw couplings.
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
Flyingscotsmanfan
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

I take it that means the current Hornby Gresley coches will need to be fitted with buckeye couplings? Also were the Buckeyes consistent throughout the train or was it just for between coach and tender?
Another question springs to mind, where can you get scale buckeye couplings from, surely Kadee couplings would be over scale for this?
Bullhead

Post by Bullhead »

The entire train would have been Buckeye fitted. Whether or not it's worth fitting Hornby Gresleys with replacement couplings is debatable, in view of their other well-publicised shortcomings. It's a pity they don't come with Bachman-style semi-permanent alternatives which hint at vacuum and steam pipe connections.
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
Colombo

Post by Colombo »

The coupling on the rear of the tender of an LNER Pacific was always a screw coupling. Provision was made for the buckeye coupling of a Gresley carriage to split in a vertical plan transversely to the track, exposing a coupling hook. There were sleeves supplied to extend the stocks of the buffers to reduce the close coupling effect when using the screw couplings.

My Ian Kirk Gresley Teak carriages have all been re-equipped with Kadee Buckeye couplings at the Kadee height and they work perfectly. The Hornby Gresleys that I have purchased to extend the set to eight carriages also have Kadees. Unfortunately, the running of the Hornby ones is less reliable, particularly when reversing the 8 coach rake. I have given up trying to cure the fault for now.

The Kadee mounting height is as per the Kadee gauge and not at the prototypical height for Gresley stock, which is higher.

Colombo
Flyingscotsmanfan
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

So until a way is found to stop the fault it is suggested that I do not fit scale buckeye couplings? Would it be so hideously wrong if if I put scale screw link couplings on the Pacific tender? If not then what couplings are suggested to fit to the coaches (would it be screw link or 3 link), or should I just leave them as they are straight out of the box?
Thank you both for your answers each one helps me out a lot!
40A
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by 40A »

I have now fitted all my Hornby Gresleys with kadeees at buffer beam height, and at last I get reliable running with them. No derailment problems at all, unless I have set the road against them of course.

Gilbert
Flyingscotsmanfan
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Gilbert,

Are they scale buckeyes? and is there any chance of some pictures?
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

I take it that the reversing is that they bunch up, and like the little farish 0-6-0s coupled together, they are too close and buffer lock occurs on corners!
By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk
Colombo

Post by Colombo »

I have attached a photo of my Hornby Britannia coupled to an Ian Kirk Gresley carriage with Kadee couplers. The close coupling effect is enhanced by the folded paper corridor connection.

If I fitted a screw coupling to the back of the tender, I would expect to get buffer locking, but it would look more realistic.

Colombo
Attachments
P1010030.JPG
(166.84 KiB) Downloaded 152 times
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

With regard to use of Screw links and Buckeyes.
It is norman practice on the railways for quite a while now for stock to be coupled using Buckeyes and the prime mover to be coupled using screwlinks.
More recently, buckeye useage on some locos has come in to practice.