Paul's workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Re: Paul's workbench

Post by nzpaul »

Hi All
Experimenting with the Reeves Acrylic paint continues and the only way to know how it really looks is to put it on a loco. The perfect opportunity exists with the make believe Gresley A2. The loco and tender now sprayed with the green and black parts coloured in. One thing to note is that the artists acrylic paint requires around 5 days to be properly cured and (I'm not sure if I'm imagining it) seems to gain a bit of depth/richness as it matures.
The tender chassis is made using plasticard with brass bearings and pockets filled with lead shot and like the C11, turned out much more rigid and true than expected.
It'll be interesting to see what happens after the lining is applied and it gets a coat of varnish, the Tamiya paint really comes to life but that is a Matt paint, this Reeves paint has more of a satin finish so may not react the same way.
A2.1_10.jpg
Paul
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

nzpaul wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:02 am While most other workbench threads are progressing with proper interesting projects, I've been tackling a couple of Marklin digital conversions and this evil Heljan Class 17 piece of detritus. While this has little to do with the LNER it may be useful to someone...
Such as those like myself modelling the BR steam to diesel transition in the KX inner sub area, for which the Heljan class 15 and 16 models with the same driveline content are useful items. I don't quite trust the small motor Heljan use, although these have run beautifully to date.

No trouble with Heljan circuit boards so far, but the soldering has been 'marginal' on some, and I inspect carefully and repair as required before the loco is accepted into service, (examples of the O2 and classes 23, 26/0 that I own, and 35 and 47 owned by friends) the large motor by Buhler generally used by Heljan, happily a good robust performer.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Thanks to the mental conditioning brought about by repeated exposure to images of Thompson locos, my first impression on looking at your now green loco was "A2/1 with the cylinders in the right place for a change". It's certainly "different".
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
nzpaul

Post by nzpaul »

Hatfield Shed wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:29 am
Such as those like myself modelling the BR steam to diesel transition in the KX inner sub area, for which the Heljan class 15 and 16 models with the same driveline content are useful items. I don't quite trust the small motor Heljan use, although these have run beautifully to date.
I should provide an update on the Class 17 I suppose. Good news, the Mitsumi motor worked out well, although I did end up taking it to work with me and skimming one of the flywheels on the lathe to get rid of a vibration causing wobble. Once refitted it's much better, certainly smoother and the power is adequate. It has lost top end speed but still manages what I would guess is a scale 60mph flat out give or take, so quite usable for goods trains. Time will tell if it's reliable or not, I really hope it will be.
Atlantic 3279 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:56 pm Thanks to the mental conditioning brought about by repeated exposure to images of Thompson locos, my first impression on looking at your now green loco was "A2/1 with the cylinders in the right place for a change". It's certainly "different".
The shortening of the A3 has certainly stolen its good looks. It seems to have created the opposite effect to the Peppercorn A1s and A2s. In my opinion, the Peppercorn A2 is the better looking machine for no other reason than my personal taste, the A1s look a bit leggy for want of a better word.
Maybe the addition of lining and lettering to the model will uncover a hidden beauty, but then again, maybe not.

Paul
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

I have sketched a 5'8" wheel 2-8-2, on a symmetrical 18' coupled wheelbase, as a possible use for a GBL Pepp A2 bodyshell. Looks both neat and very potent.
nzpaul wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:41 am ...Class 17 ...manages what I would guess is a scale 60mph flat out give or take, so quite usable for goods trains...
Sounds right, quite likely to have been the rated maximum service speed.
nzpaul

Post by nzpaul »

Hatfield Shed wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:47 am I have sketched a 5'8" wheel 2-8-2, on a symmetrical 18' coupled wheelbase, as a possible use for a GBL Pepp A2 bodyshell. Looks both neat and very potent.
Sounds interesting, post an image up if you're happy to share it.

Now, don't you hate it when this happens? Started applying lining transfers to the artist acrylic paint job and all was going well until one of the transfered caused a nasty reaction with the paint. I'm assuming the transfer adhesive caused this but it's unusual that it didn't happen under the other bands. I did leave this transfer to soak a bit longer than the others and that would appear to be the reason for the reaction. Once I've cleaned the mess up and patched up the paint I'll give the whole thing a coat of clear varnish to protect it before continuing with transfers.
IMG_20211211_105927.jpg
Paul
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Very annoying. I hope you recover the situation satisfactorily.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
nzpaul

Post by nzpaul »

