Paul's workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Re: Paul's workbench

Post by nzpaul »

S.A.C. Martin wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:19 pm
That looks excellent Paul. Is the cab type you've used from the old tender drive model? Genius bit of kit bashing there if so.
Thanks Simon, but you might have to lower your standards on the genius bit. The cab is indeed cut from one of the old R398 "Flying Scotsman" body shells, the ones that used to be purchased from Modelspares (remember them?)for a few pounds.

Paul
nzpaul

Post by nzpaul »

Hi All
4419 almost ready to go, just some coal in the tender and some red stripes and it'll be all done.
C1_17.jpg
C1_18.jpg
This is a nasty thing to do to an old Ks kit but here's a direct comparison with a Bachmann C1. I acquired the Bachmann as payment for wiring a layout, the C1 was incapable of dealing with the old owners layout inclines, when offered as payment I didn't need to be asked twice.
c1_19.jpg
Two weeks of lockdown also gave rise to another imaginary loco, I didn't get this one built, but the concept looks like it might work. The "what if" being Gresley, Bulleid and the team dealt with the need for a suitable express loco for the north of Edinburgh and Waverley route at the same time as developing the A3. More or less a Peppercorn A2 but an early version. I've cut and shut an A3 and Pep' A2 scale drawings to end up with this, 6'2" Pacific. The boiler is shortened in the parallel section and ends up pretty much the same as a V2 boiler, all Docaster design ques are there, looks okay to me. I've got enough bits lying around to buld this...it might happen yet.
A2.1.jpg
NZRedBaron
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by NZRedBaron »

Certainly seems interesting; thought of any number/name scheme for them?
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Hi Paul - RCTS 2A has the original A2 draft drawings in it which are worth looking through. There were quite a few very similar drafts done under Thompson and Peppercorn that more resembled the A10s than the engines we got (closer to A2/3).
nzpaul

Post by nzpaul »

NZRedBaron wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:34 am Certainly seems interesting; thought of any number/name scheme for them?
That's a minefield of ideas really. Given that if the type existed, its job would have been to take over all work from the Reid Atlantics. One idea would be to reuse the 98xx group of numbers from the retired Atlantics and also take some of the names not used elsewhere, Teribus, Holyrood, Borderer, Dunedin, Abbotsford, Liddesdale, Hazeldean and Tweeddale all being possibilities.
S.A.C. Martin wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:45 am Hi Paul - RCTS 2A has the original A2 draft drawings in it which are worth looking through. There were quite a few very similar drafts done under Thompson and Peppercorn that more resembled the A10s than the engines we got (closer to A2/3).
Thanks Simon, I keep that volume close by, so I'll check it out.

Paul
nzpaul

Post by nzpaul »

Correction, scratch those names, all used on Peppercorn A1s....new ideas pending. :roll:

Paul
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Although the truth of the P2s' behaviour on the track remains disputed, and the effect of side-spring control in lieu of swing links on the leading truck is yet to be demonstrated in the real world, I had thought, with the unfair advantage of hindsight of course, along slightly different lines regarding a 1934 loco for the Aberdeen route. I envisaged a 2-8-2 but with only the established 5' 8" coupled wheel size of several preceding Doncaster designs, giving a shorter rigid wheelbase, although the need to preserve 6' 6" between the first two coupled axles to accommodate the three-cylinder Gresley system limits the reduction of rigid wheelbase to around 1 foot. The scope for high tractive effort with the smaller wheels, without the need for the larger cylinders of the P2 might have meant that the standard A3/V2 boiler would suffice, without the extra grate area, there being no call for sustained really high speed running. "Obviously" the leading truck would have side spring control. I even considered that such a loco might have been suited to a much wider range of duties, possibly just as suitable as (if not more suitable than) a V2 on a number of jobs that the V2s did once built in numbers.

