Paul's workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Paul's workbench

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

The old Margate B12 having been such good fodder for various conversions and upgrades over the years, and my own example having been ripe for a further upgrade for several years now, I'm interested to see what you've been doing Paul. Will it retain the current gloss finish, or is some toning down part of the plan?
I have to confess that with so many projects on my list of intentions, and following receipt of a very favourable report of the latest version of the Hornby B12, I have now given way, ordered a new loco, and put my plans for my existing example a long way down the list of priorities.
Even so, at the rather high price I very definitely don't like the idea of where the new loco is made and where much of my money will therefore be going.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by nzpaul »

Whilst it puts me out of step with most real modellers, the gloss finish has grown on me. I don't have a desire to recreate the grubby, work stained reality of the 1930s railway world. All of the locos I've built in the last few years and most likely the layout I'm working on to utilise them, will live in a utopian state of polished shininess (sorry).
Hornby's new B12 is something special if all the things I've heard are anything to go on, perhaps the best model in the range. I've hummed and harred over one myself but more locomotives aren't really necessary....or are they? 8)
On your last point, Chinese manufactured goods are almost unavoidable, I'd rather not support the CCP either, but until another country is willing to provide skilled, cheap labour we're stuck with them. Although, most of us who maintain threads on this forum are promoting a more " do it yourself" attitude towards the hobby, which means a good proportion of our hobby spend goes to small UK based manufacturers.

Paul
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Your last point is a very good one Paul as perhaps this is the logical direction we all take after (most likely) starting off with a train 'set' with all the inaccuracies that may be the case with locos and rolling stock in these sets.

Then attention to detail (or pedantry in my case) sets in and we find that we wish to more closely as possible represent particular aspects of the hobby so we start heading off on this path, often fraught with (almost) insurmountable challenges. This is where the forum has been invaluable in getting authoritative advice on all aspects of model railways, as well as getting much additional help on a 'one-on-one' direct basis either through PMs or where fortunate enough (as I have been) to get to know members in a personal capacity. Take a bow gents!

So as you suggest Paul, this is where my expenditure is going - with small UK based manufacturers of components, kits, and the like (although I am looking forward to an accurate r-t-r G5 and D49 'Shire' hitting the market).

Graeme Leary
New Zealand
nzpaul

Post by nzpaul »

Hi All
Something of an interim project while I decide which loco to work on next. SE Fiecast K3, K's C1 and G-Train B3 all waiting to be built, just waiting for the inspiration to kick in to get one started.
In the meantime I'm mucking about with Triang chassis' again. I've have some minor concerns that my under construction layout may end up taxing the drive train of the post 2005 Hornby A3's and A4's. I haven't broken any of my own yet but I've had to repair a few for others, an A4, Royal Scot and a Duchess all had failure of the gears on either the first or second layshafts in the Hornby gearbox, they appear to have split with only a little provocation.
I thought it might be a good idea to try and build a bomb proof A3 by combining the Triang chassis and MW1001 motor with wheels and valve gear from the modern version. I fitted the chassis with 3mm axle bearings (From North Yard here in NZ) and sleeved the Gear using the same bearings. Loctiting the gear in place was tricky but I got there in the end with only minor expulsion of expletives. The valve gear bracket was cut and attached to the remains of the old plastic bracket with epoxy. The bogie is the new type and the bracket was simply rearranged to fit on the old chassis. Brakes are from a Mainly Trains etch. Testing so far has been successful, obviously it's not particularly refined but not noisy either which is a little surprising. Once weight has been added I'm confident it should be more that adequate in the tractive effort department.
2745_2.jpg
2745_1.jpg
Cheers
Paul
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Those old TriAng/Hornby loco's should outlast you, I know mine will outlast me, a couple of mine are already 50 years old. :D

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
nzpaul

Post by nzpaul »

manna wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:57 pm G'Day Gents

Those old TriAng/Hornby loco's should outlast you, I know mine will outlast me, a couple of mine are already 50 years old. :D

manna
That's the idea Manna, I wont spill the beans on my age, but it "might" outlast me... 8)

Only a small amount of progress today, sorted the Cartazzi truck by re-purposing (trendy aye) a pair of old Bachmann castings off one of the V2's I modified years ago, and the wheel set is re-cycled from a Mehano USRA Pacific. I've also added some plasticard bits to fill in the void above the front bogie wheels. It's not the best representation of the A3 but it is being achieved on a very low budget. I've settled on 2745 Captain Cuttle for it's identity, along with Flamingo that will make two of the Canal trio for my layout. I think I'll have to do a version of Colorado as well just to complete the set...
2745_4.jpg
Cheers
Paul
NZRedBaron
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by NZRedBaron »