Guess what happened.....you utter utter utter utter..... utter.... utter b#@$&&+++$$#d of a thing.
Things went from bad, to much more bad. After spraying the patch and letting it dry, I started rubbing it down with wet n dry and a bit of water and the paint just started peeling away, so it hadn't adhered to the model properly. My guess is that I'd over thinned it in the first place. Back to the drawing board, covered the model in oven cleaner to strip all the paint away then reprimmed for another go.
I've varnished the tender already so shouldn't suffer the same problem with that....fingers crossed.
Resizer_16391881015510.jpg
On a more positive note, I've made the acquaintance of a bloke named Mike, a well known individual to a few on this forum. I've agreed to assemble a model for him and in something of a horse trading arrangment, he's given me the machine behind the loco. It's a set of GW Models rollers, immensely handy for making things like boilers and other round stuff. So far I've managed something that resembles Santa's sleigh from a piece of scrap brass, it has the potential to be very useful I think.

Paul
nzpaul

Post by nzpaul »

Something of a model making distraction while I wait for paint to dry on the A2s second attempt.
One of the extra animated features of our club layout is a Faller Road System circuit. I'd like to incorporate some of this into my Hawick layout, so to have a vehicle more in keeping with the period I've grafted parts of a Knightwing Atkinson steam truck onto a standard Faller starter kit truck chassis. I couldn't see a way of incorporating the kits wheels and suspension without stuffing up the steering mechanism so the original wheels have stayed, they look a bit too modern but will have to do. To hide the battery and circuit board I've modified the original box to look like a large crate carried in a wooden well side deck. I'm working on a tarpaulin for the rear half. So far it looks like this, bit of fun if nothing else.
Resizer_16397948459140.jpg
Resizer_16397955562800.jpg
Paul
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I do like the sight of a steam wagon. I hope the experience with the peeling oil paint wasn't too sickening.

I had a very minor paint peel on removing some (old) "low tack" masking tape this week, but I've been able to touch it in with a brush. The puzzling thing is that the sprayed Precision Paints Doncaster Green peeled away from some previously sprayed Halfords car-aerosol grey primer which couldn't possibly have been touched by a finger or by anything else capable of depositing oil, grease, wax, moisture or silicone in that position! Maybe a tiny bit of moisture had managed to condense locally in the very short time I had the model in an un-heated shed for the actual spraying task?

Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Paul, don't trust that Mike :wink: he will take your soul and demand a K2,3 or 4, beware, and he knows where you live.
Glad you like his rollers.
Keep up the good work chat soon.
nzpaul

Post by nzpaul »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:34 am I do like the sight of a steam wagon. I hope the experience with the peeling oil paint wasn't too sickening.
A2 has the green parts resprayed using the same paint again. Not wanting to prove my madness by repeating the first effort and expecting a better result, I've experimented with the mixture to find the least amount of thinning required and still be runny enough for the airbrush. Using the #5 nozzle in the Paasche H it can be much thicker than I thought, also a coat of varnish will go on before any transfers this time.
Dave wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:42 pm Paul, don't trust that Mike :wink: he will take your soul and demand a K2,3 or 4, beware, and he knows where you live.
Glad you like his rollers.
Keep up the good work chat soon.
Don't you worry about my soul Dave, not even the gods of rock n roll got their hands on that.
On the subject of K2s though....London Road kits I think, I'll have to figure out how to make a Scottish cab though...hmmmmm, could be tempted to build a pair. 8)

Paul
Last edited by nzpaul on Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Well if you are really stuck, a resin Scottish cab is now possible.
DSCN0881.JPG
I haven't been shouting about it as I don't have a ready supply of parts for the rest of the body and a suitable tender at present.

nzpaul

Post by nzpaul »

That's a hell of a carrot to dandle in front of someone's nose Graeme....looks like a whole Scottish K2 body in the works, conversion for Bachmann K3 perhaps?
Didn't you do a K2 in your thread ages ago, I'll have to go for another look through to find it. I'll send you a pm to discuss further.

Paul
Last edited by nzpaul on Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nzpaul

Post by nzpaul »

Hi All
Most likely my last bit of model making for the year.
The Atkinson Steam Wagon ( correct term wagon....not truck... apologies) is now completed and despite the modern wheels looks acceptably vintage. The wooden crate was painted using the same technique that I use for varnished teak, modified to try and look like braced plywood. The tarp is a piece of old table cloth glued in and sealed with matte medium and painted.
IMG_20211229_100852~3.jpg
IMG_20211229_100839~3.jpg
I've also done a little more on the C11, finishing the running plate and sorting out the mounting to the chassis. One thing I would suggest to anyone contemplating having a go at something like this, think about mounting points early on, I nearly caught myself out with this one and thankfully had a long 10ba screw that passes through the thick chassis section at the rear, I should have extended the top part of the rear box to provide a fixing pont.
Resizer_16407279251150.jpg
Paul