ADDED LATER: The other potential benefit of the smaller coupled wheels and hence the smaller cylinders is that there might have been scope, if the potential need was appreciated at an early stage, to set the outside cylinders at the limits of the loading gauge leaving a little room between the crossheads etc. for some suitably controlled side-play on the leading coupled wheels, to better suit use on routed with frequent tight curves.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

nzpaul wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:41 am Correction, scratch those names, all used on Peppercorn A1s....new ideas pending...
Border reiver family names and personal titles? Some stirring choices among them, 'Blackstaffe' would do it for me.
nzpaul

Post by nzpaul »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:54 am I even considered that such a loco might have been suited to a much wider range of duties, possibly just as suitable as (if not more suitable than) a V2 on a number of jobs that the V2s did once built in numbers.

ADDED LATER: The other potential benefit of the smaller coupled wheels and hence the smaller cylinders is that there might have been scope, if the potential need was appreciated at an early stage, to set the outside cylinders at the limits of the loading gauge leaving a little room between the crossheads etc. for some suitably controlled side-play on the leading coupled wheels, to better suit use on routed with frequent tight curves.
I often wondered why the P2s had to be so massive. A P1 with properly sorted valve gear suitable for high rpm may have been an idea. Here in NZ the K and J families of engines with coupled wheels of only 4'6" but possessing very free breathing could maintenance 55-60 mph in the appropriate conditions The Ks having long travel Walschaerts gear and the J's having Baker gear. The equivalent rpm makes 90mph for an A3 ,so even a well balanced free steaming loco with 5'2" wheels should be capable of getting along at a fair clip.

Hatfield Shed wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:00 am
nzpaul wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:41 am Correction, scratch those names, all used on Peppercorn A1s....new ideas pending...
Border reiver family names and personal titles? Some stirring choices among them, 'Blackstaffe' would do it for me.
Border reiver??? Must look that up.

Paul
Danby Wiske
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Danby Wiske »

nzpaul wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:37 am Border reiver??? Must look that up.
Historical sheep stealers - I'm sure there's an equivalent down-under...
:wink:
nzpaul

Post by nzpaul »

Danby Wiske wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:48 am
nzpaul wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:37 am Border reiver??? Must look that up.
Historical sheep stealers - I'm sure there's an equivalent down-under...
:wink:
Aha, sheep....of course. You know the Australians don't refer to us as Sheepshagastan for nothing... :lol:
Danby Wiske
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Danby Wiske »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Q: What's the difference between Australia and yoghurt?

A: If you leave yoghurt alone for long enough, it develops cultures...
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Oi !, Beer and Shorts, is a culture, when it's 45c.........

The C1 is impressive, keep it up. :D

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
nzpaul

Post by nzpaul »

Danby Wiske wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:50 pm :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Q: What's the difference between Australia and yoghurt?

A: If you leave yoghurt alone for long enough, it develops cultures...
Wow.... that's Brutal.....as a Kiwi we're all well versed at throwing good humoured barbs at the folk of the west island, it's an ANZAC thing.
In all fairness to them, if you all don't mind me telling a story.....back in my brass banding days (20 to 30 years ago) we did a couple of trips to Queensland (Bundaberg and Townsville) and the ordinary people of Aus destroy any stereotypes. We found them as friendly and welcoming as you could hope for. On one of the bus trip from Brisbane we stopped at a "Matilda's" 24 hour convenience store type thing and met a woman who upon hearing our accent asked where we were from. When she heard we were visiting from NZ she just says " oh, fair dinkum love" in the thickest Queensland accent I've heard. I could have given her a hug, got back on the plane and gone home happy to have experienced Australia at it's best.
manna wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:12 pm G'Day Gents

Oi !, Beer and Shorts, is a culture, when it's 45c.........

The C1 is impressive, keep it up. :D

manna
Thank you...I will certainly will, next project under way already.

Back to the names thing, how's this lot?
Cheviot, Boreray, Castlemilk, Hebridean, North Ronaldsay, Blackface, Soay and Shetland.

We know the naming committee of the LNER had a sense of humour, these might not be that far fetched.

Paul
NZRedBaron
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by NZRedBaron »

Kind of a pity we couldn't throw in a Phar Lap there.