When are you modelling your layout? There's a post-1946 numbered Colorado on Hatton's website, if it's of interest.
nzpaul

Post by nzpaul »

NZRedBaron wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:36 am When are you modelling your layout? There's a post-1946 numbered Colorado on Hatton's website, if it's of interest.
Fairly loosely, the decade leading up to WW2. But I've also built things like the Thompson Q1 and the Gresley V4 which date from 1941/2 so no hard and fast rules. I'm not opposed to buying more A3s, but I've got enough bits to build another few so no good reason to harm the credit card.

Paul
NZRedBaron
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by NZRedBaron »

Fair enough then; Hattons did say their Colorado is apparently a bit of a poor runner- though they don't give any details as to how it's a poor runner.

For what it's worth:
https://www.hattons.co.uk/461328/hornby ... etail.aspx
nzpaul

Post by nzpaul »

Hi All
Very little in the way of LNER inspired model making going on here over the last few months. I've been on a Marklin bender for a while and have managed to coble together a customised BR03 with home made large smoke deflectors and various other bits, not sure if anyone here wants to see that kind of thing in public.
Graeme Leary dropped by for a visit few weeks ago and we had a quick Skype session with John, Dave and Mike,( I think that's everybody), it may have softened my outlook on such social media gadgets, nice to meet people face to face, looks like a good laugh is enjoyed by all involved.
I've managed to make a short video of the ACFI B12 running on our club layout with few home made coaches, including my "rock star" tour coach.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u44HumECMc4

A recent comunique with Graeme King may well see a return to normal activities shortly, one Raven A2, another A3 and a V2 all in a half done state awaiting inspiration to strike.

Paul
nzpaul

Post by nzpaul »

Hi All
Small amount of progress on 2745 over the weekend. I've fitted the round dome and loco handrails. The tender has been assembled from a Hornby chassis and wheel set with one of Graeme King's resin tops. 2745 was the only one of the Carlisle trio with the NT type tender, seems to have run with one for its entire LNER career after July 1930, I'm guessing that's when it began it's long term stay at Canal shed.
2745_5.jpg
I've been given a 10kg pack of #6 lead shot (the stuff for loading shot gun cartridges) and used some of it on this loco. It's quite heavy for the amount of space used and 2745 now weighs in at 400grams with plenty of space left if extra is needed. Worth a look for those who like extra tractive effort.

Paul
nzpaul

Post by nzpaul »

Hi All
Livery application on 2745, sprayed with primer followed by Tamiya XF5. The green is a little pasty in its matt form but will liven up once varnished. I'm in the midst of my favorite part, transfers and bow pen lining....joyful stuff I say :wink: :roll:
I've stopped here for a break, which may last a few days so figured I'd update the Blog (are they still called that?)
2745_9.jpg
The gang's all here....Thanks to Graeme L who kindly added some nameplates to an order of his for me, I now have all required to complete the Carlisle trio.
2745_7.jpg
While I'm at it, does anyone know of a good source of information for the Thames Forth Express? I believe it's made up of LMS stock ( :shock: ..what??) but precious little to be found via Google.

Cheers
Paul
NZRedBaron
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by NZRedBaron »

Might help to also look up The Waverly as well; it was the post-war replacement for the Thames-Forth Express.
nzpaul

Post by nzpaul »

NZRedBaron wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:56 am Might help to also look up The Waverly as well; it was the post-war replacement for the Thames-Forth Express.
That's the one, Waverley name adopted in 1957 so outside my timeframe but certainly the same service. The only useful photo I can find online is on the Steve Banks site, showing "Coronach" leaving Waverley station with the "LMS formation" of the train. Given that the LNER only handled the train between Edinburgh and Carlisle I'm guessing that all coaching stock was provided by the LMS, I'm just wanting to know what to use. Maybe a trawl through RMWeb might work, but there's some fairly knowledgeable types lurking in these parts.

Paul
Danby Wiske
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Danby Wiske »

As it happens, there's an article by Ian Nuttall in the latest 'Railway Modeller' magazine (July 2021) concerning the Thames-Forth Express, with lots of information about the service as running in the late 1930s. Are you able to get this 'down under'?