Paul's workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Re: Paul's workbench

Post by nzpaul »

Thank you gentlemen, I've tracked down the image on Colour Rail and the sample image is clear enough to confirm comments. I'm quite pleased that the valances can be black, that will look better than a green allover. I'll try black on the heater tanks as well and see if it all makes sense, a change to green if it looks awful wont be much trouble. My photos also show up some wonky bits that will need attention before any painting happens.

Paul
will5210
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by will5210 »

Looks great!
Will

My LNER 1930s West Highland Workbench
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9293

My Blog
http://westhighlandmodelling.wordpress.com/
nzpaul

Post by nzpaul »

Thanks Will, you've prompted me to go and have a look at your thread. You were cutting a K4 in half back in 2013.....hows it going?

Paul
will5210
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by will5210 »

nzpaul wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:15 am Thanks Will, you've prompted me to go and have a look at your thread. You were cutting a K4 in half back in 2013.....hows it going?

Paul
No modelling done since last spring unfortunately! But I'm sure I'll be back one day
Will

My LNER 1930s West Highland Workbench
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9293

My Blog
http://westhighlandmodelling.wordpress.com/
nzpaul

Post by nzpaul »

Hi All
As well as doing some relatively serious model building during the lock down I also had plenty of time to noodle around with some other things. The construction of the V2 body and streamlined B17 had left the chopped up remains of a Triang-Hornby A3, GBL V2 and the Railraod B17 shell. I've attached a few of the parts to each other and come up with this....a LNEResque 2-4-2 running on a Triang "Polly" chassis fitted with some old Romford 20mm wheels and motor from a China made B12. It has some kind of rotary cam valve gear, Franklin perhaps but it doesn't really matter. The tender is a 3500 gallon type from a Dave Alexander kit (I thinks, not 100% sure). It goes like a robbers dog so just the weapon for my make believe "Rock Band tour" train.
2020_1.jpg
Also started putting together a Dapol brake van and had a guard figure who seemed to be waving frantically, so I thought it a good idea to make him do just that, it'll have to go behind a fairly slow pick up goods or coal drag, poor bloke would get a awfully sore shoulder if he was behind V2 hauled fitted freight.
BVan.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqjJiQ5YR-c

Cheers
Paul
Mercator II
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Mercator II »

Love the 2-4-2 creation, looks right, I might have to rob the idea for a future hack bash myself!!! Certainly has the Gresley feel to it

Thanks for sharing
oOo

Brian

Garage Hobbit!!
Modelling in 00 on my heritage line, very GCR inspired
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

nzpaul wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:15 am Hi All
As well as doing some relatively serious model building during the lock down I also had plenty of time to noodle around with some other things. The construction of the V2 body and streamlined B17 had left the chopped up remains of a Triang-Hornby A3, GBL V2 and the Railraod B17 shell. I've attached a few of the parts to each other and come up with this....a LNEResque 2-4-2 running on a Triang "Polly" chassis fitted with some old Romford 20mm wheels and motor from a China made B12. It has some kind of rotary cam valve gear, Franklin perhaps but it doesn't really matter. The tender is a 3500 gallon type from a Dave Alexander kit (I thinks, not 100% sure). It goes like a robbers dog so just the weapon for my make believe "Rock Band tour" train.
2020_1.jpg

Cheers
Paul
Bizarre as it may be, given that it is tidy, unique, in some ways believable in appearance, and in gloss finish, that's probably just the sort of thing to realize a surprisingly high price in the right kind of auction one day!
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
nzpaul

Post by nzpaul »

Thanks Brian, by all means pinch the idea, I'd send you a copy of the plans....if there were any. :?

I've promised my family that I wont leave them with a massive collection of toy trains to deal with after I fall of my perch. I guess most of it will end up on Ebay or the like sometime in the next 30 years or so. If collecting trains or building model railways is still "a thing" by then, who knows, maybe I might get an surprisingly high price for some of them, they could just as easily end up worthless and in a landfill. I'm hoping to get my moneys worth out of them before that.

