Paul's workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Re: Paul's workbench

Post by nzpaul »

Managed to squeeze a little bit more work in before 2022 gets started. The C11 boiler and cab almost ready for attaching to the running plate. Despite the Director cab looking very similar to the C11, once I started measuring things there are quite a few differences. The windows required lowering and the C11 cab is wider, so I've made a completely new spectacle plate and need to make a new roof. End of play 2021, stating to take shape.
Resizer_16409499978800.jpg
Resizer_16409501074710.jpg
Happy New year all, let's hope this wretched bug buggers off and we can behave normally.... is optimism still a thing?

Paul
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

The extra work on the cab, and no doubt on other parts too, will almost certainly be justified by the better result.

As for optimism, I gave up that sort of thing long ago. I now work on the basis that whatever will be will be. That way, if it turns out to be positive, it's a nice surprise. I don't take disappointment well if optimism has previously been allowed to take deep root.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
nzpaul

Post by nzpaul »

Speaking of extra work, I've spent what seems like an extraordinary amount of time assembling the trailing axle and rear frames of the C11. Instead of a bogie arrangement it's simply a sprung axle with a couple of mm side play, creating what I hope will be more like 4-6-0 chassis behavior on track. In the interest of economy, I've used parts on hand again, so the axle boxes are a spare set for an 8 wheel tender, modified slightly to look closer to the proper set up. The rest is all cut from 0.5mm plastic sheet with the axle running in brass tube. Brakes and vacuum cylinders are taken care of with a pair of Graeme K's resin brake shoes, brass rod and plastic tube.
My original idea was to assemble this lot and glue it permanent to the underside of the cab, but I've managed to secure it quite successfully with a single screw into the cab floor.
Resizer_16414165849160.jpg
Resizer_16414195582180.jpg
Paul
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Rear frame unit looks good. As you know, I'm a big fan of "use what you've got".
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Looking great, pity they never turned up at Kings Cross, unless somebody knows better !!!!!!!

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
nzpaul

Post by nzpaul »

Thank you gents, very kind.
I've had a quick read through locomotives illustrated #62 (Dec'88) and O S Nock's ,Great Locomotives of the LNER, and it would seem they only made it as far south as Newcastle and Carlisle. I can't find anything suggesting that they got beyond their native NBR territory. They were involved in comparison trials with their GNR and NER counterparts, (based from where? I can't find) in which they appear to have proven both the strongest and hungriest of the bunch. O S Nock rates them very highly : "amongst the best pre grouping express locomotives" although it's not clear whether he means LNER group or all pre grouping types.
You could just build one for fun and apply rule 1.

Paul
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Hi Paul, I do know that a GN C1 Atlantic was tested north of Newcastle as it had it's cab rebuilt to suit the loading gauge, I suppose there is always 'Rule 1' lol.

manna
DOCJACOB
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by DOCJACOB »

One of the NBR Atlantic did get to Marylebone station. Early days of LNER and looking at livery choices.

Bizarrely have seen image of NBR coaches hauled by GCR locomotive ex Marylebone.

Suspect was for same corporate image decision.
DOCJACOB
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by DOCJACOB »

Addendum for the records the Edinburgh/Newcastle trial 10/23 involved NBR 878, NE 733 and GN 1447

The NBR Atlantics were also involved in trials with LNWR Redgauntlet in 10/10 between Carlisle and Preston

If applying Rule I; spotted in Edinburgh during wartime were selected SR King Arthur’s, a Q4, an O2 and ex GN Atlantic 4453
nzpaul

Post by nzpaul »

DOCJACOB wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:28 pm Addendum for the records the Edinburgh/Newcastle trial 10/23 involved NBR 878, NE 733 and GN 1447

The NBR Atlantics were also involved in trials with LNWR Redgauntlet in 10/10 between Carlisle and Preston

If applying Rule I; spotted in Edinburgh during wartime were selected SR King Arthur’s, a Q4, an O2 and ex GN Atlantic 4453
Thanks for researching the details of the comparison trials, interesting stuff.
I'm a firm believer in rule one, but a King Arthur....even if one has a viable excuse, that seems a step too far, not that they're ugly or anything.....

Paul
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

I believe a few King Arthur's were borrowed from the Southern, and shedded in the Newcastle area.

manna
Albert Hill
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Albert Hill »

Heaton housed 10 for a few months during the war to mainly assist freight movement pressures.
nzpaul

Post by nzpaul »

This project lowers the recent high standard of model making on forum but, rest assured, it has been a bit of fun. The idea for this sprang from the construction of Graeme L's EB1 and discovering that the Hanazono/Tenshodo spud motor bogie was more capable than expected. Primarily built to assist my P1 to haul a 30+ wagon train up my spiral. The P1 is quite capable of 40+ wagons on a flat layout but add a spiral into the mix and I want to guarantee the same train can be hauled on my own layout.
The 35mm Wheelbase spud has been installed under a slightly modified Triang Hornby wagon and 150g of weight installed for adhesion. The motor and DCC decoder are wired to a piece of Veroboard glued to the floor. Setting up the decoder to speed match the P1 with its 60:1 gearing was interesting but after an hour or so of mucking about the two operate at close enough to the same speed range without load. A little work still required to disguise the too short wheelbase but I'm happy that it's mechanically successful.
The spud can manage 10 wagons comfortably alone so combined with the P1, 30 to 35 wagons up the spiral should be within limits.
I don't suppose it would be any surprise to mention that I've called it a Tow Truck... :roll: What else?
Tow Truck.jpg
Tow Truck 2.jpg
Paul
nzpaul

Post by nzpaul »

A slightly more serious post than the previous...
I've assembled a pair of High Level gearboxes today and thought I'd share my experience with them. The smaller Road Runner is for a Judith Edge kit I have on the go and the larger Roadrunner Plus will go into my B3 when it gets to front of the queue.
These were purchased as the Road Runner is the recommend drive for the JE kit and I purchased a couple of Road Runner plus boxes to give them a go.
HLGB.jpg
After assembling a number of Comet and a couple of DJH boxes I found these a bit disappointing. Both frames were re drilled to accept mounting of the Mabushi FF030 and FF050 motors. Although the end result is a pair of very quiet drives, the road to success was difficult in comparison to the Comet GB1 I'm used to. The axle gears required reaming to be a comfortable fit on a 1/8" axle (and no they weren't 3mm to start with... in case you're wondering),the lay shaft spacers didn't fit and the instructions suggest gluing the lay shafts in place in the frames, which is a less than satisfying proposition. I came to two different conclusions to fix the lay shafts satisfactorily, the Road Runner has brass shim soldered over the shaft holes to retain the shaft and for the RRPlus I threw the steel shafts out and fitted 2mm brass rod instead so I could solder the shaft ends to the gear frame. These both took around twice as long to build as the Comet GB, simply because of the time taken to fettle the parts to do their job. I must stress that the end results are very nice running gearboxes but achieved at a cost. I'll reserve final judgement on them until they are powering locos but from a builder perspective I'm not particularly impressed. For the same price the Comet has metal gears and is a lot more robust, the flip side is the High Level will fit in tighter places.
I'm not trying to put anyone off using High Level and they are very quiet, but be prepared to work for it.

Paul
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

I have made many High Level Boxes in about 30 minutes or less.
The main gear may need a reamer through it, but takes seconds to do.
The Silver steel shafts cut them 1mm wider than the etched sides and a dab of superglue holds them , never had a issue with any.