Cheers
Paul
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

I think I would prefer the original LNER number 2020, appropriately a D20. But, it is a close-run thing!

John
nzpaul

Post by nzpaul »

Hi All
Well it's been a long while but thanks to Graeme L I have something interesting to share (at least I hope it's interesting).
Graeme paid me a visit a couple of weeks ago for the purpose of adding some weight to his EB1. He's sent me a video of it doing some proper work with a decent length train, seems the 50 grams extra over the motor bogie has improved it a little (or a lot).
Video Link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYKhBFXSf0A

Thanks Graeme for letting me share it here.

Cheers
Paul
Paul_sterling
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Paul_sterling »

That 2-4-2 looks fantastic Paul. lovely work!

A few more Q1's have appeared since yours and mine were built. I managed to mod the cad to allow it to print on the DLP/SLA printer in one lump.

I have built a short extention on my sons layout (whilst my layout is being removed to do damp course and new floor), a colliery/mine section, which has a rather vicious looking 1in25 incline to climb out of. the LHJC No.5 mule struggled a bit, my cut down version of 29, No.61 which is a Bachmann J72 heavyweight got the train moving with a little wheelslip.

The Q1, well all eight wagons had oxford diecast models in (at my sons insistence!), some ballast, and a few other bits and pieces. It still set away, mid incline, with no slippage whatsoever!

Cheers, Paul.
nzpaul

Post by nzpaul »

Hi Paul
Thanks, the 2-4-2 was really just for fun. It does blend in rather well with V2s , A3s and K3s etc, could possibly get away with claiming it as a scale model in the right company, not here of course.
I'm not surprised at all that you've had more orders for your prints, they are very good. Like you I've found the Q1 a powerful thing, 8 wheel drive and fairly heavy so good recipe for traction.

Cheers
Paul
Paul_sterling
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Paul_sterling »

nzpaul wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:31 am Hi Paul
Thanks, the 2-4-2 was really just for fun. It does blend in rather well with V2s , A3s and K3s etc, could possibly get away with claiming it as a scale model in the right company, not here of course.
I'm not surprised at all that you've had more orders for your prints, they are very good. Like you I've found the Q1 a powerful thing, 8 wheel drive and fairly heavy so good recipe for traction.

Cheers
Paul
I can sort of imagine the 2-4-2 would have been a turn of the century GNR Ivatt loco that still performed a fairly specific duty well, on a tightly curved, but high axle load rated route, and that by around 1937, needed new boilers, so Gresley cut down a V2 boiler to suit, making the capital accountants happy, as no "new" engines had to be funded, whilst giving revenue a good kicking.

Paul.
nzpaul

Post by nzpaul »

Hi All
Rather shamefully, I haven't touched this model for nearly 6 months. So as a last ditch effort to achieve something on it before the end of 2020 I've done a spot of painting and lining on the B12. Although not complete by any means, it more or less looks like the final product. In the interest of conservation and reducing plastic waste I've used up as many parts as possible from the donor models, including the boiler back head from the Bachmann O4, makes for an impressive cab interior even if it's not quite the right thing. Some remedial work still to do on the cab roof and I must modify the bogie and make some proper guard irons. The tender is in the lining out department at the moment and not far off complete. Finishing this will be a nice way to start 2021.
Happy New Year, 8)
B12_6.jpg
B12_8.jpg
B12_7.jpg

Cheers
Paul
nzpaul

Post by nzpaul »

Hi All
Back packing B12 ready for work, almost, I'm out of crew and coal.....small things :? There is some anecdotal evidence suggesting the GNoS area B12s occasionally visited Edinburgh, so close enough to full justification for building it (Rule 1). Nothing I can find to suggest they were ever tried on the Waverley Route but who's looking. B12 is perhaps a little less ugly than I thought it would be.
B12_9.jpg
I've built the first baseboard for the upper level of my layout recently so Hawick/Canal Shed will be more than just a helix/spiral soon.

Paul